What No Rugby Forum!

been looking through the RWC schedule (attached to post 498); would be a keen rugby fan to make it through all of those matches, the thrills of Georgia v Romania etc . . . decided for me there are about six 'must see' matches in the pool games: the opening ceremony followed by NZ-Tonga, SA v Wales, Russia v USA - for views of the old hometown, New Plymouth, Wales v Samoa, NZ v France (of course! and my brother/nephew will be there, they arrive from UK 7am that morning for a 4 week trip) and SA v Samoa.

Toughest pool surely the one with SA, Wales, Samoa, Fiji, Namibia, tough competition for the second spot I expect SA to be too good for the others

Then it's England and ? Scotland or Argentina, NZ and France, Oz and Ireland

then playoffs, and maybe someone will sms me the finals result as I'll be watching Moto GP that day.

read that NRL won't back down on playing the league semi on same night as RWC opening, at Mt Smart a few kms away, though it's still a 'maybe' depending on Warriors next results.

Edited by Atmos

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a wounded wobbly side is a dangerous side i reckon

Distracted Wallabies ripe for the picking

A star going AWOL, dissention in the ranks and friendly-fire threatening to disable their backline general - the Wallabies bid to annex rugby's Tri-Nations trophy for the first time in a decade appears to have lurched into dangerous territory.

James Horwill could hardly have envisaged a more disruptive build-up to tomorrow night's assignment against their most feared opponents at Suncorp Stadium, an All Blacks side only burdened with standard expectations of winning - and preferably in style -- especially now the World Cup is less than a fortnight away.

Once he got over the shock of being installed as Rocky Elsom's successor before the team returned triumphantly from Durban last Wednesday, Horwill has been busy rallying the troops.

The aftermath of James O'Connor's suspension was followed by allegations of a bust up between the misbehaving wing, Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale in Paris last November. Then there was doubt over halfback Will Genia's health after he was laid out by Radike Samo at training on Tuesday, and then chest bumped by Rob Simmons yesterday.

"Yeah, it's kept me on my toes," said Horwill, who at least confirmed his relationship with Elsom remained harmonious.

"We've spoken most days about different things, we're still good mates," said the second rower, who has also confided in the legendary John Eales, the last Wallabies captain to hold the Tri-Nations trophy aloft in 2001.

A month after leading the Reds to Super rugby glory, Horwill would dearly love to emulate his fellow Queenslander's moment of glory and break the Wallabies Tri-Nations drought with a win that would cause anxiety levels to spike across the Tasman.

However, history suggests a near full-strength All Black side are well equipped to repeat their Bledisloe Cup-retaining efforts at Eden Park on August 6.

Ironically the old Lang Park also resembles a fortress for the All Blacks - they haven't lost there since trans-Tasman tests were moved across town from Ballymore in 1996.

The home of Queensland football has provided the back drop for three of the All Blacks most stirring Bledisloe Cup and Tri-Nations victories, although the Crusaders contingent had unhappier memories after experiencing two losses there this season.

Daniel Carter, Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Brad Thorn and Owen Franks have an opportunity to avenge those defeats. Zac Guildford, Mils Muliaina, Conrad Smith and Ma'a Nonu are also reinstated after not being required for the experimental line-up beaten 18-5 in Port Elizabeth last weekend.

That loss to the Springboks has been condoned, given it was a fact-finding mission to finesse the World Cup squad announced here on Tuesday.

But a rare defeat to the Wallabies - the All Blacks have won 11 of 13 tests since Robbie Deans switched sides in 2008 - will be harder to sell to a rugby public desperate to see McCaw lift the Webb Ellis Trophy at Eden Park on October 23, 24 years after David Kirk became the first World Cup-winning captain.

The Wallabies have been careful not to provide any added motivation to an All Black side where competition is already intense among contenders for positions in the back three.

Ultra-confident before they aimed to put one hand on the Bledisloe Cup at Eden Park, there has been a distinct lack of bravado after that 16-point defeat on August 6.

Kurtley Beale's pre-test boast that the Wallabies were capable of "ripping any team apart" has been superseded by Genia's cautious optimism.

