Quoting New And Full Posts!

bdenner

ADMIN, your server has to be crammed, packed full with re-posted "Quotes" <deleted> do these idiots have to quote the full ramblings of others when they can correlate it to quote a few lines. About time you dumped ANY post with unnecessary "Quotes" and save yourself some server bandwidth. Can the uneducated be educated, I doubt it but at least you should try so as if nothing else regain some sanity to your excellent site?

Rant over, let the flaming begin!

Can the uneducated be educated? Yes, if you teach us instead of insulting us and calling us names! I've been trying to figure how to quote only part of a previous post, but I never got it just right. Mossfinn, thank you for providing helpful information.

Yes, if you teach us.................... :D

<snip>

I've been trying to figure how to quote only part of a previous post, but I never got it just right.

<snip>

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Quoting-Full...t&p=3260324

Can the uneducated be educated, I doubt it but at least you should try so as if nothing else regain some sanity to your excellent site?

Copy and paste. Then use the

[quote][/quote]

(4th button after the smiles) to enclose what you wish to quote.

Sawadee :)

P.S. Mossfinn Happy New Year :D

ADMIN, your server has to be crammed, packed full with re-posted "Quotes" &lt;deleted&gt; do these idiots have to quote the full ramblings of others when they can correlate it to quote a few lines. About time you dumped ANY post with unnecessary "Quotes" and save yourself some server bandwidth. Can the uneducated be educated, I doubt it but at least you should try so as if nothing else regain some sanity to your excellent site?

Ok, I will try!

Can the uneducated be educated? Yes, if you teach us instead of insulting us and calling us names! I've been trying to figure how to quote only part of a previous post, but I never got it just right. Mossfinn, thank you for providing helpful information.

Seconded and I'm not necessarily a forum rookie, only to this one but still been around for years. Your quote function is not user friendly, I post on various other boards on a myriad of topics and never have the difficulty I have here, finding my responded topics are also a bitch..And not being able to quote the OP is counter productive it saves you nothing but causes numerous headaches for responses I wondered why such a thing was instituted..

[quote][/quote]

Sawadee :)

Is that the best you can do? That is no new information and a major pain in the arse and unnecessarily time consuming, seems if that is the best then it is no wonder the entire quote is used..

Tell me please what is the quote button at the bottom of a given post?? It seems to be worthless....I've tried highlighting and clicking it and nothing useful comes out of it..It just turns from a plus to a minus..

Edited by WarpSpeed

[quote][/quote]

Sawadee :D

Is that the best you can do? That is no new information and a major pain in the arse and unnecessarily time consuming, seems if that is the best then it is no wonder the entire quote is used..

Tell me please what is the quote button at the bottom of a given post?? It seems to be worthless....I've tried highlighting and clicking it and nothing useful comes out of it..It just turns from a plus to a minus..

Here's the fix.

Don't post here anymore. :)

Click on the reply button when you see the + :D

P.S. GungaDin :)

I'm not necessarily a forum rookie
:)

Hit the quote button for each post you wish to quote then hit the Add Reply. That's all there is to it.

I am just a member like you are and if it is like you said
and a major pain in the arse and unnecessarily time consuming

then so be it. :)

Well I wasn't attacking you personally though it may have come off that way, it was intended for the site admin just stating the obvious and of course criticism stings a bit, I know you're attempt was at assistance ..

[quote][/quote]

Sawadee :D

Here's the fix.

Don't post here anymore. :D

Yep, that I'll do the trick....jack_ss...A solution from simple minded people...Must be one of those Paypal whingers? :)

Click on the reply button when you see the + :D

But that quotes the entire post and requires you to edit it before responding yes?

or is there some sort of delay once you've pushed the quote button and then the quote comes up?

This is a bad joke! Now I just tried to send the entire post and it was too many quote functions? &lt;deleted&gt;? So I had to break it down into 2 posts?

rolleyes.gif

Hit the quote button for each post you wish to quote then hit the Add Reply. That's all there is to it.

I can do without the intended sarcasm in the form of a rolling eyes emoticon and this is why people just don't care how they quote when they get such sarcasm and wise ass responses..

I'm glad you are perfect at every single forum you ever post on you must be blessed and very proud of yourself...But can you walk and chew gum at the same time?

Onto your answer now... I've tried that but all I get is an entire post quoted which I then have to edit down. I will give it another try though maybe I'm missing something?

