Home Made Sausage

cheesey

Hi,I would like to give you an update on the MR Moo sausages.We had a BBQ last night and the sausages went down a treat they cooked really well and never split like most sausages we have tried locally.We made from the 10Kg kit 200 sausages,not bad for 640THB plus the cost of the pork and a few breadcrumbs.Top marks to Mr Moo.

So what exactly is the "sausage mix' you get with the kit, that you need to buy extra pork? The "kit" is supposed to make 10Kg of sausages. Maybe if we saw the instructions all would be clear :)

Why don,y you buy a kit and find out.

Hi,I would like to give you an update on the MR Moo sausages.We had a BBQ last night and the sausages went down a treat they cooked really well and never split like most sausages we have tried locally.We made from the 10Kg kit 200 sausages,not bad for 640THB plus the cost of the pork and a few breadcrumbs.Top marks to Mr Moo.

So what exactly is the "sausage mix' you get with the kit, that you need to buy extra pork? The "kit" is supposed to make 10Kg of sausages. Maybe if we saw the instructions all would be clear :)

Why don,y you buy a kit and find out.

Don,t

I think that is one of the things that I don't like about the webpage. I think that if your are to sell a product you should list all that is received. Do your products contain MSG or other food additives or are the natural? I think these are things that I would like to see on the page.

I do think that you should recommend a boiled ham brining kit, that is something anyone can make at home and the flavor will be good, but bacon takes a lot more effort to produce good results.

Is more offered than just spices and casings if so 640 baht seems a bit steep? After buying the pork the total cost of your sausage would be more than 170 baht a kilo, without a proper stuffer, it would take about 4 hours to stuff 10 kilos of sausage by hand and commercial sausages are about 250 baht a kilo. If you had some kind of stuffing tube that hooks up to a simple plastic bottle, that would save a lot of time.

I like the concept of DIY. I think that making sausages, hams, and other cured meats are something that anyone can do and is a lot of fun. I do think that with all of the resources on the net giving free recipes and tips, I don't know why people buy kits. But it could be helpful for a novice without the confidence to try themselves. So Kudos. I think that it is a good starter business.

One nice sausage makign website is Len poli http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index.htm He offers a lot of good tips, advice and recipes. He is a real butcher and has a wealth of knowledge there to access at his webpage. So if you would rather make your own sausage with control over the flavor, give it a shot.

There are a lot of food suppliers in Thailand, and yes most sell wholesale but there are few that offer retail proportions.

FOOD EQ CO., LTD, located in BKK sell all the spices,curing powders, food additives, and casings. (PM me if you want their sales email) I also know about 4 other companies that sell various meat making ingredients and will gladly give their sales emails as well. Their prices for casings are less than half of what MrMOO charges. They ship small orders via mail so shipping is quite cheap usually less than 50 baht. I got 24mm casings enough for more than 10 kilos for less than 250 baht including shipping.

I think that people will be quite disappointed with the Bacon. If you don't smoke it for 2-3 days it won't come close to good flavor. Just using liquid smoke and an oven will not produce quality bacon.

Math was always a problem for alot of kids. Hasn't improved for adults I can see.

450 meters is not 45000 sausages of 10 cm. Since when are there 1000 cm in one meter?

If you want sausages of 10 cm, you may also forget some waist when filling and linking.

So...450 meters, make that 400 usable meters and that makes 4000 sausages.

So costprice per sausage is 3100/4000 = 0.775 Baht. That's just a factor of ten!.

Let's say 1 Baht per sausage...not too bad anyway. Abroad you can buy them cheaper, but import tax and shipping still have to be paid

But what I don't see on the site is any mentioning about the caliber of the casings or better how much strand there is in one kit.

Now, who is doing he marketing for the Moo guy :)

• 8 months later...

we are changing web site and info soon but you can get all the products for making bacon or sausage at

www.mrmooltd.com

or get shipped to you from

www.mrmoopattaya.net

for already made sausage and bacon, cheese, pies, ...have a look

Must admit great service from [email protected] . I emailed then phoned and good sent at once :)

I am in Pai and want to make some sausages. How can I get some skins. herbs and spices and a recipe?? And how do I pay? My wife will not allow me to go to Pattaya....

Colin

I have a wife like that ;)

I should have the web site finished tonight, so you can go there and order and all info will be there.

I will post when done to let you all know, sorry we had some problems, but working them out.