Fish Spas Popping Up Everywhere In Chiang Mai

KevinHunt

Suddenly Fish Spas are all over town. I'd never heard of such a thing six months ago and now I see them everywhere. If I make a trip the short distance from the pub to Panthip Plaza , I get 'Hello Massage' about 5 times. Will I now be getting 'hello Fish Spa' every 50 metres , I wonder? 

What I want to know is has anyone tried it - if so why?, what am I missing?, and would you go back? I think it is one of those things that you may do once, but would you want to do it again? When I see them setting these places on the likes of Changklan Rd with high rents, I wonder how long they will survive. At least massage places offer other services as well, what other services can they offer at a fish spa!!?? :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are popping up everywhere in Pattaya as well. Its an effective way to remove dead skin from your feet. However, I would be concerned that many of these places know what they are doing, hygiene-wise, keep the water clean, etc. Like the manicures/pedicures done with dirty tools that are never cleaned properly, a lot of the so called health treatments in Thailand are anything but healthy.

I tried the big "Fish Spa" near Pantip Plazza and it was actually really fun.

A bit weird in the beginning but my skin was really soft after that, and I think I will do it again soon.

They clean your feet before enterring the aquarium, of course, and everything looks pretty clean.

You should try : at least, it will be a good laugh :)

Some may be clean. However, like I said, when they pop up everywhere (there are now ones directly on the street here sticking out of dodgy massage shops) you've got to know they all aren't. This is clearly one of those crazy trends right now in the starting phases.

Edited by Jingthing

The wife done it and loved it, not my thing though and the fish would probably need a week to get all the dead skin off my feet!! She's been twice, once with a friend the first time and the second time when some friends were visiting from Khao Lak. Khao Lak now also has a Fish Spa!!

Some may be clean. However, like I said, when they pop up everywhere (there are now ones directly on the street here sticking out of dodgy massage shops) you've got to know they all aren't. This is clearly one of those crazy trends right now in the starting phases.

I agree with Jingthing. In fact I wonder how many people who are opening these places have any idea whatever of:

- The needed hygiene for these tanks. When to change the water, what acid/PH balance should be maintained, etc., etc.,

- What actually happens when the small fish do their work. Therefore no idea of what perhaps could go wrong.

- What skin types should not be exposed to this activity.

- The fact that people with severe skin ailments may well quickly participate thinking it's a 'miracle cure' etc, therefore the water will be immediately contaminated with specific skin ailments which could be contagious to others.

- The fact that, for some people with specific skin types or ailments it could cause skin damage and therefore expose the shop owner to legal action (unless of course there is specific documentation which highlights this matter).

These places are also popping up everywhere in Bangkok In the case of these shops within hypermarket complexes I wonder how much information has been garnered by the hypermarket management before allowing these venues?

Ooh look: http://www.yourdoctorfishspa.com/

only 175SGD!!...cheaper than some tickles...do they only do feet? Can they be deep fried once reached their sell by date??

Cannibalism lite?

I think you are on to something here. Total immersion fish tanks.

If they're eating dead cells, why do they limit it to the feet and hands? I suspect that I may have dead cells all over my body - some in my head as well. :)

I tried the spa upstairs across from Panthip Plaza when they first opened. We got a promotional flier. It was 150 Baht for 90 minutes. I must say I was surprised at how much dead skin the fish removed. My feet felt great. Would I go again? Not at 600 Bat for 60 minutes! I was there on the 2nd day they opened I think. Now with hundreds of people having been there by now, I would be concerned hygiene-wise.

I agree with Jingthing. In fact I wonder how many people who are opening these places have any idea whatever of:

- The needed hygiene for these tanks. When to change the water, what acid/PH balance should be maintained, etc., etc.,

- What actually happens when the small fish do their work. Therefore no idea of what perhaps could go wrong.

- The fact that people with severe skin ailments may well quickly participate thinking it's a 'miracle cure' etc, therefore the water will be immediately contaminated with specific skin ailments which could be contagious to others.

- The fact that, for some people with specific skin types or ailments it could cause skin damage and therefore expose the shop owner to legal action (unless of course there is specific documentation which highlights this matter).

These places are also popping up everywhere in Bangkok In the case of these shops within hypermarket complexes I wonder how much information has been garnered by the hypermarket management before allowing these venues?

Well the easy solution is to simply not go rather than belaboring us with yours fears & phobias about everything out of the box. I tried it, it was OK. Also read total immersion ones overseas are used by people with skin conditions and seem quite happy with the result, apparently it is an enzyme the fish release.