"We really learnt our lesson in Auckland in terms of how to approach a game against a side that's the benchmark in a lot of areas," he said.

"Sometimes we get caught up with saying too much and talking about it too much rather than just going out and doing it."

In contrast to the Wallabies controversy-laced lead-in the All Blacks have quietly gone about their business, freed from the usual demands of defending the haka or McCaw's behaviour at the breakdown.

Even Sonny Bill Williams - a high-profile omission from the 22-man squad - seems to have taken his rejection with good grace.

Obviously popular at a promotional event in the central city today, Williams made light of his non-selection by joking the only downside was the All Blacks try-count would suffer without his offloads.

- NZPA

I've watched a couple of great home-side wins from Suncorp this season, and I'd not bet against a third

SC

And another cracking home side win! They didn't look distracted on Astro Supersports...

SC

ABs were out-played in the first half, the aussies shut down the ABs options by rushing up on defense and hanging off the ruck unless they had a chance of a turn over

as I said earlier, a wounded wobbly side is a dangerous side.

dont hit the panic button yet, this is a chance to break-down what went wrong, and fix it.

on a positive note, this will take some pressure off the ABs going into the RWC

that first half - how would one of the UK sides coped with that?

Make it back to 20-20 or give up at half-time?

Think we saw the two best sides in the world last night, and the best team deserved the win

____

meanwhile, real rugby; Taranaki defend the Ranfurly Shield today, as big a prize than the RWC in NZ rugby. Previously Shiled games were always Saturday events but this new ITM Cup format has teams playing three games in 7 days, so they won it Wednesday night and defend it today - if they lose it will be the shortest Shield tenure in history. And we can't have that!

Go Taranaki

19985.2.jpg

in case anyone was wondering . . .

Taranaki can look forward to a long summer with the Ranfurly Shield winning their first challenge, from Hawke's Bay, in New Plymouth, 29-11.

Israel Dagg was expected to play for HB but didn't make it.

Good performance again from Taranaki 10 Beauden Barrett, kicking 5 pens 2 conversions.

Def one to watch next year he was fullback for the winning under-20 World Cup team (Auckland's Anscombe played as 10), and kicked all Taranaki's 15 points in their shield win last week.

Some hope for the future of 10s in NZ then.

climo620_460x230.jpg

Frazier Climo of Taranaki scores a try.

NZ: Five rugby players banned for life

12:57 PM Wednesday Aug 31, 2011

Five players from Otahuhu rugby club have each received a lifetime ban from all rugby.

A judicial hearing was called following the assault on a referee at the conclusion of a match between the Otahuhu and Suburbs under- 19 teams on August.

The panel considered evidence from several parties, including video footage of the incident in which the referee sustained injuries.

The penalties were deemed to be from the more serious category of the NZRU disciplinary rules. Those guidelines also state that clubs are responsible and accountable for the conduct of their players and all persons under their jurisdiction, therefore sanctions have also been imposed on the club and the team coach.

Auckland Rugby Union chairman Glenn Wahlstrom endorsed the decision of the independent judicial committee.

"The judicial committee has given a very strong message and rightly so," he said. "Match officials must have the right to be safe in the role they perform without being subjected to the threat or even worse, acts of violence."

The club has the right to appeal the decision within seven days.

The matter is also with the police.

Edited by Atmos

with only a week away from the RWC, things are starting to stir in Auckland and the rest of the country.

Had heard that a number of teams have made it onto NZ soil already and most should be here by monday.

Things should get exciting by next fridays opener, I dont think there will be many upsets, although Im interested to see how Argentina plays against England, to see who would end up winning pool B.

Tonga vs France could be interesting too. Im expecting a south pacific island team to get to the quarters, as Fiji did last time

another notable game, would be Samoa vs Wales- will be interesting, as the winner would likely end up runner up in pool D

roll on RWC

with only a week away from the RWC, things are starting to stir in Auckland and the rest of the country.

Had heard that a number of teams have made it onto NZ soil already and most should be here by monday.

