Pollution

Methuselah

I assume OP means air pollution? There's lots of indiscriminate burning around my area. Someone's idea of land maintenance i.e. burn away all the shrubs that's grown in the last year on their 10 rais. Also, some people think it's OK to burn their garden wastes (leaves, grass cuttings, twigs) in their backyards. There are squatters nearby as well who think it necessary to keep a smouldering flame going due to recent cool nights. Mine is but a small part of Pattaya but I think fairly representative of what goes on elsewhere aropund here. Add that all up, I guess air quality deteriorates especially when there is little breeze.

The pollution at ground level in Jomtien/Pattaya is the worst i've ever seen or been in.

It's abrupt deterioration is a combination of construction of many large buildings and the forever ongoing construction of Thappraya Rd.

The cement mixing plant located in the heart of Jomtien.

The neglect of road surface cleaning which means a large ammount of dust and sand is allways on the roadsides, which gets thrown up everytime a large vehicle drives past.

The 1000's of motor vehicles (that are unregulated in Thailand) that continuously pump out black smoke (very detremental to the environment )

Oh, and lets not forget to blame the weather!

I believe they call it an "Inversion" it traps the smog and building dust and happens just in time for "high season"

to create a lovely impression for all the high class tourists :D

Absolutely correct.

Temperature rises with altitude so warm surface air remains at ground level trapping all pollution.

It does make for a lovely sunset though. :)

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

Thanks for the helpful replies.Googled "weather inversion effect" and found more information than my unscientific brain could digest.However it makes for interesting reading.

Seems the inversion effect is with us again today.

Yup (cough!). Inversion (hack!). With us again today (spit!). Uh huh... agree!

Besides all of the above. This time of year is the NorthEast monsoon season and the winds are coming down

from all the land masses to the North and East including all the pollution from China.

Where as during the SouthWest monsoon season, late spring/summer ,the clear winds are from the

Andaman Sea + more rain for clear air.

Natural inversion normally means that warm air in higher regions covers cold air on the ground. That is why it is called inversion after all, because under normal weather conditions the air gets cooler the higher it rises.

I assume it is man made pollution (burning all kind of stuff) and lack of wind to stir it up.

Cheers

The irony is that the haze/smog/dust layer comes with cooler weather: Ideal for turning off the air con and letting in cooler breezes, but then having to dust and clean everyday to remove the dirt... or, turn the air con back on to keep things (including my respiratory system) clean. <sigh....>

This is my fifth year in the same condo in Jomtien, and this is the first time I recall the floors and furnishings getting so dirty so quickly. I do recall periods of the haze/smog/dust in past years, but don't recall things being so dusty.

My wife made a comment today that it looked like rain because to her it looked like grey clouds.

Sadly, I had ti inform her that it was Smog.'

The online weather maps were calling it Fog I guess not to frighten the tourist away.

In the states certain government agencies monitor the air quality daily and report when it's a bad Ozone (Smog) day.

There are also the usual warnings for older and health compromised people to stay indoors.

My question is: Is there a Thai monitoring system in place to report the daily ozone levels and does it get reported?

Repeated exposure to ozone pollution may cause permanent damage to the lungs. Even when ozone is present in low levels, inhaling it triggers a variety of health problems including chest pains, coughing, nausea, throat irritation, and congestion.

I'm having all these symptoms right now.

It also can worsen bronchitis, heart disease, emphysema, and asthma, and reduce lung capacity.

I guess it's time to get out the face mask again.

We just got back from a three day trip to Pattaya. We moved to Korat a couple of yrs ago mainly because of the on going pollution in Pattaya. We lived in Pattaya for five yrs, but the pollution, the people, the traffic etc just got too bad. Same in Bangkok. The air up here is clean, and during the three winter months cool with low humidity.

Barry

The pollution at ground level in Jomtien/Pattaya is the worst i've ever seen or been in.

It's abrupt deterioration is a combination of construction of many large buildings and the forever ongoing construction of Thappraya Rd.

The cement mixing plant located in the heart of Jomtien.

The neglect of road surface cleaning which means a large ammount of dust and sand is allways on the roadsides, which gets thrown up everytime a large vehicle drives past.

The 1000's of motor vehicles (that are unregulated in Thailand) that continuously pump out black smoke (very detremental to the environment )

Oh, and lets not forget to blame the weather!

Some excellent points made here, what is Thailand doing about them? - nothing!

Thappaya road is just a total disgrace, the present administration appears to do zero, apart from lining there ...........

Road surfaces are torn up by vehicles that should never be driving on them in the first place, the problem is city wide, yet what is done about it?

15 years ago Thailand used to do something about the unregulated cars, trucks polluting the environment with un-necessary noise and pollution, now they do nothing!

Think what a money spinner cleaning up the roads could be for both the government and police.

I refuse to spend any time in areas where the traffic rules, try sitting at a bar\restaurant along Sukhumvit, Jomtien even Siam country club Road, to name only a few places, if the air pollution doesn't drive you away, the noise will!

Or is it just the weather? Maybe the effort to clean up the environment will come too late - as usual for Thailand, in the late 70s early 80s Pattaya was famous for being "the jewel of Asia" due to the pristine clear waters in the gulf, due to pollution Pattaya had to reinvent itself, what next? industrial refuge site, probably fitting as many houses are built on old rubbish tips!

Come on Mr Mayor, do "something" for Pattaya........................ :)

I also feel that this pollution could well be here indefinitely, and would only ecalate as the construction of buildings and roads continue, so will the cement mixing trucks and traffic increases as the roads are widend to allow more black smoked pumping vehicles.

All this needs to be regulated to monitor pollution, but not over here in Thailand im afraid.

Unless it drives people away from the area then something might be done about it, but if everyone keeps on coming here then it's Status quo!

There's a mobile air pollution monitoring station parked up on second road,left hand side just past Mikes shopping Mall

the readings from that location must be sky high..but where are the figures published ????????

Edited by johng

I have one of those laser-beam pens and it can be seen going upwards through the polluted smog for ages. Quite impressive.

On a more serious note, (this might be coincidence) but I have been coughing up phlegm (discoloured) for the last 4 weeks and I am otherwise O.K. (No common cold or flu). Maybe that is all the stuff I'm breathing in?

"Thappaya road is just a total disgrace, the present administration appears to do zero . . . Come on Mr Mayor, do "something" for Pattaya"

Now, that's not entirely fair - the Mayor is on TV almost every night receiving Certificates of Achievement and displaying his amazing ability to sing in some vague linguistic variation of English. He even "does" Elvis! . . . :) . . . :D

"There's a mobile air pollution monitoring station parked up on second road,left hand side just past Mikes shopping Mall"

Yes, it's been there for several years -- have you checked to see if the tires are flat? -- I think it might be an abandoned vehicle . . . :)

"There's a mobile air pollution monitoring station parked up on second road,left hand side just past Mikes shopping Mall"

Yes, it's been there for several years -- have you checked to see if the tires are flat? -- I think it might be an abandoned vehicle . . . :)

That must have been there at least two or three years now I often pass it

Re the smog I stayed on the 13 floor of Centre Condo recently and the haze over the city is incredible from up there you can actually see it settle and if the is a little breeze you see the whole cloud move