What No Rugby Forum!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coming from pontpridd a little town in the valleys it produced many stars,rugby tommy david,neil jenkins,singing stars,geraint evans,stuat burrows and tom jones all lived within 1kilo of me,i coudnt play rugby,coudnt sing but i did have a nick name. SCRUMPY JACK

smokie we do practice a lot,your round.

laugh.gif My round?

Not a hope...

never a true word spoken by a Scotsman !

remember you may, no probably will owe a bottle of sang som by the end of the EPL season. wink.gif btw you never did state whether it would be a full or half bottle. biggrin.gif

a few internationals overnight, can't read much into the results given the make-up of the teams, some a trial/RWC warm-up

I expected SA to win at home with their revitalised/rested squad.

As always, pleased I don't do sports betting.

Results

Fiji 27 - Tonga 12

South Africa 9 - Australia 14

Wales 19 - England 9

France 19 - Ireland 12

Italy 31 - Japan 24

to play

USA v Canada

Edited by Atmos

dont write off the wallabies just yet.....they are so dangerous when you do.

I dont think many would have given them a chance before last nights encounter against an all experienced Bok side playing on home turf, and also coming from behind at the break to win showed some heart.

This coming weekends game is vital for both teams to win,more so for the Bok side. The Boks need to get a win under their belts, and what more against an understrength AB side.

The ABs have rested some key players, which will show what sort of depth we have in our squad. No Carter,McCaw,Read, Muliaina,Thorne, O.Franks...If we manage a good win against the Boks, it will be a bonus. We still have some firepower in the backline-Toeva,Gilford,Gear,Nonu,SBW,Jane, and Kahui. If they play well this weekend, the AB selectors will have so much to think about who to pick.

not sure what to think about the other games this weekend, apart from Japan, punching well above its weight class

Matches this weekend - I expect there are more but where to find them?

Wales vs Argentina

Scotland vs Italy

Ireland vs France

South Africa v New Zealand

Japan v USA

and not test rugby - Samoa play the first of two matches v Super XV team Western Force on Saturday 20th, and again on 27th

The Wales-Argentina one is one I'd like to see (but won't); really don't know re the SA-NZ match, just hope no serious injuries as a result, quite a gamble with Woodcock, Afoa, Kahui having played so little rugby all year.

I see NZ's TAB betting agency has NZ at 1.60, SA 2.25 to win, expect in SA it is the reverse.

Edited by Atmos

Matches this weekend - I expect there are more but where to find them?

IRB

I would expect the Boks to be up for this game, dont worry about Woodcock and co being under cooked for this game, they will be ready. Its same as Nonu this year, next to non-existent during the super 15, and the man turns into a beast once you throw a tight black jersey on him.

They should all be humming by saturday night, my only concern is first-five, Slade, he isnt as classy as Carter, btw we have never won at Port Elizabeth, this weekend should be our first then..........cool.gif

^^ IRB, why didn't I think of that?

one more

Fiji v Tonga

Saw this pic for the Samoa - Force game - love the photo on the left as he thinks 'catch the ball' and can maybe hear those two players approaching.

Rather him than me - one of those 'what happened next?' moments

manusamoavswesternforceHERO.jpg

I see NZ's TAB betting agency has NZ at 1.60, SA 2.25 to win, expect in SA it is the reverse.

My imaginary $10 will be on SA 1-12 paying 3.10 per 1 invested.

TAB bookie Mark Stafford

"We can't separate the two teams, which is why the odds opened at $1.87 for both teams. However, 80% of the punters money has flooded in on the All Blacks so the odds have moved out to reflect that."

"They're without their three best players in Carter, McCaw and Read, and there's a lot that's unproven in this All Blacks team."

Currently the TAB has the All Blacks paying $1.60 to win and the Springboks $2.25.

Stafford says he's not as confident as the punters in the All Blacks chances pointing to the inexperience of the midfield trio.

source

My imaginary $10 will be on SA 1-12 paying 3.10 per 1 invested.

