Best Fish & Chips In Bkk ?

powderpuff

As a sponsor and another sponsor I have to believe that that our Fish & Fries (fresh fries) are some of the best in Bangkok. The Duke's Express in The Emprorium has fresh frozen dory for their fish. It is a great product.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a sponsor and another sponsor I have to believe that that our Fish & Fries (fresh fries) are some of the best in Bangkok. The Duke's Express in The Emprorium has fresh frozen dory for their fish. It is a great product.

"Fresh frozen"???

Perhaps he meant flash frozen but didn't want to confuse you mate? Ooops. ;) Or it was fresh then frozen then freshly thawed?

"Fresh frozen"???

Perhaps he meant flash frozen but didn't want to confuse you mate? Ooops. ;) Or it was fresh then frozen then freshly thawed?

I think he means like we get 'em in Scotland. Freshly cooked and bloody freezing by the time you get them home. B)

Edited by smokie36

New upscale fish n'chips:

Fat Gut'z

264 Thong-lor soi 12 sukhumvit 55,

Reservation and Food Delivery: 027149832

Daily 11.00am - 02.00am

Live music 9pm till midnight

Food Delivery: 11.00am - midnight

http://fatgutz.com/

http://bk.asia-city....2%80%99z-saloon

Has anybody ever tried this place, it always seems closed during the day, I passed it the other evening at 21.45, it was heaving with people falling out on the street, seemed like a very busy bar not a chippie - could have been a party.

I've been twice. Downstairs is a cocktail bar and upstairs is the fish & chips bar although food and drinks are served on both floors. The fish & chips are the best I've tried, anywhere, but for the price it should be. Not a greasy chippie like Offshore, but a gourmet version. The single 450 baht fish & chips can easily feed two people, which makes it a lighter investment. Huge slab of fresh fish fried in an excellent batter. Chips are very good but it was the fish I was most impressed with. The owner is Australian. In terms of quality it reminded me of fish & chips I had at an excellent place on Russell Square in London (I forget the name but it was well known) years ago, after being disappointed by a dozen chippie stops around England and Wales.

I shared an avocado and seared tuna salad with my dining companion once, also very good. One of their dessert specials is a chocolate brownie containing 17% alcohol. ;) Haven't tried it, but it looked good.

If you just want a meal, come before 9pm when the band starts playing and the place fills up with customers who plan to make a night out of it. I believe it opens at 6pm. Good live blues/jazz band on Wed, Fri and Saturday, led by guitarist Jerry Byrd. After 9 the place packs out. Once the tables are full they only allow new arrivals in as the current customers leave, to avoid over-crowding.

YMMV, ie not everyone's cup of tea. If you're the kind of person who never eats gourmet hamburgers because you only like the cheap mass-marketed version, you probably won't be too excited about gourmet fish & chips either.

• Like 1

^^^

Thanks for that, explains everything, will give it a try.

Well that was quick, we have just been, excellent fish and chips, and have to agree the portions are very big.

Most enjoyable, thank you.

By the way, they mentioned that they will be open for lunch from next month.

After trying Gutz last week, which we enjoyed, we were in Emporium yesterday so I thought I would give Dukes Express a go. I ordered the fish and chips, the batter looked a bit anemic so I thought I had made the wrong choice, however the fish was very tasty indeed, clearly freshly cooked and nice and juicy portion of fish.

My other half had a small portion of ribs and was suitably impressed.

It doesn't claim to be a gourmet restaurant but it's ideal if you need to eat when shopping and it's reasonably priced.

I don't get it.

WHY is so hard to find average farang food in BKK and in the rest of SE Asia

without paying premium prices ?

fish & chips is probably the simplest and cheapest food you can cook

even by yourself at home.

450 bath for a fish & chips cooked by a thai chef ?

(and probably using the cheapest coconut oil, adding sugar, glutamate, and other shit as to

please their thai tastes...)

and indeed it's ridicolous to see hi-end restaurants selling fish & chips or

other cheap street foods for premium prices.

the only good burger i ever had in thailand was at Mike's in Chiang Mai,

a bit expensive recently but worth every penny.

no idea about fish & chips, you probably better cook it home yourself

as i did with burgers and much more when i still had a kitchen.

