Royal Flora 2006

iainiain101

Many thanks, Eek and Asmeron. I think with this info we can find a song thaew out to the show. As I and others noted, getting one back isn't a problem.

When we went to Royal Flora for the King's Birthday in 2006 everyone was wearing yellow. I expect that's changed. Judging by what I saw today displayed in the windows of clothing shops catering to Thais, it looks like pink is the new yellow. Just to be sure, I laundered my pink blouse tonight so it will be dry for ironing tomorrow.

Nancy, i went this eve, and caught a songtaew along Huay Kaew Road. Apparently the songtaews have a placard which says they go to Ratchapuek (I didnt see the placard, sorry, as was in a group).

We paid 300 baht for a group of 5 of us going, and 50 baht each on the way back. We went from Huay Kaew Road and returned to there.

I made the mistake of trying to go to Ratchapruek last night hoping for a decent firework display. I picked up my parents at 5.30pm at the Amari Hotel and for the next 2 hours we were stuck in a traffic jam on the canal road, never seen anything like it before. 4 lanes of cars bumper to bumper, surely not everybody was going to see the fireworks!!!

If anybody knows of another reason for the tailback I would love to know.

Cheers :)

Thaihog, had some pretty bad traffic on the 4th along there (nothing like 2 hours though). But, with yesterday being the Kings official birthday, could be that people went out in droves then. There was also some kind of fair at Prasert Land which runs between Canal and Nimmenheimen. Although im only speculating, i think the bumper to bumper really could have been because of the official celebrations to see the fireworks!

I made the mistake of trying to go to Ratchapruek last night hoping for a decent firework display. I picked up my parents at 5.30pm at the Amari Hotel and for the next 2 hours we were stuck in a traffic jam on the canal road, never seen anything like it before. 4 lanes of cars bumper to bumper, surely not everybody was going to see the fireworks!!!

If anybody knows of another reason for the tailback I would love to know.

Cheers :)

Yep, same here....I got out the jam, went to the next junction and managed to get in at 9.00pm. The fireworks had finished and everyone was leaving. Even though there was still a jam to get in!?

To be honest, the traffic management was a bit of a joke.....the reason is that lots of cars were trying to leave and at the same time lots of cars trying to get in, combined with appalling traffic management at the entrance = huge traffic jams.

Suppose my own fault for not going early, at least saw some of the fireworks from inside the car! They were on at about 8.30pm.

Feel sorry for all the people from all over Thailand that did not get in.

How could they solve that issue?

Some kind of official parking area away from the site then a regular minibus/songtaew service to get people from A-B?

Was in a group when i went, and had the option to go by car, but we realised that it would be easier to just go via songtaew. Mainly because we realised parking would be a nightmare.

How could they solve that issue?

Some kind of official parking area away from the site then a regular minibus/songtaew service to get people from A-B?

Was in a group when i went, and had the option to go by car, but we realised that it would be easier to just go via songtaew. Mainly because we realised parking would be a nightmare.

We left Hang Dong at 4pm expecting to be delayed but we were inside, parked and eating by 5pm. Police control was virtually non-existant until you got to the entrance and even there they didn't really know how to deal with it.

The Fireworks started at 7.45 and it was a very good show. Those who started out late should try again before 10 dec' because it is worth it. Just try leaving an hour or so earlier.

T_Dog -- thanks for replying with a lead on how to get a song thaew to Royal Flora. Where is Prasert Land? On Huey Kaew or Suthep Rd? North or south side of the road. I expect Huey Kaew, since you said it's between Nimm. and Canal Rd, but I'm checking, because it isn't listed on my "Big Map". Neither is Smoothie Blues. Thanks!

Nancy,

Just check out a tuk tuk or song tao pretty much anywhere. Some won't want to go. Easier around the big hotels. Getting back is easier. It isn't that far away. If you don't have a tuk tuk buddy, and need a cab, call one. I am sure you have the number. Not really a big problem.