TAB bookie Mark Stafford

"We can't separate the two teams, which is why the odds opened at $1.87 for both teams. However, 80% of the punters money has flooded in on the All Blacks so the odds have moved out to reflect that."

"They're without their three best players in Carter, McCaw and Read, and there's a lot that's unproven in this All Blacks team."

Currently the TAB has the All Blacks paying $1.60 to win and the Springboks $2.25.

Stafford says he's not as confident as the punters in the All Blacks chances pointing to the inexperience of the midfield trio.

source

dont care what the bookie says, im sticking to an AB victory, its not like the midfield are playing out of position. OK, they may not have had much time as a combo, but theres so much to look forward to in the SBW-Kahui midfield,

SBW has been quiet thus far, and he needs to step it up imo, this could well be the game as hes likely to get a full 80 mins.

Not much info on Kahui's form at this stage. its gonna be close thou, ABs by 12cool.gif

It was nice to get a win against our peers in Europe, and let's hope that Argentina are sadly demoralised and woefully hopeless after today's result, but the statistic that concerned me was the attendance of only 20,000 at Murrayfield.

Let's face it - on the way to the World Cup we will have to beat the All Blacks n the Quarter-Finals, or maybe the final, and with only 20,000 on the pitch, we're never going to beat the All Blacks.

In all seriousness, the attendances at Glasgow and Edinburgh are woeful, for the Friendlies they're dismal -who is going to play for us when I am sat in my dotage down at the bowling green?

SC

18-5 to the Boks!

not the result that I was looking for, but never the less there were a few positives. We kept them try-less, Slade isnt the back up number 10 that most thought he was, we had the most chances to win but dropped the ball, literally. To many errors at the end of some great line breaks led to our demise, and Morne Steyn could be the hero of the RWC, if he can keep doing what hes doing. It aint exciting rugby, but it wins matches, and none more so important than this years RWC.

Hopefully, this loss will have them re-focus their efforts and hightlight what is needed to improve on what went wrong, and more importantly, how to win games by kicking penalties, and dropped goals, as thats how many important games in the RWC are won.

SC - my brother and (his son) nephew are in Edinburgh, neither mentioned even considering going to the Scot-italy game, instead a pub (The Globe) to watch Wales - Arg followed by SA - NZ. Both saving money for the big NZ expedition next month. They are rugby-mad the two of them, and I have been branded unpatriotic after telling them I was going to Moto GP in KL on the day of the RWC final . . . made it worse when i suggested NZ may not have a game that day anyway!

Re the SA loss, can live with it, even though quite a different team to the #1 side - was it 11 or 12 changes? media reports differ - a loss maybe won't hurt, a good trial of fitness for all the comeback players, and my prediction that NZ would end on no-contest scrums didn't eventuate - thought it might, risky with 2 of the 3 props back from injury.

Unsure re next weekend, whether either side NZ / Oz will want their #1 teams on the field the whole game, or a mix of the squad and good use of subs? Be a bad time to have injuries after squads are confirmed.

Edited by Atmos

SC - my brother and (his son) nephew are in Edinburgh, neither mentioned even considering going to the Scot-italy game, instead a pub (The Globe) to watch Wales - Arg followed by SA - NZ. Both saving money for the big NZ expedition next month. They are rugby-mad the two of them, and I have been branded unpatriotic after telling them I was going to Moto GP in KL on the day of the RWC final . . . made it worse when i suggested NZ may not have a game that day anyway!

Re the SA loss, can live with it, even though quite a different team to the #1 side - was it 11 or 12 changes? media reports differ - a loss maybe won't hurt, a good trial of fitness for all the comeback players, and my prediction that NZ would end on no-contest scrums didn't eventuate - thought it might, risky with 2 of the 3 props back from injury.

Unsure re next weekend, whether either side NZ / Oz will want their #1 teams on the field the whole game, or a mix of the squad and good use of subs? Be a bad time to have injuries after squads are confirmed.