I've been twice. Downstairs is a cocktail bar and upstairs is the fish & chips bar although food and drinks are served on both floors. The fish & chips are the best I've tried, anywhere, but for the price it should be. Not a greasy chippie like Offshore, but a gourmet version. The single 450 baht fish & chips can easily feed two people, which makes it a lighter investment. Huge slab of fresh fish fried in an excellent batter. Chips are very good but it was the fish I was most impressed with. The owner is Australian. In terms of quality it reminded me of fish & chips I had at an excellent place on Russell Square in London (I forget the name but it was well known) years ago, after being disappointed by a dozen chippie stops around England and Wales.

I shared an avocado and seared tuna salad with my dining companion once, also very good. One of their dessert specials is a chocolate brownie containing 17% alcohol. ;) Haven't tried it, but it looked good.

If you just want a meal, come before 9pm when the band starts playing and the place fills up with customers who plan to make a night out of it. I believe it opens at 6pm. Good live blues/jazz band on Wed, Fri and Saturday, led by guitarist Jerry Byrd. After 9 the place packs out. Once the tables are full they only allow new arrivals in as the current customers leave, to avoid over-crowding.

YMMV, ie not everyone's cup of tea. If you're the kind of person who never eats gourmet hamburgers because you only like the cheap mass-marketed version, you probably won't be too excited about gourmet fish & chips either.

I agree with this review, having tried the place out for an early dinner (about 6:30pm) last week. Was still busy even at that time on a Monday which shows the place is doing well, and it deserves to.

Like Sabaijai I was particularly impressed with the fish which is the best battered fish I've had in Thailand, possibly anywhere. Chips were also good, especially by Bangkok standards.

I don't think it is too unreasonably priced either: for a start there is no ++ or other hidden charges. We had "fish & chips for 2" for 800 Baht, which could easily have fed 3 people, being as it includes 3 pieces of fish and a mountain of chips. A nice touch was the addition of 2 deep fried shrimps, not sure if you get this in the 450 Baht single portion. We couldn't finish it all anyway, and we were both stuffed - if three people were eating this order, they would still come out satisfied I think, and it would cost 266 Baht each. Not bad.

Oh My Cod is under new ownership. Guy's email is [email deleted

Might be worth another try?

Good news - last time I went there early this year it was awful, in marked contrast to my previous visit a year or so previously when it was very good.

Do you know if it's the same menu and prices as before?

I don't get it.

(and probably using the cheapest coconut oil, adding sugar, glutamate, and other shit as to

You might want to try the fare before criticising it. From what I can tell, only high-quality oil and quality ingredients are used for frying at FG. No MSG. The owner is Australian.

You've also missed the point about gourmet fish and chips. If you want cheap fish and chips, plenty of that around, too. Plenty of cheap farang food all around in Bangkok. You get what you pay for. ;)

I don't get it.

You might want to try the fare before criticising it. From what I can tell, only high-quality oil and quality ingredients are used for frying at FG. No MSG. The owner is Australian.

You've also missed the point about gourmet fish and chips. If you want cheap fish and chips, plenty of that around, too. Plenty of cheap farang food all around in Bangkok. You get what you pay for. ;)

Fish n Chips anywhere in BKK is aimed at foreigners, and the price goes up. Secret Recipe and Cafe Nero being the cheapest I know of at about 220 something baht, and so thick with fatty breadcrumbs that you need to detox after it. It also doesn't fill you up. Yet to have a good fish n chips at an English pub that was value for money either at 350 baht+. If FG can do something quality in good quantity then 450 might be worth a try. Good seafood/fish Thai style is easy and cheap to find, but British style fish n chips is a different matter.

^^^^^

Not sure, we went there for dinner a couple of weeks ago and they told us they were going to open for lunch from this month, and I noticed the black board outside when we were driving past this afternoon.

You could call them, there is a link on this thread.

FAT GUT'Z sounds good.

Although, I don't suppose you'll ever get a good, cheap, chippy in Bangkok - like Superfish in Waterloo....

I actually took my Mrs there 2 weeks ago for her first ever "fish and chips"...The waitresses were Chinese :lol:

RAZZ

FAT GUT'Z sounds good.

Although, I don't suppose you'll ever get a good, cheap, chippy in Bangkok - like Superfish in Waterloo....