Things should get exciting by next fridays opener, I dont think there will be many upsets, although Im interested to see how Argentina plays against England, to see who would end up winning pool B.

Tonga vs France could be interesting too. Im expecting a south pacific island team to get to the quarters, as Fiji did last time

another notable game, would be Samoa vs Wales- will be interesting, as the winner would likely end up runner up in pool D

roll on RWC

I reckon Scotland have about the same odds of topping our pool as France theirs, though the irony of both happening would be unbearable.

When the draw was made, although seeded third, we had beaten both the teams seeded above us in our last encounters, while France have as good a record as anyone against the all-blacks, I think. Surely better than any of the other second-seed teams, anyway.

England Argentina will surely be the big game of the first weekend; an acquaintance from home will be in town, so we'll probably enjoy an afternoon in the pub making ourselves unpopular before he has to head off to the airport...

Fiji, Samoa and Wales could all find themselves on wins and draws at the end of the Group; in the case of a tie, it goes first to the results between the teams, and only then to points difference, is that right?

SC

• 5 months later...

That was a disaster against Wales...c'ant really blame the ref though as Sexton missed the conversion of Bowe's try which would heve put us 8 points ahead.

Season over I'm afraid.

never saw a minute fking astro sports had italy pansy footi on,was adv.live on supersport 2,this result sets it up for 17thmarch millenium stad.cardiff,wales vs france revenge.tickets for this at 10bht.gold chains.

• 3 weeks later...

right Meatboy, taffs and anyone else who has an opinion on this.

i am an Englishman and proudly so, but putting aside my loyalties towards my country i like to think that i am a pretty good judge when it comes to recognizing rugby talent whatever nation it may herald from.

i have said it prior to the world cup and during the tournament that i think the Welsh national side may be in the making of something special in years to come. god knows you boys have had to wait long enough !wink.pngbiggrin.png

that coupled with the fact that i also think you have a coach and back room staff to take you to the the highest level. being a life long Wasps supporter i hold Gatland, Howley, Edwards and co in the highest esteem. ( personally i think the English RFU missed a trick in not trying to get these guys on board when they had the chance, but that's another story)

so, as much as it pains me to say it i think the Welsh dragon will undoubtedly trounce the English rose well and truly into the Twickenham turf tomorrow by at least 16 points and awaken the sleeping giant in a sport that gods own people hold so dear to their heart.

wish your boys the best, just wish i had a ticket to to be able to take in one of the sports greatest clashes, but they are like gold dust over here.

no doubt your boys will do you proud as they always do in the singing stakes. sends a shiver down my spine every time i hear the the Welsh national anthem, whatever the fixture.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian Moore really needs to get over Alain Roland.

Some great matches next W/E

Scotland v Italy Wooden Spoon Decider

Wales v France Possible Grand slam

England v Ireland Need I say more

It is Wales's Championship, but will it be a GS

Italy by three

France by five

Bowe to score twice and Ireland by twelve

well done all you Welsh boys !

now go on a dominate the Northern hemisphere and step it up a gear.

btw, love to be in Cardiff right now !

Richly deserved that was after the disappointment at the World Cup.

Congrats to the Welsh! partytime2.gif

• 1 month later...

is there anywhere in Bangkok that I can buy a welsh rugby jersey? I am going there next week and I am after last years top . I will be going to Chon buri too so does anybody know if I'll be able to get them there? Originals would be cool if not as expensive as on the welsh RU website, if not .......oh well

is there anywhere in Bangkok that I can buy a welsh rugby jersey? I am going there next week and I am after last years top . I will be going to Chon buri too so does anybody know if I'll be able to get them there? Originals would be cool if not as expensive as on the welsh RU website, if not .......oh well

Perhaps more relevantly, anywhere I can buy a Thailand shirt?

SC

SC

only really relevant if you support Thailand over and above your home country, but you could try the FBT shop by Siam university. It has a section for all the Thai football teams;so you never know.

SC

only really relevant if you support Thailand over and above your home country, but you could try the FBT shop by Siam university. It has a section for all the Thai football teams;so you never know.