During the day, you will find an umbrella handy. This garden lacks shade !

We went again yesterday, and seeing all the trafic, we took the Samoeng road, then the road that leads straight to the Night Safari/ Royal Flora roundabout. There was no trafic at all, and you can park up and walk into the Royal Flora. This was just after 4pm yesterday.

Iain

Hubby and I went Sat, getting a song thaew on Huey Kaew, just west of Nimm at 4 pm. We got caught in a massive traffic jam and didn't get into Royal Flora until 5:30 pm. Based on comments on this thread, we went straight to the tram ticket seller and saw her sell the last tickets of the day to someone ahead of us in the line.

We walked around, looking for dinner, and realized all the food seller locations from 2006 inside the show were shut down. So we headed out to the food sellers in the parking lot and found a scene of absolute mayhem. No orderly lines (queque or whatever you Brits call 'em) and everyone pushing in front of you to buy food. Finally we got some and found the only place to sit down was on a curb. We would have paid 100 baht/person more to eat at a real restaurant, which is why we wandered about the show a bit looking for the restaurants that don't exist anymore.

We didn't want to brave the crowds inside the show after eating, so we climbed that hill outside the entrance, found some friends and ended up watching the wonderful fireworks show from there. The bathrooms nearest that hill were ghastly. No evidence of porta-potties having been brought in for the crowds.

After the show, we piled into a song thaew with 15 other people and sat in the parking lot and road near the show for over an hour. When we finally got onto the canal rd we marveled at the traffic jammed up on the other side. That must have been the people who came for the fireworks still trying to get into the show -- at 10 pm! By the time we got home at 10:30 we were so stiff, we had to be helped out of the song thaew!

The fireworks show was lovely. And despite the captive buyers, the food and song thaews were not overpriced. And despite the ghastly sanitary conditions, we didn't have any ill effects from the cheap and surprisingly good food. But the planning and crowd control was non-existent. I don't think we'll go again for a big event. It would be nice to actually see the gardens, though, so we might go back some day when nothing much is going on.

Hubby and I went Sat, getting a song thaew on Huey Kaew, just west of Nimm at 4 pm. We got caught in a massive traffic jam and didn't get into Royal Flora until 5:30 pm. Based on comments on this thread, we went straight to the tram ticket seller and saw her sell the last tickets of the day to someone ahead of us in the line.

We walked around, looking for dinner, and realized all the food seller locations from 2006 inside the show were shut down. So we headed out to the food sellers in the parking lot and found a scene of absolute mayhem. No orderly lines (queque or whatever you Brits call 'em) and everyone pushing in front of you to buy food. Finally we got some and found the only place to sit down was on a curb. We would have paid 100 baht/person more to eat at a real restaurant, which is why we wandered about the show a bit looking for the restaurants that don't exist anymore.

We didn't want to brave the crowds inside the show after eating, so we climbed that hill outside the entrance, found some friends and ended up watching the wonderful fireworks show from there. The bathrooms nearest that hill were ghastly. No evidence of porta-potties having been brought in for the crowds.

After the show, we piled into a song thaew with 15 other people and sat in the parking lot and road near the show for over an hour. When we finally got onto the canal rd we marveled at the traffic jammed up on the other side. That must have been the people who came for the fireworks still trying to get into the show -- at 10 pm! By the time we got home at 10:30 we were so stiff, we had to be helped out of the song thaew!

The fireworks show was lovely. And despite the captive buyers, the food and song thaews were not overpriced. And despite the ghastly sanitary conditions, we didn't have any ill effects from the cheap and surprisingly good food. But the planning and crowd control was non-existent. I don't think we'll go again for a big event. It would be nice to actually see the gardens, though, so we might go back some day when nothing much is going on.

Go back on a normal weekday. The last time we went on a wednesday in September there was only us and two more visitors in the entire place. The shops were open but the only 'food' available was Ice Cream. Oh; and the Loo's were clean because there was nobody to make them dirty!