Type O Visa Extension Question

Hi All,

I have begun my retirement to Thailand process, and need a little help with the next steps.

I entered Thailand on January 20, 2010 on a multi entry type O visa, valid for 1 year in 90 day segments.

I deposited more than 800,000 baht in a joint savings account I share with my Thai wife on January 27.

My first visa segment is due to expire on April 19. I would like to apply for the annual extension based on retirement before the expiration date and avoid having to do border runs. I believe I have a few options and would appreciate opinions from the experts at Thai Visa.

1. Although I am married to a Thai citizen and could apply for the extension based on marriage which would reduce the amount of money required to be in the bank, other posts have indicated that extension based on retirement is simpler to obtain (less paperwork) as long as the 800,000 baht is not a problem. I am OK with that if in fact it is simpler. My question here is does the joint savings account qualify for the retirement extension, marriage extension, or both?

2. Am I correct that the funds only have to deposited for 60 days prior to the first annual extension, then for 90 days for future extensions? If so, it seems I am OK as 60 days would take me to March 20, well before the April expiration date (as long as the account does not have to be in my name only). If I am not correct about the "seasoning time" or the account name, then I am assuming I would need to do a border run in order to buy another 90 days and open an account in my name only.

Also, is there a specific time frame that the application or border run must be completed within prior to the expiration date?

3. I live in Northern Thailand and plan to apply in Chiang Mai. Can those with experience at this office tell me what I will need in paperwork, etc. to make the extension process hassle free, be it based on retirement or marriage?

4. Am I correct that after I obtain the extension (based on retirement or marriage), my only future requirements are to report to my local jurisdiction every 90 days, and to renew annually in Chiang Mai?

My thanks in advance to all those who can offer me corrections, clarifications, or confirmations.

Sorry, the money need to be in a bankaccount in your name only. Not in a joined account. They might accept the extension based on marriage if you have 800,000, as you only will need 400,000 for that.

If you also have an income (can be from abroad), you can apply based on the combination of yearly income plus money in the bank if the combined total is 800,000 or more. In that case there is no need to season the money, dso just putting it in an acount in your name only will be enough.

Incoem from abroad must be confirmed with a letter from your embassy, money in the bank with your bankbook and a letter from the bank confirming the money.

You have to apply at your own reginal immigration office. There are several offices in the North!

The 90 day reporting can be done by post at most immigration offices.

Remember also that if you plan to travel abroad during the period of the extension you will need to obtain a re-entry permit from immigration to keep your permission to stay alive. Fee 1000 baht single entry; 3800 baht multi entry.