To be fair, I listened to the Catalan Dragons v Warrington game instead myself

SC

clash of the codes . . . more to NZ than just rugby union

All Blacks v Warriors: Cup, NRL clash looms

A potential clash between the Rugby World Cup kick-off and a Warriors league finals match has forced a scramble to patch together sufficient services to avoid chaos in Auckland.

Public transport, policing and security are the main concerns.

The Warriors' 26-12 win over Penrith on Saturday propelled them into the National Rugby League's top four. Two rounds remain to be played.

If they retain that placing into the finals series, the Warriors will play the first of the NRL finals at Mt Smart stadium on the night of Friday, September 9

The Rugby World Cup opens on the same night, with a big waterfront party in Auckland and the All Blacks match against Tonga at Eden Park, starting at 8.30pm.

• All Blacks versus Tonga, Friday, September 9, 8.30pm. Eden Park, capacity 60,000.
  • Warriors may play first final series match, Friday, September 9, kick-off 8-8.30pm. Mt Smart Stadium, capacity 30,000.

read more

clash of the codes . . . more to NZ than just rugby union

All Blacks v Warriors: Cup, NRL clash looms

A potential clash between the Rugby World Cup kick-off and a Warriors league finals match has forced a scramble to patch together sufficient services to avoid chaos in Auckland.

Public transport, policing and security are the main concerns.

The Warriors' 26-12 win over Penrith on Saturday propelled them into the National Rugby League's top four. Two rounds remain to be played.

If they retain that placing into the finals series, the Warriors will play the first of the NRL finals at Mt Smart stadium on the night of Friday, September 9

The Rugby World Cup opens on the same night, with a big waterfront party in Auckland and the All Blacks match against Tonga at Eden Park, starting at 8.30pm.

• All Blacks versus Tonga, Friday, September 9, 8.30pm. Eden Park, capacity 60,000.
  • Warriors may play first final series match, Friday, September 9, kick-off 8-8.30pm. Mt Smart Stadium, capacity 30,000.

read more

Thanks for that, but I don't really follow the NRL that closely. If its QR they're playing, I might watch it if its on.

SC

EDIT: just read your introductory line - as I recall, NZ are the world cup holders, are they not?

But there's more to NZ than just league...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Thanks for that, but I don't really follow the NRL that closely. If its QR they're playing, I might watch it if its on.

SC

EDIT: just read your introductory line - as I recall, NZ are the world cup holders, are they not?

But there's more to NZ than just league...

corrupting the union thread!!

Yes - NZ beat Australia 34-20 in Australia to win in 2008.

The Warriors are the only NZ-based NRL team, but as with other teams are a mix of nationalities, far more NZers playing in other Oz-based sides.

They've only made one Grand Final (lost) and last year placed 5th in the comp.

AstroSupersport covers many of the games.

Edited by Atmos

All Blacks vs Wallabies this weekend!!!!

will be interesting see how the teams have improved from the game at Eden Park a few weeks back.

The ABs are back to full strength. I dont think you could improve from this, apart from one on the bench, that I dont think should be there.

An abundance of talent in wings to keep Israel Dagg off the park, SBW isnt named either, but I think he could be history by the end of the RWC, due to his poor form recently.

ABs by 10

ALL BLACKS

15 Mils Muliaina

14 Cory Jane

13 Conrad Smith

12 Ma'a Nonu

11 Zac Guildford

10 Daniel Carter

9 Piri Weepu

8 Kieran Read

7 Richie McCaw

6 Adam Thomson

5 Sam Whitelock

4 Brad Thorn

3 Owen Franks

2 Keven Mealamu

1 Tony Woodcock

Reserves: Andrew Hore, John Afoa, Ali Williams, Victor Vito, Andy Ellis, Colin Slade, Isaia Toeava.

This looks like good news for the RWC. Maybe True Visions will be showing it after all.

