A Sick Freind!

brianmarinus

Thai or Farang ? You're putting him or her up ? What kind of funds are available ? How long term do you think the care will run b4.... the end ? Give us a little more info... I know you're stressed, but take amin n tell us more so we can properly address the situation.

http://www.mckeanhosp.org/

This is a hospital on the outskirts of ChiangMai.

It is now branching out into age care at apretty fair standard mainly I think to raise funds for their other activities giving medical care to poor people,

I think if you have a talk there they may be able to help make Carson a bitmore comfortable.

It has an interesting history as it was until recently a lepor colony but now provides a variety of care for people who really need it.

I do not generally like christian organizations but this one really seems to be delivering on its promises.

Edited by harrry

Hi!

Yes,you are right-you need a bit more info-I am sorry.!

He is from Denmark,and the Embasy wont help him,becourse he have no insurrance-dont border to tell me,this is stupid-I know,and agree-but thats the situation.

The docs say that they think,he have most 6 month left,and whitout kemo less,then that.

Personaly,I think,that the kemo will kill him-he is to week,I think-but we have to see.

About mony-there is only,he s pension-about 60.000 baht each month.

I try to send a message to the link,from Mr. Harry-so lets see if they respond.

Thanks for your understanding,and kindness.!

Brian

Hi!

Yes,you are right-you need a bit more info-I am sorry.!

He is from Denmark,and the Embasy wont help him,becourse he have no insurrance-dont border to tell me,this is stupid-I know,and agree-but thats the situation.

The docs say that they think,he have most 6 month left,and whitout kemo less,then that.

Personaly,I think,that the kemo will kill him-he is to week,I think-but we have to see.

Brian

Why would anyone say this is stupid without knowing his age? Try getting medical insurance at any price when you turn 70 or even less.

Agree Paul; I think its a conspiracy between the medical/health insurance companies and the beneficiaries of our life insurance policies. That is why I keep the info from the latter. Seriously the cost for medical/health insurance is prohibitive to most of us over 65 and living outside our country of birth.

Hi!

Brian

60,000 a month should be plenty. Try contacting the McKean Institute as suggested. It offers hospice care for the terminally ill. There used to always be a foreign doctor in residence, but I don't know now. It's a beautiful setting along the Ping River (100-year-old former leper colony).

Their high need care is about 35000 bht a month so he should be fine.

I am sure he will recieve great care there. It may come with a few christian lectures though but they are dedicated to the needs of people. It is on beutiful land if he gets well enough to walk round. It has some of the nicest trees I have seen in thailand.

... snip ... He is from Denmark,and the Embasy wont help him,becourse he have no insurrance

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Brianmarinus,

Sorry to hear about your friend; he's very lucky to have you in his life and trying to help him.

Find it a bit hard to believe that Denmark, one of the most socially progressive countries, with one of the most advanced medical, and all-encompassing social benefit and entitlement systems, in the world. would not assist your friend to return to Denmark where he would receive state-sponsored full medical benefits. That's assuming he's not made a firm decision to remain in Chiang Mai : in that case we know nothing about what Denmark would do or not do.

Even the American consulate here, under emergency circumstances has been known to fly people back (and they'll try and ... aggressively ... collect the money from the flown-back person's family members, later).

Clearly, this forum is not the place to discuss the intimate medical details of your friend's cancer, or its prognosis, but the number one Oncologist in Thailand is here at Maharaj Hospital on Thanon Suthep, Dr. Khun Loavicharn, heading an excellent radiation therapy clinic. Strongly suggest you get a consultation from Dr. Loavicharn.

Second, re "6 months at most" : please do read this essay :

Median is Not the Message by Stephen Jay Gould

to help you, and, possibly, your friend, get some perspective on what mortality statistics mean in cancer prognosis, and in evaluating potential outcomes of dangerous radiation and chemotherapy treatments : it's written by the late Dr. S. J. Gould, the world-class evolutionary biologist and very popular author, who survived his own first experience with cancer (mesothelemia) for twenty years.

It's written for non-scientists, and, ioho, has some deep wisdom that has given many cancer patients and their families (including my human component) comfort.

good luck, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37