Ok so now I decided just to post it the way it came up after previewing it without tap dancing to make any changes, you tell me what's wrong? I know how I can fix it but it isn't user friendly.. I use this format on nearly every other forum but can't on this one..

Should be able to just highlight the portion to be quoted and click the quote function to have it quoted with posters nik for reference and that doesn't happen..

*edit* so now these came up quoted properly but when I previewed them it was all screwed up so how do you know when it is going to come up correctly or not? :)

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep, that I'll do the trick....jack_ss...A solution from simple minded people...Must be one of those Paypal whingers? :D

Strewth, how did you know my name was Jack?

Reading your posts here, I figured you didn't know Jack.... :)

Paypal whingers??? :D

Yep, that I'll do the trick....jack_ss...A solution from simple minded people...Must be one of those Paypal whingers? :D

Strewth, how did you know my name was Jack?

Reading your posts here, I figured you didn't know Jack.... :)

Paypal whingers??? :D

Ditto.....

Paypal refers to......... Never mind

Go easy on Tywais.

I've never figured out that +QUOTE feature. But I manage.

Tywais was attempting to be helpful and that was appreciated, it was his rolling eyes emoticon that got my hair standing up and wasn't necessary but because of the limited quote function it was split away from it's intended quote causing it to seem like it was directed as a barb from me for something else... Another reason not to have such a restriction in place when it causes unintended confrontations..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I can do without the intended sarcasm in the form of a rolling eyes emoticon and this is why people just don't care how they quote when they get such sarcasm and wise ass responses..

I'm glad you are perfect at every single forum you ever post on you must be blessed and very proud of yourself...But can you walk and chew gum at the same time?

Relax or you're going to blow a gasket. You have been in attack mode long enough now so suggest you roll it back a notch. The eyes also means to look up at your previous quotes.

*edit* so now these came up quoted properly but when I previewed them it was all screwed up so how do you know when it is going to come up correctly or not? :)

Preview mode works fine for me with multi-quotes. There is a limit of 5 multi-quotes. You are putting blame on the forum admins/webmasters when the software is canned and there are limits in what can be adjusted/modified. Perhaps when there is a forum software upgrade we will have more options.

PS: yes, I'm a member on several computer and high tech engineering forums and each has there own BBS version of software which I learn to use appropriately within their specific limitations.

To add to this discussion. The mods/admins of this board are aware of the issues regarding quotations and it is as big a pain to us as to members. Probably more so as we also have to clean up the mess. We have an ongoing discussion regarding it and what techniques or tools are available to help. Suggestions on how to improve on it within the limits of the bbs software framework are welcome.

Relax or you're going to blow a gasket. You have been in attack mode long enough now so suggest you roll it back a notch. The eyes also means to look up at your previous quotes.
No it didn't it was intended to be sarcastic regarding my quote about not being a forum rookie, lets stop blowing in each others ears here..

See I don't need to be talked down to like I'm a child you are threatening to send into time out, have a little respect and tolerance for frustrated members in spite of and especially since you're admin...

Additionally this is not my thread but it claims issues that are related to members inability to properly quote which you claim to be related to the software. Now, if you're involved in so many other forums yourself as you say then you understand that my claim is valid and it is not as user friendly as others regardless of what format and software it is programed with...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Large advertising GIF Post deleted.

Should l host it myself and redo my post..............

The GIF wasn't showing, only a big image saying something like "to see animated GIF go to www.someurlhere.com"

On topic, then I really don't understand the points made about not being able to quote partial posts without having to edit the text to remove the unwanted bits. How can this be done other than this? Should the forum software read your mind as to which parts of the post you wish to include in the quote or how should it be done?

The way it is works fine for me, but of course if there are ways to improve it to others that would be nice as well.

We disabled quoting the OP. We encouraged snipping to just a partial quote. Many can't get that right. There is now a limit on number of nested quotes.

But thats also majorly annoying.. Because its not just 'nested' its single level quotes (you have exceeded the amount of quote blocks etc)..

So if you are a tidy quoter.. and if you do 'snip quote' as we are apparently encouraged to do, you can only separate quote 5 blocks in a discussion..

It makes tidy quoting and proper debate of relevant parts impossible and reverts back to 'quote the whole dam_n post' style quoting as thats only a single quote block. Counter productive and not encouraging sniping at all IMO.