Isuzu Mu-7 Super Platinum/groove

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will be collecting on the 16th, hopefully. its the Super Platinum Activo 4x4 model. Can't wait.

I hear 'ya! That's good news that you will be getting your car so quickly!! Are you buying a car from the dealer's on-hand vehicle stock or did you special order a vehicle?

will be collecting on the 16th, hopefully its the Super Platinum Activo 4x4 model. Can't wait.

.....oops, forgot to ask: Did your salesperson happen to mention whether or not (or even when) they stop taking customers special orders for 2010 MU-7 models and will only sell vehicles from the models they currently have in stock?

Had our Platinum about a year now and more than happy with it. Don't expect it to handle like a sports car and find it well comfortable on long runs.

Welcome to the club! I hear 'ya about the driving characteristics of the MU-7 - I think a lot of people compare this PPV/SUV with that of passenger/sport cars. I personally like to compare it to the Fortuner or (even more on par?) the Everest.....but I digress

Have you put bigger wheels or tires on your MU-7?

[quote name='thailoht' date='2010-06-11 00:51' timestamp='1276192300' post='3678835'

Have you put bigger wheels or tires on your MU-7?

I did on my Primo Super Platinum October 2009.

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4164_a.jpg

Edited by aidenai

I did on my Primo Super Platinum October 2009.

IMG_4167.jpg

IMG_4164_a.jpg

Your car should be every MU-7 lover's pin-up poster - Sweet!!

Have you done a brake upgrade (larger caliper, rotor) to accommodate the increase tire and wheel size?

If not, have you noticed any difference in your braking performance?

Also, have you had any success with one of those diesel engine performance chips?

Edited by thailoht

Don't take offense, please, but for me in this day and age of trying to make things look pleasing to the eye and capture the sales, the MU7 is dam_n ugly, looks like a 60's Ford Transit. When l think they had a blank canvas with the restrictions of using truck stuff theres nothing modern or pleasing to the eye.

But, of course it's what the user wants from it and perhaps looks don't matter. Although l am not a fan of Mitsu, the Pajero is a step in the right direction for producing a nice looking SUV. Just my thoughts smile.gif .

The other day as I was driving, the car in front of me was a Mitzu Pajero, in my view the back of the Pajero looks rather ugly, the back of the car is to high up the road and higher than the front, which gives the impression of a farm vehicle.

In addition, the front lights and the front grill are not stylish, moreover, the body frame narrows as it rises to the top (roof) thus in my view the Pajero does not look good, no elegance at all, but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, therefore some people might regard the car as beautiful and buy it

Your car should be every MU-7 lover's pin-up poster - Sweet!!

Thanks thailoht. smile.gif

Have you done a brake upgrade (larger caliper, rotor) to accommodate the increase tire and wheel size?

If not, have you noticed any difference in your braking performance?

No upgrade as of yet but this thread made me think.

Last November we drove from Phetchaburi to Chiang Rai, the border places including Mae Sai, Chiang Mai, Doi Inthanon, Chiang Mai, Pai, Mae Hong Son, Mae Sariang, Mae Sot (along the Myanmar border), Tak and to Phetchaburi again. 3,100 km in 9 days in all. Some of you might know the kinds of roads doing that trip. Great ride. Good braking and good road adhesion.

I don't have a comparison. The car was delivered with these wheels upon order. Before the MU-7 I had a 2007 Isuzu D-Max 4WD and before that a 2003 Isuzu D-Max 4WD. It breaks well and drives well. Sometimes the tyres touch the inside fenders though. It's a 2x1 cm plastic part that has to be cut away.

Also, have you had any success with one of those diesel engine performance chips?

I go to work by motor cycle or bicycle. Often the car isn't driven for 3-5 weeks. If I drive, I drive in general between 90 km/h and 120 km/h. I'm not a performance driver.

I take it easy while driving. I've extended the Kenwood with two amplifiers, an equaliser and a subwoofer tailor-made for the MU-7. New sets of loudspeaker will be installed when I have my birthday. If we have to drive, I like to stay in the car as long as possible to listen the music. biggrin.gif

IMG_4513.jpg

IMG_4514.jpg

IMG_4515.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

Edited by aidenai

Last November we drove from Phetchaburi to Chiang Rai, the border places including Mae Sai, Chiang Mai, Doi Inthanon, Chiang Mai, Pai, Mae Hong Son, Mae Sariang, Mae Sot (along the Myanmar border), Tak and to Phetchaburi again. 3,100 km in 9 days in all. Some of you might know the kinds of roads doing that trip. Great ride. Good braking and good road adhesion.

