Cd-r Transfering Problems

wolf359

I am having problems copying photos from my computer to a CD-R disc. The computer will not acknowledge that there is a CD in the 'e' drive.

My system is an 810 e-machine using 'windows XP' I have tried cleaning the port with a multi-purpose lens cleaner but no luck.

Please bear in mind that my computer skills are minimum.

Many thanks.

are you using from a new pack of CD-R that you've just bought?

if it is, try to get another CD-R with a different brand and specs (the one abit expensive ones).

sometimes some CD-R doesn't work good with the burner you have.

if that fails, might want to consider sniffdog second option.

Explorer :o

are you using from a new pack of CD-R that you've just bought?

if it is, try to get another CD-R with a different brand and specs (the one abit expensive ones).

sometimes some CD-R doesn't work good with the burner you have.

if that fails, might want to consider sniffdog second option.

Explorer  :o

First, would not recommend you attempt to clean any CD/DVD drive using multi-purpose disk cleaners (especially those with the little row of brushes). You may scratch the laser lens or worse, damage the drive's alignment. Some have also been known to cause a fire.

As you have tried several brands of good quality, blank CD-R's, then I think we can rule them out, at least for now.

We know you have an eMachine (apparently an 800 series), with WindowsXP. It would also be helpful to know:

- Your eMachine's exact model number

- Processor make/speed

- Burning software (Is it eMachine supplied or did you install another like NERO?)

- Does your machine have a CD-R/RW burner or DVD/CD-R/RW combo drive? (Check your owners manual for details.)

- Do you have a second CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive?

Other questions:

- When problem first appeared, was it intermittent?

- If your burner does not recognize a blank CD-R, is it able to read disks you had previously burned?

- Can your CD drive read/play other peoples disks, like music CD's or if compatable, DVD's?

- When you insert a blank CD-R, does the burner keep running or does it stop after a few seconds?

If you can manage it (or get help from a knowledgeable friend), we need to know if the are any conflicts shown in the Windows "Device Manager". (Check your windows HELP file, for details on opening/viewing Device Manager.) When you get to the Device Manager window, click the + sign next to the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" icon and look for any YELLOW caution marks, like this icon13.gif. Advise what you see.

All in all, your problem may be as simple as having windows reinstall a new driver or at worse, the burner is defective. Most burners in the eMachine model 800 computers were made by Samsung. Some carry a 3 year warranty. Possibly your still covered by a warranty.

Post back when you can.

cheers :o

First, would not recommend you attempt to clean any CD/DVD drive using multi-purpose disk cleaners (especially those with the little row of brushes). You may scratch the laser lens or worse, damage the drive's alignment. Some have also been known to cause a fire.

As you have tried several brands of good quality, blank CD-R's, then I think we can rule them out, at least for now.

We know you have an eMachine (apparently an 800 series), with WindowsXP. It would also be helpful to know:

- Your eMachine's exact model number

- Processor make/speed

- Burning software (Is it eMachine supplied or did you install another like NERO?)

- Does your machine have a CD-R/RW burner or DVD/CD-R/RW combo drive? (Check your owners manual for details.)

- Do you have a second CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive?

Other questions:

- When problem first appeared, was it intermittent?

- If your burner does not recognize a blank CD-R, is it able to read disks you had previously burned?

- Can your CD drive read/play other peoples disks, like music CD's or if compatable, DVD's?

- When you insert a blank CD-R, does the burner keep running or does it stop after a few seconds?

If you can manage it (or get help from a knowledgeable friend), we need to know if the are any conflicts shown in the Windows "Device Manager". (Check your windows HELP file, for details on opening/viewing Device Manager.) When you get to the Device Manager window, click the + sign next to the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" icon and look for any YELLOW caution marks, like this icon13.gif. Advise what you see.

All in all, your problem may be as simple as having windows reinstall a new driver or at worse, the burner is defective. Most burners in the eMachine model 800 computers were made by Samsung. Some carry a 3 year warranty. Possibly your still covered by a warranty.

Post back when you can.

cheers :o

Wow that is some list! hopefully I've got it all.

the computer is an e-machine 810.

serial No: 29457821.

with a Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ PGA478 Pin Package.

Machine supplied.

As far as I can tell I have both!!

Yes 'D' Drive.

No.

No.

No.

Stops after a few seconds.

I managed to open the Device Manager and there are no signs it just shows:

NEC_DVD_RW ND_1300A nad

SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD816B.

hope this helps, many thanks.

wolf359 - Good job.

Your NEC 1300A burner is what is commonly called a "combo-drive" and NEC has a very good reputation for quality. If your eMachine owners manual doesn't contain a listing of "Supported Media" for this drive, you can download same from NEC. here. (The Maxwell and TDK you were using are supported.)

At this point there are a number of thing which should be checked, however, as you stated your "computer skills are minimum", so you may want to have a knowledgable friend or a trusted computer service technician do the following:

1. Using "Device Manager", uninstall the NEC_DVD_RW ND_1300A nad drive, then reboot the computer allowing Windows "Plug-&-Play" to find and reinstall the drive.

2. Check to see if drive in question is now operational again.

3. If drive still does not work, have "knowledgeable friend" open the computer case and check to make sure ALL flat ribbon (data) cables are correctly plugged into the drives and firmly seated in the connectors on your motherboard.

4. Re-check drive, to see if now operational.

If above fails to correct the problem, you will need to make a decision whether-or-not to:

a. Restore your whole system using the eMachine supplied disks, or

b. Take the computer to a reliable service facility and have them check the NEC drive on their test equipment. (If NEC drive is defective, be sure to check with NEC to see if it is still under warranty.)

