Thai Tourism Severly Hit By Grenade Attacks At Bangkok's Silom Rd

webfact

Grenade attacks at Silom severely hit tourism industry

BANGKOK (TNA) -- Thailand’s beleaguered tourism industry sank deeper into disrepair and despair as it became even more seriously affected by the grenade attacks at Sala Daeng intersection and the adjacent BTS Skytrain station on Silom Road Thursday night and the ongoing anti-government protest, according to the Federation of Thai Tourism Associations (FETTA).

Following the M79 grenade blasts, Apichart Sankary, a FETTA committee member, said the incident worsened the tourism sector and upped the number of foreign tourists who cancelled their trips for fear of the violence.

FETTA earlier estimated that if the political turmoil continues, the number of travellers to Thailand will fall by 2-2.5 million because the tourists have lost confidence in Thailand's safety measures.

Due to the escalating tension, Mr Apichart said, it is hard to see that there will actually be 15 million visitors travelling to Thailand this year as the government previously had projected.

Before the street gatherings, entrepreneurs in the private sector predicted only 12 million tourists visiting the kingdom this year.

As a result of the current political situation and Thursday's grenade attacks, he believed that reaching a level of 10 million visitors will not be easy.

Mr Apichart added that tourism operators will meet Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Suraphon Svetasreni to map out plan to solve the problems concerned in the future on Monday.

On Thursday night, five M-79 grenades fired at the Silom Road-Sala Daeng intersection, hitting the BTS Skytrain station and on the street below where the 'Silom community' and pro-government 'Multi-Coloured Group' were rallying against the anti-government 'Red Shirt' United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) supporters, killing one person and wounding 87, including foreigners.

The attacks apparently targeted the anti-Red Shirt groups, gathering on the street beneath the BTS Sala Daeng station, to confront the red-shirted protesters encamped across the street behind a barricade of tires and sharpened bamboo staves. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-04-23

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean tourist not coming. All my chum's are, they will be arriving BKK in the next week or two. Just one small problem they'll be in transit on there way to Bali.

It is plan for Mr. T to destroy Thailand bit at a time. First truism, they export industry. Don’t be full to think they are safe, unless this madness is stooped little by little other industry will be effected. I saw the stock market going down and every one that that was safe. The ones that will be mostly effected are the poor, the Issan and for sure the Red shirt folks.

What do you mean tourist not coming. All my chum's are, they will be arriving BKK in the next week or two. Just one small problem they'll be in transit on there way to Bali.

It is plan for Mr. T to destroy Thailand bit at a time. First truism, they export industry. Don't be full to think they are safe, unless this madness is stooped little by little other industry will be effected. I saw the stock market going down and every one that that was safe. The ones that will be mostly effected are the poor, the Issan and for sure the Red shirt folks.

You got it spot on, that is what it´s all about. He want to bring Thailand to it knees. One dangerous bast**d. I wish him all bad carma one person can get. :)

Thai tourism industry - airport closure ( by yellow ) - Bangkok rally ( by red ) - violence ( by unidentified ) = who deal to come ?

almost a formula of 'economic suicide' :-(

first hit, hotel industries; second hit, service industries . . . perhaps, last hit, farmers at north east !

It is plan for Mr. T to destroy Thailand bit at a time. First truism, they export industry. Don't be full to think they are safe, unless this madness is stooped little by little other industry will be effected. I saw the stock market going down and every one that that was safe. The ones that will be mostly effected are the poor, the Issan and for sure the Red shirt folks.

WOW,

You really need to read your stuff before posting. Your spelling, grammar and word-choices are attrocious. I wonder what the annual income is for the truism industry ? Or, am I just being a full ?

Before launching into criticism, have you considered that perhaps Givenall's first language is not English, in which case you are indeed a "full".

It is plan for Mr. T to destroy Thailand bit at a time. First truism, they export industry. Don’t be full to think they are safe, unless this madness is stooped little by little other industry will be effected. I saw the stock market going down and every one that that was safe. The ones that will be mostly effected are the poor, the Issan and for sure the Red shirt folks.

wait until the no color shirts going to look after Shinawatra businesses in Thailand, there maybe a relief in the other areas. :)

Some general guidelines for posting:

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native english speaker and excessive posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

Thank you OldWolf. I have deleted a crap-load of posts, all pertaining to grammar, spelling and wording.

Further comments by the grammar-nazis will earn some warnings. It's off-topic, it's inflammatory and probably just trolling.

wait until the no color shirts going to look after Shinawatra businesses in Thailand, there maybe a relief in the other areas. :)

But didn't I see somewhere today that Korn/The Finance Ministry isn't going to need to borrow next month because revenues are above expectation and that last month exports were at an all time high?

But hey, we are always being told that our tourist / expat dollars, yen and pounds are a minor part of the economy and that we should shove off to our own country if we question anything about the way Thailand issues are handled.... so maybe the tourist/farang bashers will get their wish....

Truly a shame that it WILL affect the average easy going local (and expat)business just trying to make a living.

Over the past few years Thailand has been trying its best to replace the 'adventure' and backpack tourists by higher pricing, visa restrictions, etc - the idea being to attract so called 'high end' tourists. So there's been massive inflation. Sixty quid a room per night in locations where a few years ago it was possible to stay for a fiver, two fifty for a half pint of beer, golf green fees forty quid a round plus caddy fees and tips - after paying airfares most young people can't afford to stay here for any length of time - if at all.