How were the roads in the mountains? Are there an adequate number of petrol stations along the back mountain roads up there?

........I've extended the Kenwood with two amplifiers, an equalizer and a sub woofer tailor-made for the MU-7. New sets of loudspeaker will be installed when I have my birthday. If we have to drive, I like to stay in the car as long as possible to listen the music.

biggrin.gif

That subwoofer box looks cool! But doesn't a subwoofer box like that come with the MU-7 Platinum? Is your factory sound system setup different from that of the 2010 factory sound system setup? Is your new set of loudspeaker going to replace the one in the subwoofer box pictured below?

IMG_4517.jpg

Hey Kasmax......welcome to the club!

After pining over the MU-7 for months, I, too, am just about ready to put in my order for a MU-7.

As MoonRiverOasis says, car selection will boil down to your personal tastes and what your overall purpose for the car will be. You will have to make a <i>Pros and Cons</i> list of the car's characteristics and decide from there.

TIT: Car selection here as well as features and options, not to mention color selection, leave a lot to be desired from the Ex-pat point-of-view.

But working with the choices we have, and this is the <i>type</i> of SUV you are looking for, the MU-7 Activo Platinum is the 'overall' winner.

So, all-in-all, the MU-7 is the lowest priced SUV with the best features of all the rivals in its class.....hands down!

The only modification other than widow film that I will have done as soon as I pickup my MU-7 is to install 17" or 18" wheels with Michelin Latitude tires - that will make it one real nice smooth riding SUV! (The 16" mfr wheels + the average rated 'Dueler' tires that come with the MU-7 take away from its 'ride' capability).

You can order tint to be fitted at the factory when the SUV is being built. That is how mine (MU-7 Activo Gold) came; mind you I also got it with most of the bells and whistles. They are very quiet inside (well mine is) and not overly noisy on the outside. Get the reversing camera incorporated with the Kenwood Touchscreen stareo, better than some ugly mirror hanging of the back. I'm pretty happy with the ride, so I'm sticking with the 16" wheels. Also Isuzu's after sales service has been excellent. They've always looked after us. The only issue I havd with the car wheh I first bought it, was that the Intercooler rubber boot that seals to the bonnet, was distorted. It got replaced and no dramas since.

.........but, of course it's what the user wants from it and perhaps looks don't matter. Although l am not a fan of Mitsu, the Pajero is a step in the right direction for producing a nice looking SUV. Just my thoughts smile.gif .

Looks are so subjective. If I were to choose strictly on looks, I would definitely rate the Pajero (along with the Captiva) the best looking SUV's followed by the Fortuner. I give the MU-7 credit for at just being able to 'show up' in such a beauty contest, but it does hang in there, IMHO

You are right, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, absolutely.

My thoughts on SUV's in general, fun, go anywhere transport that tick all the boxes for it's task. Fortuner, perhaps people are fed up with looking at them cos they are everywhere, Pajero, new kid on the block, but looks a fun ride......I don't own an SUV but for sure if l were looking for one, MU7 would not be on my list, because it looks awful and is low spec, has no trans cooling system (perhaps they have fixed that ), unless it was to take me to A & E.

Lastly, l read guys are buying this fairly expensive MU7 then spending more money on it to bring it up to spec, something Isuzu should have done to keep up with the competition.

It's so hard to find one vehicle that will have all the options that we expect, especially here in LOS, so balancing mfr price with the cost of after market add-ons in order to create the vehicle you wanted in the first place is the game we play.

I tell a lie, sorry, the MU7 bonnet (hood) scoop is the nuts, wish l had it on the Vigo. :)

Yes!!! I knew you would come around....even if it is slowly but surely!! :-)

It's so hard to find one vehicle that will have all the options that we expect, especially here in LOS, so balancing mfr price with the cost of after market add-ons in order to create the vehicle you wanted in the first place is the game we play.

Spot-on, they're all a compromise in one way or another - otherwise the decision would be simple wink.gif

I like them all (Fortuner, MU-7 and PJS), and all for different reasons. I can appreciate why someone would choose any one of them, and no matter what you choose you're guaranteed of getting a whole lot of good vehicle for your money.