Wow this is excellent news, seems to have been overlooked by the other posters here...

not really, theres another thread running on this topic

Thanks Donnyboy, look forward to seeing England kick some Kiwi butt on UBC!!

was that the cricket or soccer?

cant be the rugby, as u have 2 shows! :D

after all, richie mc cow has predicted it :P

Edited by Donnyboy

a wounded wobbly side is a dangerous side i reckon

Distracted Wallabies ripe for the picking

A star going AWOL, dissention in the ranks and friendly-fire threatening to disable their backline general - the Wallabies bid to annex rugby's Tri-Nations trophy for the first time in a decade appears to have lurched into dangerous territory.

James Horwill could hardly have envisaged a more disruptive build-up to tomorrow night's assignment against their most feared opponents at Suncorp Stadium, an All Blacks side only burdened with standard expectations of winning - and preferably in style -- especially now the World Cup is less than a fortnight away.

Once he got over the shock of being installed as Rocky Elsom's successor before the team returned triumphantly from Durban last Wednesday, Horwill has been busy rallying the troops.

The aftermath of James O'Connor's suspension was followed by allegations of a bust up between the misbehaving wing, Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale in Paris last November. Then there was doubt over halfback Will Genia's health after he was laid out by Radike Samo at training on Tuesday, and then chest bumped by Rob Simmons yesterday.

"Yeah, it's kept me on my toes," said Horwill, who at least confirmed his relationship with Elsom remained harmonious.

"We've spoken most days about different things, we're still good mates," said the second rower, who has also confided in the legendary John Eales, the last Wallabies captain to hold the Tri-Nations trophy aloft in 2001.

A month after leading the Reds to Super rugby glory, Horwill would dearly love to emulate his fellow Queenslander's moment of glory and break the Wallabies Tri-Nations drought with a win that would cause anxiety levels to spike across the Tasman.

However, history suggests a near full-strength All Black side are well equipped to repeat their Bledisloe Cup-retaining efforts at Eden Park on August 6.

Ironically the old Lang Park also resembles a fortress for the All Blacks - they haven't lost there since trans-Tasman tests were moved across town from Ballymore in 1996.

The home of Queensland football has provided the back drop for three of the All Blacks most stirring Bledisloe Cup and Tri-Nations victories, although the Crusaders contingent had unhappier memories after experiencing two losses there this season.

Daniel Carter, Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Brad Thorn and Owen Franks have an opportunity to avenge those defeats. Zac Guildford, Mils Muliaina, Conrad Smith and Ma'a Nonu are also reinstated after not being required for the experimental line-up beaten 18-5 in Port Elizabeth last weekend.

That loss to the Springboks has been condoned, given it was a fact-finding mission to finesse the World Cup squad announced here on Tuesday.

But a rare defeat to the Wallabies - the All Blacks have won 11 of 13 tests since Robbie Deans switched sides in 2008 - will be harder to sell to a rugby public desperate to see McCaw lift the Webb Ellis Trophy at Eden Park on October 23, 24 years after David Kirk became the first World Cup-winning captain.

The Wallabies have been careful not to provide any added motivation to an All Black side where competition is already intense among contenders for positions in the back three.

Ultra-confident before they aimed to put one hand on the Bledisloe Cup at Eden Park, there has been a distinct lack of bravado after that 16-point defeat on August 6.

Kurtley Beale's pre-test boast that the Wallabies were capable of "ripping any team apart" has been superseded by Genia's cautious optimism.

"We really learnt our lesson in Auckland in terms of how to approach a game against a side that's the benchmark in a lot of areas," he said.

"Sometimes we get caught up with saying too much and talking about it too much rather than just going out and doing it."

In contrast to the Wallabies controversy-laced lead-in the All Blacks have quietly gone about their business, freed from the usual demands of defending the haka or McCaw's behaviour at the breakdown.

Even Sonny Bill Williams - a high-profile omission from the 22-man squad - seems to have taken his rejection with good grace.

