Free Wi-fi Hotspots

gadgetsteve2

I'm attempting to build a database of "free" wi-fi hotspots in Bangkok. Can anyone help?

I'm interested in knowing the location, speed, ease of logging in and reliability of free hotspots in cafes, bars, restaurants etc.

So far I know of 3:

1) The Irish Xchange, Covent Road - (802.11b/g, adsl, fast and reliable)

2) Larry's Dive, Sukhumvit Soi 22 - (802.11b/g, adsl, fast and reliable)

3) The Londoner Pub, UBC2 Sukhumvit Soi 33 - not tested it yet

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Steve.

I'm attempting to build a database of "free" wi-fi hotspots in Bangkok.  Can anyone help? 

I'm interested in knowing the location, speed, ease of logging in and reliability of free hotspots in cafes, bars, restaurants etc. 

So far I know of 3:

1) The Irish Xchange, Covent Road - (802.11b/g, adsl, fast and reliable)

2) Larry's Dive, Sukhumvit Soi 22 - (802.11b/g, adsl, fast and reliable)

3) The Londoner Pub, UBC2 Sukhumvit Soi 33 - not tested it yet

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Steve.

Siam discovery centre has one by the mac shop. There is pay starbucks in the same location.

not yet tested, but it did work on my PDA a while back

How can I use free spot of adsl?

How can i get logon ID and password?

All you need is a laptop or PDA (or some other form of portable computer like Sony's PSP etc) with a wireless network adaptor. Then when you are in range of the hot-spot you'll be able to pick up the network and you're off. Usually no password required for the free ones. However if you are having trouble you can ask the staff at the place you're intending to use the hot-spot.

For example at Siam discovery you can go in and talk to the staff at the Apple store. Also, the free Apple store connection reaches most parts of the major coffee chain branch across the way, so no point in buying their overpriced coffee AND paying for their internet service. Good luck.

How to connect to adsl?

how to set up the dialup network  without ID and password ?

Erm, I thought we were talking about wireless hot spots? You don't dial-up for those. Best thing to do is take your laptop to the place that has free wireless internet and ask the staff to help you set it up.

I'm attempting to build a database of "free" wi-fi hotspots in Bangkok.  Can anyone help? 

Frankly I wonder if such a database can be of any practical use. Can a hotspot be "free"? Why should it be free?

I have used the free hotspot at Siam Discovery Center, got excellent help from the Mac people (because you still need a login). I was able to read a few emails, but after a while the connection stalled. Obviously when it's free - and especially if you put this info online - so many people use it that the bandwidth drops to zero

I also tried to use the commercial hotspots that you find in restaurants and airports. In the first case the card I had bought a few months before was no longer valid; in the second my credit information was used to ransack my account. At any rate, the connection fees were so high that even business people would only use the service in an emergency; a total ripoff.

Recently, however, more and more internet cafés begin to provide wireless service at reasonable prices, like somewhere between 10 and 30 baht per hour. In Chiang Mai there is one across from Kad Suan Kaew which operates until very late at night; another good one is in in the coffee shop on the ground floor of the Suriwong Book Center. But there must be many more providing good service at a fair price. If somebody is ready to compile (and update) a database of hotspots in this category, I am prepared to contribute as soon as I am back in LOS.

How can I use free spot of adsl?

How can i get logon ID and password?

I met a friend at starbucks yesterday. he was using his notebook. noticed several other people doing the same thing. so, I asked him how he connected to the wifi. get dtac account. they provide you the login ID and password. allows for 1 hour access at a time.

Sasasa,

In order to connect you need to ask you service provider , althoug we could answer your question but please look into the search options there are alot of topic like yours asking about adsl...the search option here at thai visa could be usefull for your answer....As you know we are discussing about Wifi hotspots here...

If the answer are not here then please do open a new thread....

Edited by tytus

Might be worth adding if and where there are sources of electricity as well - just in case you want a long session or your batteries are not quite as full or long lasting as you thought. These may of course be legit or not so legit souces of power.

You could allways bring along a portable generator, then this wouldnt be a problem :o

I started maintaining a list of free hotspots about a year ago, but gave up after a while when they started to proliferate (it just became impracticle to manage). It quickly became apparent that such a database can only be maintained by a community, so I'd suggest trying to shackle the database to an existing forum full of people interested in such things (like this one, perhaps ?.

Just a thought.

There's a lot of leakage from the lounges, including into some of the public seating areas around the duty free shops. No need to use any of the 'paid' hotspot chains (of which there are a stack). Trick is to look for access points with airline names.

• 3 weeks later...