Crackdown On Drunk Drivers; Strict Law Against Drunk Driving

george

Govt getting strict with drunk drivers

30117839-01.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government is imposing a strict law against drunk driving, under which violators will be arrested immediately and be subject to prosecution within 48 hours, a Bangkok seminar on road safety was told yesterday.

A mandatory fine of between Bt5,000 and Bt20,000 will also be imposed on convicted violators, along with the drivers' licence being suspended for six months or forever for repeat offenders, judge Prasong Mahaleetrakool said.

The law is currently being tried out at Bangkok's Thung Maha Mek police station, where drunkdriving violations are the most frequent. "The casualties from road accident in their jurisdiction is even higher than robberies or other crimes," Pol MajGeneral Anuchai Lekbamrung told the seminar.

The law will be strictly enforced during the holiday period. Each year, at least 12,000 people die and 100,000 get injured from road accidents, which costs the state around Bt240 billion. The Don't Drive Drunk foundation is concerned that the rate of road accidents would rise next year when liquor will become three times cheaper thanks to the Asean free trade agreement.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-12-03

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi..

I am all for this one, if they ever manage to pull it off.

However the cops will be way too busy harassing motorbikes for entirely made-up "offenses" so they won't have the time to check anyone for alcohol levels.

And even if they manage to catch a drunkard by chance (probably because he was on a motorbike) it will be the usual 200 Baht straight into the cop's pocket and he'll be on his merry way again.

regards

Thanh

So have they provided the BIB with breathalysers?

Or we still down to one unit at Din Daeng on a Saturday night.

I'm all for it.

Come on, is it April 1st. Booze going down in price.

It will never happen.

Your'e wrong about the breathaliser. I got stopped and breathalised on FRIDAY night in Silom!

I'm all for booze being 3 times cheaper though. It's the 1st I've heard of that!! :)

"The casualties from road accident in their jurisdiction is even higher than robberies or other crimes," Pol MajGeneral Anuchai Lekbamrung told the seminar.

What kind of stupid statement is this?

That's like saying "In Italy even more people speak Italian than English". As if its some kind of surprising fact.

Of course more people die or are injured in road accidents than other crimes! That's normal anywhere.

Even in nations with the safest roads the chances of a casualty in a road accident is about 1,000 times more likely than casualties from other crimes".

Talk about stating the bleeding obvious.

"The law is currently being tried out at Bangkok's Thung Maha Mek police station, where drunkdriving violations are the most frequent."

I love how in Thailand laws are always given a "test run" in certain places before making them... I don't know... "official" (?) everywhere. Why can't they just say, "No more drunk driving in Thailand!" Put a foot down and be done with it.

Instead, they institute this "No drunk driving here for now..." policy which, of course by dint of logic, means "Drunk driving is still okay everywhere else for now..."

No wonder people don't take laws like this seriously.

All it takes is a single cop with a loved one maimed or killed as the result of drunk driving and he can have no problem arresting the person. I know drinking and driving seems to be humorous for some, but it kills and injuries many people. Alcoholics often lose control and are unable to realize they are incapable of driving.

So have they provided the BIB with breathalysers?

Or we still down to one unit at Din Daeng on a Saturday night.

I'm all for it.

Come on, is it April 1st. Booze going down in price.

It will never happen.

I got stopped outside of Pat Pong at 0100 hrs about a year ago and they had a hand held breathalyser. Unlike my girlfriend, I blew a zero. I also wanted to comment on the new fine. 5000 locals - - 20,000 farang ++

Enforce the helmet law. A lot of head injuries are more than likely in those figures. See so many people just coming off their bikes.

Yesterday when I left my mooban, there were 2 police on a motorbike, they were headed the same way as me, once out on the main road 2 motorbikes, drivers not wearing helmets, passed right by the police and they didn't even bat any eye. Apparently the police only enforce the helmet law at check points only?

So if I get pinched i'll only be looking at a fine of between 5k and 20k and a loss of licence, awesome........

In reality though, I bet if i get caught it will cost me significantly more.

One would think it would depend on how drunk, if there was an accident, from the way you talk, you must be quite a drinker

374.bmp