Phuket Gears Up For Bike Week 2010

webfact

Phuket gears up for Bike Week 2010

phuket-One-of-the-highlights-of-the-16th-annual-Phuket-Bike-Week-is-sure-to-be-the-Miss-Phuket-Bike-Week-pageant-on-April-10-1-kdBAoVg.jpg

One of the highlights of the 16th annual Phuket Bike Week is sure to be the Miss Phuket Bike Week pageant on April 10.

PHUKET: -- Organizers of Phuket Bike Week 2010 expect the event to generate 200 million baht in tourism revenue from big bike enthusiasts visiting from more than 20 countries.

Organizers and local authorities met with Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop earlier this month to discuss preparations for the event, to be held from April 8 to 11 this year.

Representing the Tourism Authority of Thailand South Region 4 Office in Phuket at the meeting was its deputy director, Nongnit Tengmaneewan.

"This is the second year the TAT has supported the event through public relations support and by encouraging foreign media to attend. This year's event will be very big, as it has wide support from both government and private-sector organizations that want to promote Phuket tourism. We expect at least 200 million baht to be spent by riders taking part," she said.

Event organizer Sumon Singkalah told the Gazette that this year's event, to be held in the run-up to the annual Songkran Festival, will feature a wide variety of attractions, including rock, reggae and 'songs for life' concerts by renowned performers, including Carabao.

Already 10,000 rooms have been booked by riders from countries including Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia, he said.

In addition to rides around the island, other highlights will include all-day big bike exhibitions at Jungceylon and Loma Park from April 9 to 11.

Not to be missed on Saturday, April 10 will be the following events:

2pm: Tattoo contest at Jungceylon, Patong Beach;

4pm: 'We Love HM The King' big bike jamboree at Patong Football Field;

6:30pm: Miss Phuket Bike Week 2010 at Jungceylon;

8:30pm: Concert & Beach Party featuring Carabao and Job 2 Do at Loma Park.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-02-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• 1 month later...

item-4- on VDO at http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...13&tb=N1313 or

Over 3,000 big bikers are confirmed to join the Phuket Bike Week 2010 during the Thai Water festival of Songkran in April.

More than 3,000 big bikers from across Thailand and nearby countries have confirmed to gather in Phuket during the ‘Phuket Bike Week 2010’ and celebrate the Thai Water Festival of Songkran, a Deputy Governor of Phuket, Mr. Teerayut Eamtrakul, announced on Saturday. The Phuket Bike Week became an annual event during Songkran holiday period and this year it is scheduled to take place during April 8-13. The main organizer, Witaya Singkara, invites big bikers and participants to join or visit the event which comprises many major activities. He stressed the highlights which include the bikers' carnival and 210 bikes displaying the shape of year 2010 at the soccer field on Patong beach. Training for big bike Highway Police Volunteers will also be arranged during April 8-9, as Mr. Witaya, nicknamed Suman, explained more. (voice) On April 13th, the actual Songkran day, they plan to join the traditional ceremony of pouring water over elders' palms for blessings. Other entertainment activities include Bike Week exhibitions, Miss Phuket Bike Week contests and concerts. The local organizer estimates there will be over 700 million baht in circulation during the Songkran Festival this year.

weekly Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & repeated on satellite C Band (usually net black) frequency 4134 Mhz at symbolate 2530 at 1pm & repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm, 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, Friday 26th March 2010 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews

• 2 weeks later...
Training for big bike Highway Police Volunteers will also be arranged during April 8-9,

I am told there is some kind of event at the Merlin Hotel in Phuket Town on the 8th and 9th which is 500 baht and you become a Highway Police Volunteer after, then there is the group ride. Anyone have detailed information on what this is and what the days of the 8th and 9th consist of? What responsibility a "Highway Police Voulenteer?" has? I assume the seminar is in Thai?

I found a number and made a call and so will answer my own question.

The seminar put on by the Thai Highway Police all day Thursday and Friday at Merlin in Phuket Town is about safety and traffic laws. It is mostly in Thai but their is currently a 30% farang attendance rate therefore there will be people there to help those not fluent enough. The "volunteer" part comes in the form of a request by the THP to report road violations and such. IE they don't expect you to work checkpoints or anything, but you probably could if you wanted to. I have heard of cases where farangs are doing this in Bangkok. At the end you get a certificate and an ID card with your picture stating you are a "Highway Police Volunteer." You need to bring copies of your passport or Thai DL and a picture for the ID card. You must attend 80% of the seminar. PM me if you want the number of the farang I spoke to about it. I think he is one of the organizers.

Edited by ScubaBuddha