Well the easy solution is to simply not go rather than belaboring us with yours fears & phobias about everything out of the box. I tried it, it was OK. Also read total immersion ones overseas are used by people with skin conditions and seem quite happy with the result, apparently it is an enzyme the fish release.

Well, for nail salons, there is a lot more to it than fears and phobias. People are getting serious diseases from unclean conditions and some even dying. In Thailand, removing the cuticles is usually done, which makes this situation even worse here. I have never seen a nail salon in Thailand that follows scientific medically sound cleaning methods for cutting tools, even the ritzy ones. As far as the fish goes, I am not yet aware of any specific dangers. However if you have broken skin and the water is infected somehow from a previous user, well, do the math.

http://dist08.casen.govoffice.com/index.as...2-1FC0242CE8E8}

Edited by Jingthing

What are you suppose to do for the 90 minutes or whatever that you sit there with the fish nibbling on your feet? All the fish spas I've seen have benches, not comfy chairs. I often fall asleep during a manicure/pedicure because the chairs are so nice and I go to a place with nice aircon and music. I just don't see the same ambiance at the fish spa places.

What are you suppose to do for the 90 minutes or whatever that you sit there with the fish nibbling on your feet? All the fish spas I've seen have benches, not comfy chairs. I often fall asleep during a manicure/pedicure because the chairs are so nice and I go to a place with nice aircon and music. I just don't see the same ambiance at the fish spa places.

Hello Nancy , well what you can do is wonder why am I doing this ? I'm afraid I'm a skeptic that this has anything to do with improving the health of your feet that a good scrub with a stone or similar wouldnt do. I see this latest fad as eqivalent to teenagers wearing colored braces on their teeth . Not having a go at you in particular, please dont think that :)

Hygene would keep me from trying it in a commercial place, but doing it at home in your own enviornment with your own fish and aquarium/fish tank might be kind of fun and safer/cleaner for sure.

Anyone know what kind of fish they are and where to get them??

It's what we call 21st century evolutionarybollockology.

They have found fish that, when starved of any real food, will eat dead skin of the feet of the strange species bipedus casherectus (aka farangusstupiddii).

Now this species bipedus casherectus is a slow moving herbivore ripe for predation by that other species rippum offumThairaptorus.

Rippum offumThairaptorus (aka Thairaptors) has enetered a mutually beneficient contract with the skin eating fish, heretothereinafter referred to as "The Eraser".

This contract enables Thairaptors to utilise "The Eraser" to devour the dead useless skin off the feet of the farangusstupiddii and thus releaving the dumb herbivores of that useless lump of fat they haul around known in scientific circles as a walletum.

Darwinian evolution at work folks. :)

I hate to be negative, but this is just another example of one person doing something new and being successful only to have 500+ copycats, who don't have an original thought in their head, flood the market.

We saw this when internet and coffee shops became the "new" thing. We see similar businesses right next to eachother, ie 3 barbers in a row etc etc.

Oh well, smile, shake your head, and laugh cause TiT.

and after a few weeks the fish are sold off cheap to farang chippies ...then...deep fried in batter and served up as..............never again? :)

Mmmm cheesey!

Come to think of it, its probably better than thinking what prawns eat before your next bowl of Tom Yum Goong!

The one upstairs across from Panthip Plaza has very comfortable couch like risers with big pillows. It was comfortable.

What are you suppose to do for the 90 minutes or whatever that you sit there with the fish nibbling on your feet? All the fish spas I've seen have benches, not comfy chairs. ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun NancyL,

We think this problem does not arise unless you pay the extra 200 baht to have the manacles, shackles, and straight-jacket they put you in taken off.

We relish the idea that you could be suspended in the air by some kind of special harness-corset so the human's body could be getting most excellent stretches of old spine and back while legs/feet dangle in delicious ecstasy of nibbilation. Also it would be good if they would slowly rotate you as this happens in time to the new kind of "new age" music that has that oceanic pulse to it.

The harness-corset like supsension device could also include vibrators ! We are of course, only referring to "family values" vibration here !

But perhaps these technologies are a "Pandora's Box" which could be exploited by the dark-side forces here : we shudder to think what might be on offer in certain parts of Bangkok using these ideas.

Have you ever been in an Epsom Salts based flotation/sensory deprivation tank ? Very wonderful experience, unfortunately we don't think any fish could survive in water super-saturated with Magnesium Sulfate.

best, ~o:37;