Obviously popular at a promotional event in the central city today, Williams made light of his non-selection by joking the only downside was the All Blacks try-count would suffer without his offloads.

- NZPA

a wounded wobbly side is a dangerous side i reckon

Distracted Wallabies ripe for the picking

A star going AWOL, dissention in the ranks and friendly-fire threatening to disable their backline general - the Wallabies bid to annex rugby's Tri-Nations trophy for the first time in a decade appears to have lurched into dangerous territory.

James Horwill could hardly have envisaged a more disruptive build-up to tomorrow night's assignment against their most feared opponents at Suncorp Stadium, an All Blacks side only burdened with standard expectations of winning - and preferably in style -- especially now the World Cup is less than a fortnight away.

Once he got over the shock of being installed as Rocky Elsom's successor before the team returned triumphantly from Durban last Wednesday, Horwill has been busy rallying the troops.

The aftermath of James O'Connor's suspension was followed by allegations of a bust up between the misbehaving wing, Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale in Paris last November. Then there was doubt over halfback Will Genia's health after he was laid out by Radike Samo at training on Tuesday, and then chest bumped by Rob Simmons yesterday.

"Yeah, it's kept me on my toes," said Horwill, who at least confirmed his relationship with Elsom remained harmonious.

"We've spoken most days about different things, we're still good mates," said the second rower, who has also confided in the legendary John Eales, the last Wallabies captain to hold the Tri-Nations trophy aloft in 2001.

A month after leading the Reds to Super rugby glory, Horwill would dearly love to emulate his fellow Queenslander's moment of glory and break the Wallabies Tri-Nations drought with a win that would cause anxiety levels to spike across the Tasman.

However, history suggests a near full-strength All Black side are well equipped to repeat their Bledisloe Cup-retaining efforts at Eden Park on August 6.

Ironically the old Lang Park also resembles a fortress for the All Blacks - they haven't lost there since trans-Tasman tests were moved across town from Ballymore in 1996.

The home of Queensland football has provided the back drop for three of the All Blacks most stirring Bledisloe Cup and Tri-Nations victories, although the Crusaders contingent had unhappier memories after experiencing two losses there this season.

Daniel Carter, Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Brad Thorn and Owen Franks have an opportunity to avenge those defeats. Zac Guildford, Mils Muliaina, Conrad Smith and Ma'a Nonu are also reinstated after not being required for the experimental line-up beaten 18-5 in Port Elizabeth last weekend.

That loss to the Springboks has been condoned, given it was a fact-finding mission to finesse the World Cup squad announced here on Tuesday.

But a rare defeat to the Wallabies - the All Blacks have won 11 of 13 tests since Robbie Deans switched sides in 2008 - will be harder to sell to a rugby public desperate to see McCaw lift the Webb Ellis Trophy at Eden Park on October 23, 24 years after David Kirk became the first World Cup-winning captain.

The Wallabies have been careful not to provide any added motivation to an All Black side where competition is already intense among contenders for positions in the back three.

Ultra-confident before they aimed to put one hand on the Bledisloe Cup at Eden Park, there has been a distinct lack of bravado after that 16-point defeat on August 6.

Kurtley Beale's pre-test boast that the Wallabies were capable of "ripping any team apart" has been superseded by Genia's cautious optimism.

"We really learnt our lesson in Auckland in terms of how to approach a game against a side that's the benchmark in a lot of areas," he said.

"Sometimes we get caught up with saying too much and talking about it too much rather than just going out and doing it."

In contrast to the Wallabies controversy-laced lead-in the All Blacks have quietly gone about their business, freed from the usual demands of defending the haka or McCaw's behaviour at the breakdown.

Even Sonny Bill Williams - a high-profile omission from the 22-man squad - seems to have taken his rejection with good grace.

Obviously popular at a promotional event in the central city today, Williams made light of his non-selection by joking the only downside was the All Blacks try-count would suffer without his offloads.

- NZPA

I've watched a couple of great home-side wins from Suncorp this season, and I'd not bet against a third

SC