I actually took my Mrs there 2 weeks ago for her first ever "fish and chips"...The waitresses were Chinese :lol:

RAZZ

Sorry to go off topic but where is the Superfish in Waterloo? I always used Livebait which is a hel_l of a lot more expensive. Love the places in Esher and Morden though I assume its the same people....

FAT GUT'Z sounds good.

RAZZ

Sorry to go off topic but where is the Superfish in Waterloo? I always used Livebait which is a hel_l of a lot more expensive. Love the places in Esher and Morden though I assume its the same people....

Walking away from the river (towards Kennington) it's about 100 metres or so down Waterloo road from the Old Vic.

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/venue/2:1175/masters-super-fish

RAZZ

Good news - last time I went there early this year it was awful, in marked contrast to my previous visit a year or so previously when it was very good.

Sorry for delay - been upcountry.

Copied and pasted from the email received in response to my asking about Beer Lao:

First of thanks for giving us another chance. The short answer is yes we have all of beer in stock.

The longer answer is that we are the new owners of Oh My Cod and the previous owner let things run down to very low levels on many things. We are addressing all issues and of course poor inventory control in place.

We are doing our best to add some new things to the menu and increasing the quality of everything in the shop.

Take care and hope to see you soon.z

Jody

sent from my Droid

• Like 1

Copied and pasted from the email received in response to my asking about Beer Lao:

First of thanks for giving us another chance. The short answer is yes we have all of beer in stock.

The longer answer is that we are the new owners of Oh My Cod and the previous owner let things run down to very low levels on many things. We are addressing all issues and of course poor inventory control in place.

We are doing our best to add some new things to the menu and increasing the quality of everything in the shop.

Jody

sent from my Droid

Good to hear. Will you be making propa 'chip shop' chips?

Jody

sent from my Droid

Good to hear. Will you be making propa 'chip shop' chips?

Reading so much about Fish n chips I had to get some. Tried Sukhumvit soi 23 offshore again, last time was 9 years ago.

Wasn't bad but something missing as I wouldn't go back again.

Strange also that they don't sell pickled onions, good job I took my own as well as some onion vinegar.

Asked the owner why no onions and he just mumbled something about it's time he made his own but no explanation.

RE: pickled onions, villa selling Haywards, expensive but are crunchy so worth the expense.

Well that was an amusing read :D . Jeez I do miss the old fish n' chips from home and was wondering where to find some, this topic certainly gave me some ideas for places to try out. Particularly liked the comment about decent fish and chips being hard to find outside of Scotland! that's a good one, I guess that poster must have only left Scotland the one time, went straight to Thailand and has never been anywhere else lol.

I'll back up the OP on Scottish fish and chips which in general are of far superior quality than I have tasted in other countries. Although you'd have to ask especially for cod in Scotland as haddock is usually served.

Please don't flame me for the Scotland thing I realise there are great fish and chips elsewhere just I reckon you have a much better chance of finding quality in Scotland than other places.

The place in Soi 23 is only to be attempted when pissed. :)

You are kidding, right? I used to live in Asok (about 5 years back) and went to the place in soi 23 every night after work, about 6pm. Can't vouch for it now, but it was the only place I ever found that got the chips JUST right, not so sure about the fish, I usually went for the baked beans and 2 fried eggs option, 120 baht. Quality!

Ok, just got back from Fat Gutz. Not yet open at lunchtimes but does open at 6pm each evening. I was expecting the 450 baht for one / 800 baht for two prices but it's changed...

it's now 320 baht for one and 600 for two. I had the 600 to share and got a huge bowl of chips, 3 fillets of fish (normal size), 2 prawns, lemon and 2 pickled onions. Plus home-made tartar sauce.

All I can say is....amazing. Probably the best I've ever had and definitely the best in Bangkok. I don't know what you get for the 320 one portion, but this double portion was too much for 2 people...just. Brilliant chips, brilliant fish in a batter I've never tasted anything like before and great value for money. Would have LOVED to have tried their alcoholic chocolate pudding and recommended milkshake, but that will be a separate visit.

You will never want to buy Fish and Chips from an English pub here again after you've tried this. That Aussie has a secret recipe for sure.