I have found the eMachines to be very reliable. (Consumer Reports magazine (USA) recently rated eMachine #1 in overall consumer satisifaction beating Sony, HP, IBM, Dell, and Compaq) I still have one of the first eMachines made. Its used daily. Had been updated several times (larger HDD's and a CD burner). It has performed flawlessly. Your P4-2.6 with a DVD burner and DVD-ROM drive should give you many years of service, before it needs updating or replacement.

Good luck. Post back if you have any questions. Also the final disposition.

cheers :D

(PS - Your NEC has special built-in dust seals, so you should not need to clean the drive internally under nornal usage. Now if you plan to move to North Africa...well thats a different story. :o )

"b. Take the computer to a reliable service facility"

if you find a reliable service, let us know, hahaha

What waldwolf is telling is everything right!

But if the drive is shown under winxp, but not recognize anything, it is most probably broken and not a driver or software problem.

check for warranty, than after you find out that your "reliable service facility" does not know the terms guarantee, warranty in neither english, nor Thai nor any other language, you'll have to buy a new one.

Anyway these things are already pretty cheap. Do not try to repair it, it costs some baht and in 1 month it might be broken again.

No one suggested this.

It is a long shot but may be the problem.

(This is for a Windows XP machine)

Right click on the drive and select 'Properties'

Click the tab for Hardware

Select/highlight the CD drive from the list (which includes your hard drive)

Click Properties here too

At the bottom ...... is the device enabled ????

Let us know if this is it ..... we will assume it is not the problem if no response from you.

wolf359 - Good job.

Your NEC 1300A burner is what is commonly called a "combo-drive" and NEC has a very good reputation for quality. If your eMachine owners manual doesn't contain a listing of "Supported Media" for this drive, you can download same from NEC. here. (The Maxwell and TDK you were using are supported.)

At this point there are a number of thing which should be checked, however, as you stated your "computer skills are minimum", so you may want to have a knowledgable friend or a trusted computer service technician do the following:

1. Using "Device Manager", uninstall the NEC_DVD_RW ND_1300A nad drive, then reboot the computer allowing Windows "Plug-&-Play" to find and reinstall the drive.

2. Check to see if drive in question is now operational again.

3. If drive still does not work, have "knowledgeable friend" open the computer case and check to make sure ALL flat ribbon (data) cables are correctly plugged into the drives and firmly seated in the connectors on your motherboard.

4. Re-check drive, to see if now operational.

If above fails to correct the problem, you will need to make a decision whether-or-not to:

a.  Restore your whole system using the eMachine supplied disks, or

b. Take the computer to a reliable service facility and have them check the NEC drive on their test equipment. (If NEC drive is defective, be sure to check with NEC to see if it is still under warranty.)

I have found the eMachines to be very reliable. (Consumer Reports magazine (USA) recently rated eMachine #1 in overall consumer satisifaction beating Sony, HP, IBM, Dell, and Compaq) I still have one of the first eMachines made. Its used daily. Had been updated several times (larger HDD's and a CD burner). It has performed flawlessly. Your P4-2.6 with a  DVD burner and DVD-ROM drive should give you many years of service, before it needs updating or replacement.

Good luck. Post back if you have any questions. Also the final disposition.

cheers  :D

(PS - Your NEC has special built-in dust seals, so you should not need to clean the drive internally under nornal usage. Now if you plan to move to North Africa...well thats a different story.  :o )

Thanks waldwolf I've tried uninstalling the drive and the machine installed it again on rebooting unfortunately no luck, so now I'll see about option 3.

No one suggested this.

It is a long shot but may be the problem.

(This is for a Windows XP machine)

Right click on the drive and select 'Properties'

Click the tab for Hardware

Select/highlight the CD drive from the list (which includes your hard drive)

Click Properties here too

At the bottom ...... is the device enabled  ????

Let us know if this is it ..... we will assume it is not the problem if no response from you.

Hi Paulfr, I've checked as you suggested but unfortunately both are enabled.

OK another long shot ...

Right click on the drive in Windows Explorer/ Select Properties at the bottom of the list

Now click the 4th tab labeled 'Recording'

Is the "Enable CD Recordingon this drive" box checked ??

I myself am having trouble writing to my new External 8.5GB dual layer DVD RW drive. But I doubt our problems are the same. But maybe ??

When I drag and drop a folder to the drive, it says it has a problem but won't give any details. Tried 4 different DVDs from 8.5GB to 4.7GB. It does read okay and play DVDs, CDAudio and MP3 discs.

Edited by paulfr

OK  another long shot ...

Right click on the drive in Windows Explorer/ Select Properties at the bottom of the list

Now click the 4th tab labeled 'Recording'

Is the "Enable CD Recordingon this drive"  box checked ??

I myself am having trouble writing to my new External 8.5GB dual layer DVD RW drive. But I doubt our problems are the same. But maybe ??

When I drag and drop a folder to the drive, it says it has a problem but won't give any details. Tried 4 different DVDs from 8.5GB to 4.7GB. It does read okay and play DVDs, CDAudio and MP3 discs.

thanks paulfr, but still no go, now where did I leave my hammer!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Forgot to ask ....

Will the drive be recognized if you put a disc with information already on it ?? If not, sounds like a hardware problem.

------------------------

Just to follow up on my comment ...

I finally got my new external DVD dual layer drive to work.

Just needed to use Nero SW.

Now I can backup 8.5GB rather than 0.7GB with each disc.

LG GSA5163D was 4500B at Pantip.

8.5GB discs ... 250B ..... ouchhhh !!!!