Complete Newbie About Bikes & Questions

Yunnie

I've already read around a little bit and hopefully I can write the proper questions. Also looking for confirmation to see if I understood what I was reading correctly. lol

I was looking at the Yamaha Fresh in the Chiang mai TV classifieds. Everything seems in order and he has the book. "Mileage" or whatever its called in the rest of the world, is low at 23,500km. and the price is low. As much as it looks good, I see yellow flags waving around too. cause the price seems low for that much miles/km.

I've already written to him and asked if the bike is currently registered in his name , as well as which jangwat. Also asked if the book matches the bike and the parts match.

My questions are,

Where do I go to have the parts checked to match the book? DMV (Land Transport Department)? Where is it in Chiang mai? I know its in Nong Hoi area but I couldnt find the street, at least on my map.

- I'm not going to buy it until I know everything is in order and legit. SO if he wants to sell... he'll have to comply with my paranoia. lol

How would I know at first glance if something is wrong? And where would the VIN be so I can check? Can I check the parts myself (at least to see if they match to book) and DMV can check if its match to the model?

If everything turns out in working order, all paper work can be done at DMV right?

(besides the cert of residence. I'll pick that up soon I guess. I'll have to go in a week or 2 earlier then I thought.)

I dont need a Thai License to be the owner of a bike do I?

(I do plan to get one, but was going to wait a couples weeks. Practice on campus first. Workers on campus give me funny looks when I practice though. lol)

Besides going to DMV and immigration, is there any other places I need to go?

What forms do I have to sign? Any scanned copies floating around? I just want to look.

I read it somewhere but I cant for the life of me find that thread again. As for the forms being in Thai, its okay. I can read enough Thai. So no issue there.

After I switch it over to my name, even though everything for this year is up to date, is there anything else I need to pay? Like the mandatory insurance? How much was it again? And do I need additional insurance?

Also, due to my lazyness(I really hate having to read difficult Thai, I get headaches) would going to an agent be possible and just having them do all the work? If possible, anyone know of one in Chiang mai that speaks English okay?

-If they speak more Thai but can understand some English and is really good thats fine.

I dont know, I think I covered it all. If I'm missing something, please inform me.

Thanks