Driving License Assistance

ianh68

I need shortly to get a 5 year Thai driving license on the back of my 1 year temporary one. After that I will try to get an International Driving Permit. As I live in Nonthaburi I think I need to get the license in Nonthaburi but the permit in Bangkok.

Since the application forms are in Thai I need a Thai speaker to help me with them. I also need assistance in visiting the relevant Department of Land Transportation offices (one on Tiwanon Road, one on Phaholyothin Road).

Does anyone know where I can get someone to help me out for a consideration? It sounds like a day's work.

Remember that the "temporary" one year licence has to actually expire before you go for the five year one.

You might also reconsider that International Permit. Only reason for it might be overseas where they couldn't read your Thai licence.

For everything I've needed to do, including getting my licence in Rayong, I've found Thais in the office have been exceptionally helpful in getting my forms filled out.

For example, this afternoon I was at the water company, and I don't even know how many forms, all in Thai, I had filled out, photocopied, and I signed where they said to sign.

You could probably do something similar in the Land Transportation office in Nonthaburi. Good chance someone there speaks reasonable English, and even if not, they'll most likely help by filling in your name and address and whatever other information is needed, and you have with you - remember to take every piece of official paper you own, as well as photocopies of it all :-)

Best of luck.

Remember that the "temporary" one year licence has to actually expire before you go for the five year one.

You might also reconsider that International Permit. Only reason for it might be overseas where they couldn't read your Thai licence.

For everything I've needed to do, including getting my licence in Rayong, I've found Thais in the office have been exceptionally helpful in getting my forms filled out.

All very valid points, with the exception of the comment that "they cant read your Thai license", The "new" ID card type DL has details in both English and Thai, so no issue there overseas provided the country you are in speaks english... :)

Bear in mind the Thai international IDP costs just about the same amount as your Thai DL - THB 500 odd and is only valid for a year, renewed my IDP two weeks ago at Mo-chit and takes literally 10 minutes to do

Thanks guys. Are we saying that if I go back to the UK for a visit all I will need is the 5 year Thai licence and not the International Permit? I don't own a car so I will be looking to hire one.

Also I have been told the rates will be bumped up if I don't have a UK licence. I do have a UK licence but the photo bit expires early next year. Is there any way of renewing it from Thailand do you know?

Thanks guys. Are we saying that if I go back to the UK for a visit all I will need is the 5 year Thai licence and not the International Permit? I don't own a car so I will be looking to hire one.

Also I have been told the rates will be bumped up if I don't have a UK licence. I do have a UK licence but the photo bit expires early next year. Is there any way of renewing it from Thailand do you know?

You'd better check the UK law on using foreign license while there.

In Oregon, it's allowed.

In many other states, not so.

I looked at this last July since my Oregon license had expired early in the month and I was arriving on a Friday. It was OK through the weekend and I got my new license the next week.

Mac

Also, can anyone give me the address of the Mo Chit office, i.e directions from BST?

From MRT head out and it is posted as one of the exits.

From BTS go out of Mochit head back the way you travelled on the Skytrain taking the left hand side of the road, it's down the road within walking distance if you ain't too old