Where Are The Air Apologists Today

cerbera

I find it curious that the Chinese "Academy of Science" is used anywhere as a reliable source about pollution in China. Gimme a break!

If you are curious about the preparation and "accommodations" that China made to host the recent Olympics, then you are in for some eye-opening information! Just "Google it." You'll find it! Except if you want to use Google search in China, that is !

Edited by Mapguy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While ~o:37 may explain his present being, some of us associate him with his picture, that of a Zacathan.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun CMX,

We are not familiar with the term "Zacathan;" our "picture" here is one my human took himself, years before his metamorphosis into a orang-human duo, at Wat Bupparam, here in Chiang Mai. Technically, that "spiritual beast" is a "mom-makara," a Lanna-Burmese variant of the Makara figure. As you face Wat Bupparam, walk around to the right side of the Wat, and you'll see the two Mom-Makaras "riding atop the stair wells" as it were.

Of course not knowing what "Zacathan" means doesn't mean we don't take that as a great compliment.

thanks, ~o:37;

I was going up the Suthep road two days ago and was aghast to see large scale burning happening just above town between the channel 7 TV mast and Wat Palaat. In the car was grandma who I had just picked up from an appt for asthmatic symptoms!

My gj called the burning hotline and was told they already knew.

My question is what results from these calls? Is there any sort of public record of what happens, what results, from the calls they get?

ps There is of course a complete absence of true political will as this could be reduced dramatically in one season.

Edited by sleepyjohn

Leave it to the Thais. If they don't fix it, we farang can't.

Not sure this is terribly helpful... does the same go for orphans? sexually abused children? we should not help them? because the Thais don't? this is extreme I know but we should be able to comment - after all the Thais want us here and are encouraging us to come?

Should the slogan now be 'Choking Thailand'? it appalling - we may not be able to do much but we should speak up - are you living in Chiang Mai and suffering like us? it's horrible this morning... and my throat is as sore as sandpaper...

I was going up the Suthep road two days ago and was aghast to see large scale burning happening just above town between the channel 7 TV mast and Wat Palaat.

My gf called the hotline and was told they already knew.

My question is is there any sort of public record of what happens, what results, from the calls they get?

ps: a complete absence of true political will as this could be reduced dramatically in one season.

Edited by sleepyjohn

lots of positive social change has occurred inside Thailand that was helped or instigated from outside or non Thai sources.

Opium popply eradication

Human trafficking crackdowns

child prostitution illegalization

Infectious disease programs like malaria etc

Other regional drug supression/trafficking like meth and marijuana

HIV programs

Orphan programs

education/health care for hill tribes

probably quite a few other things also.

If you subscribe to the "its none of our business as foreigners" idea then these postive changes would likely never have materialized.

Thailand has made some great gains in those areas and could just as easily with air quality if it was made to be an 'Issue" and helped by outside influences.

It was even announced recently that China will be phasing out the practice of eating dogs and cats which was largely criticized by non citizens. More recently pet owners inside China have complained also.

Progressive change. It's why we don't live in caves now.

lots of positive social change has occurred inside Thailand that was helped or instigated from outside or non Thai sources.

Eradication of leprosy

Hospitals

Modern medicines

TV

Telephone

Electricity

Computer

Internet

Cars

Motorbikes

etc.

...Ya I guess there's a few.

I feel slightly guilty now as Im sure peaceblondie didn't quite mean us to take the analogy this far... so in the interest of slightly balancing it I think it may be true that we can't actually do much if the Thai's are not motivated to do it themselves - but 'leave it to the Thai's' might have been rather hopeful as they never do much without a burning (forgive the pun) reason for doing it - here are some:

* Money (number one)

* Family (there family never yours)

* Promotion

* Status

* Losing Face

* They are hungry

* The Buffalo is ill

* They are ill

* The Mother told them to

* The Wife told them to

* The Mia Noi told them to

* The Girl Friend told them to

* The Gik told them to

Farangs are wayyyyyyyyyyy down the list... :)

Edited by ChiangMaiFun

Whoa.. what happened yesterday!!! Even without rain the air just cleared out of nowhere.. I'm not sure I've ever seen that just happen in the middle of the day before. Blue skies this morning! This may finally be it for the hazy season.

Temperatures will be hot hot hot though, without all that cooling haze to reflect the sun back into space. dam_n.

Next: 21 separate topics complaining about the heat. And Songkran. :)