So people who can afford to come here these days are older or working. But they don't have the free time to hang around in airports waiting for occupations to end; don't like teargas wafting through the hotel lobby; don't appreciate having to scamper for safety or be evacuated from their hotel. They're not here for adventure - they're here for hassle free relaxation.

It looks like the country is hel_l bent on trying to get rid of the high end tourists now too, by serial political instability and pitched street battles. One has to wonder what class of tourist there is left who would want to come here?

One has to wonder what class of tourist there is left who would want to come here?

absolutely ! number of countries already warned 'due to the state of emergence and all the violence, insurance will not be covered in Thailand' :)

One has to wonder what class of tourist there is left who would want to come here?

absolutely ! number of countries already warned 'due to the state of emergence and all the violence, insurance will not be covered in Thailand' :)

And in any case, if you were rich would you come to Thailand? A friend of mine stayed in a so called 5 star hotel, when the cable tv failed they still sent up the ubiquitous idiot with a screwdriver, and all else was as you'd expect, dodgy light switches, mega cold air con, and noise, noise, noise.

Hardly 'millionaires paradise'.

I've always doubted this GDP tourism figure of 6%, especially as globally it's 10% I think (not sure).

But Thai governments have stated time and again that tourism is not important to them. I think that's a big mistake, it's a service industry that keeps a few million employed and 'off the streets'.

Yes we can clearly see, big, big mistake. Typical greed failing to see more complex issues.

Thai tourism industry - airport closure ( by yellow ) - Bangkok rally ( by red ) - violence ( by unidentified ) = who deal to come ?

almost a formula of 'economic suicide' :-(

first hit, hotel industries; second hit, service industries . . . perhaps, last hit, farmers at north east !

Not to worry, it will be fixed the Thai way. Double all prices!!

Not to worry, it will be fixed the Thai way. Double all prices!!

yeah, Thai is very optimistic and very flexible :-)

meanwhile, the tourist industries of Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore . . . are all in front of the TV. they smile from their hearts and prepare for the 2010 'contingence' growth plans :)

Grenades and gunfire do tend to put people into 'Cautious mode'. But once the baht value increases due to currency devaluation the travel bargain hunters will return.

PS: For those challenged by the English language using a service such as Worldlingo.com can be very helpful. It's free as are many others. :)

Having read through all the posts so far, I think, to one extent or another, I can agree with all of them .

I honestly think that Thailand has really stuffed it this time. My prediction it will be at least a year before anything like a smile appears on those whose income comes mainly from tourists. But, your right, people do have short memories. They will return, but to what proportion?

And yes Korn/Finance clearly thinks when he is talking to the average savvy westener, they don't know he's lieing and full of sh*t.

And yes Retdson, I agree. What marketing strategy will they come up with to try and get them back? I'm sure they're banking on "there's one born everyday" in tourist market and they will be easily sucked in with "The Thai smile or Amazing Thailand" and so forth.

In their figures I'm sure they don't count all the millions that don't go through the books (not declared) especially from the massive sex industry. I mean it could be 10,12 or 15%. But, it's pretty hard to admit while your strutting around on the world stage that 10 or 15% of your GDP comes from prostitution.

Having read through all the posts so far, I think, to one extent or another, I can agree with all of them .

I honestly think that Thailand has really stuffed it this time. My prediction it will be at least a year before anything like a smile appears on those whose income comes mainly from tourists. But, your right, people do have short memories. They will return, but to what proportion?

And yes Korn/Finance clearly thinks when he is talking to the average savvy westener, they don't know he's lieing and full of sh*t.

And yes Retdson, I agree. What marketing strategy will they come up with to try and get them back? I'm sure they're banking on "there's one born everyday" in tourist market and they will be easily sucked in with "The Thai smile or Amazing Thailand" and so forth.

In their figures I'm sure they don't count all the millions that don't go through the books (not declared) especially from the massive sex industry. I mean it could be 10,12 or 15%. But, it's pretty hard to admit while your strutting around on the world stage that 10 or 15% of your GDP comes from prostitution.

:)

Certainly not 5 star attributes.

Hmm, the truly adventurous, the thrill-seekers, the suicidal

See! 3 groups at least...

Simon

:) Very drole! Seriously though, the problem is that most 3 week tourists (as opposed to the wandering backpacker) book their holidays months and months in advance. So even if it quietens down now, what's to say the whole thing isn't going to kick off again sometime down the road? Coming to Thailand these days is probably analogous to taking a hill walking holiday on Katla in Iceland...

Maybe just change the marketing ploys. There used to be a very popular Chinese restaurant in San Francisco with just OK food but they packed them in because of a famous waiter who would insult the customers. Masochism and delicious Asian food, it's a winner!

Edited by Jingthing

Maybe just change the marketing ploys. There used to be a very popular Chinese restaurant in San Francisco with just OK food but they packed them in because of a famous waiter who would insult the customers. Masochism and delicious Asian food, it's a winner!

You mean change the jingle from the 'land of smiles' to 'the land of M79s'?