I doubt Scotland will be playing in the Asian Division Two next month, so I would wear a Thai jersey if I had one.

I know this is the wrong thread, but cracking game coming up when Hong Kong go to Tokyo next weekendto try and hand Japan their first defeat since the Asian Five Nations began in 2008.

then a couple of weeks later, Thailand travel to Malaysia for Division Two...

SC

• 4 weeks later...

Well done Scotland, a wicked result. grinding it out on a cold, stormy night. The Aussies will be very upset

Maybe they'll change "Take the High Road" to "Home and Away"...

Maybe there is a god after all, and maybe he's miserable dour old Scotch git.

Goes to show what can be achieved with a bit of faith and determination.

anyway, I would've woken up screaming at about 4 am this morning, if I'd not been watching the Superleague, when I realised that

Saturday 16 June: Fiji v Scotland (9 am THAI) (live on Astro 816) is ...

... A WORKING SATURDAY!!!!

I suppose, a faint glimmer of light is that I'm not actually sure it'll be on live, but there's B-all else on that time of the day, so I'm quite optimistic...

On the bright side, I suppose you can relax, safe from fear of commentary on these fora. I'll be following it with the BBC Text in the office.

Once Evans and Visser arrive, I imagine we will put forward quite a different team and style of play against the islanders, which should make for much more photogenic rugby; Tuesday's game must have been absolutely dismal for the spectators - though they still got 20,000. I doubt they would have had that number in those conditions in Sydney midweek...

SC

some great tests to look forward to today !

the Welsh up against a fragile but very hurt Wallabie side and no doubt what will be a very bruising and physical game on home soil for the Boks hosting the English.

All blacks v the Irish already under way.

Donnyboy are you there ? biggrin.png

My apologies for missing this one

http://www.chartiscu...sta/cms/en/home

Currently on ESPN, though the match kicked off at 6 pm on Saturday in Hong Kong.

I couldn;t find the score, though, so I'll check back on ESPN at full time

currently (46 mins) BGC APBs (Asia Pacific Barbarians?) 19 - 17 Saracens

I'm concentrating on the French Final, though Toulouse 9 - 9 Toulon at half-time

and while I was dealing with an internet connection problem, Toulon won a penalty for Johnny Wilkinson to equalise at 12 - 12

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Well I was sat here cackling with glee and anticipation, and rubbing my hands to boot, waiting for the Fiji - Scotland game to start, thinking "How long is this diving going to go on?" - Wrong channel!

Just in time - I changed over half way through the Hakka;

SC

Anyway, I've got a few cans of irn bru lined up for the game...

And this is a sunnier game, though the video feed is a bit dodgy.

Scotland 7 6 Fiji

And a penalty try from a drive-over scrum! As Scotland show their strength in the scrum to try and intimidate the Fijians. I can't see that happening, to be honest! Scotland 14 - 6 Fiji,,, 25 minutes gone, and I'm going to crack open my second can of irn bru....

... in a moment, once Scotland has cleared their lines; a couple of good breaks from the lineout and the ruck sees Scotland clearing from behind their own line, and as the crowd rise to their feet the video feed drops out.

"Please stay tuned while we address the problem"

Edited by StreetCowboy

And Fiji score from the pressure while the video is off-line

Scotland attack again - ball goes forward in a big tackle...A big push from the fijians but the ball comes out the Scotland side and a penalty ten metres into the Fiji half square in front of the posts, and on come the trusty boots with Greg Laidlaw in them...17 - 11.

And Scotland drive the scrum forward again, as if they're going for a push-over from the 22, then out to Max Evans, then back to Tim Visser, and big Tim goes over for his first try since he became a Scotsman. 24 - 11 at half-time

SC

And the Fijians come out flying in the second half - a break from their own 22 through the Scottish defence, then a chip on to the Scottish 22, but Max Evans rescues it... Scotland attack and the video drops out again...

And we come back to see the Fijians driving phase after phase towards the Scottish line, with good ball control, yard by yard, and over for a try

Edited by StreetCowboy