Don't get me started on the X-Trail (really, what the F were they thinking?), the CR-V (comments witheld as they'd surely offend), or the Captiva (Nice car, but if you knew what GM TH customer support was like you'd never buy one) though :)

Don't take offense, please, but for me in this day and age of trying to make things look pleasing to the eye and capture the sales, the MU7 is dam_n ugly, looks like a 60's Ford Transit. When l think they had a blank canvas with the restrictions of using truck stuff theres nothing modern or pleasing to the eye.

But, of course it's what the user wants from it and perhaps looks don't matter. Although l am not a fan of Mitsu, the Pajero is a step in the right direction for producing a nice looking SUV. Just my thoughts smile.gif .

The other day as I was driving, the car in front of me was a Mitzu Pajero, in my view the back of the Pajero looks rather ugly, the back of the car is to high up the road and higher than the front, which gives the impression of a farm vehicle.

In addition, the front lights and the front grill are not stylish, moreover, the body frame narrows as it rises to the top (roof) thus in my view the Pajero does not look good, no elegance at all, but of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, therefore some people might regard the car as beautiful and buy it

You are right, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, absolutely.

My thoughts on SUV's in general, fun, go anywhere transport that tick all the boxes for it's task. Fortuner, perhaps people are fed up with looking at them cos they are everywhere, Pajero, new kid on the block, but looks a fun ride, you talk about high at the back, body narrows etc, but can't you see thats why it doesn't look like an MU7, doesn't look like a slab. You talk about Pajero lights are not stylish, please look at the above pictures of an MU7 and point out what if anything is stylish in the design.

Pajero is different, looks like it means business and fun, where as a white MU7 looks like its on its way to hospital with a customer.

I don't own an SUV but for sure if l were looking for one, MU7 would not be on my list, because it looks awful and is low spec, has no trans cooling system (perhaps they have fixed that ), unless it was to take me to A & E.

Lastly, l read guys are buying this fairly expensive MU7 then spending more money on it to bring it up to spec, something Isuzu should have done to keep up with the competition.

Sorry you guys who own an MU7, just a reply with my thoughts.:)

I tell a lie, sorry, the MU7 bonnet (hood) scoop is the nuts, wish l had it on the Vigo. :D

I looked at the MU7 today, and I agree, it does look like an ambulance, well, perhaps MU7 owners purchase the car in order to providers of a private ambulance service,

Who knows, Hmmm ... Sorry chaps.

I looked at the MU7 today, and I agree, it does look like an ambulance, well, perhaps MU7 owners purchase the car in order to providers of a private ambulance service,

Who knows, Hmmm ... Sorry chaps.

You forgot to tell us your address rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (thailoht @ 2010-06-06 00:35:08)

Also, with the MU-7 brakes not being the largest in its class, I might as well go ahead and install a better set of calipers and rotors (no master cylinder or change to rear brake shoes required?) Can anyone give me some recommendations for this job?

Can do smile.gif The most popular brake upgrade kits in TH are the Runstop brand form BJ Motor Parts, and are stocked by pretty much every grease monkey in the country.

Front upgrade: B.J. Motor Parts Co., Ltd

Rear Disc Upgrade: B.J. Motor Parts Co., Ltd

only jesting. :)

....in addition, (and to help keep TransAm focusedrolleyes.gif), I was under the (mistaken?) impression that changing the tire diameter size greater than 3% of the diameter of the original tire would risk brake failure, but on second thought, aren't the purpose of brakes to stop the weight of the car? If that is so, under the normal everyday driving conditions, would not the mfr equipped brakes be adequate enough for the vehicle that they are installed on regardless of the wheel / tire size as long as it fits the vehicle - the MU-7 in particular? So under 'normal everyday driving conditions', wouldn't the mfr brakes suffice?

Would the increase in tire size that I am considering somehow adversely affect the MU-7's computerized fuel mixture ratios which were factory programmed to the 245/70R-16" tire size - or am I reading too much into this?

Also, can one those K&N (CAI) cone shaped air filters be easily fitted onto a 3.0 Isuzu engine? Would it boost the performance of the engine?

Edited by thailoht

I was under the (mistaken?) impression that changing the tire diameter size greater than 3% of the diameter of the original tire would risk brake failure

The biggest risk is actually drivetrain related - primarily bearings, rod-ends that sort of thing - all of which are non-issues for these pickup-based PPV's being discussed. Brakes would be way down the bottom of my list of concerns.

Would the increase in tire size that I am considering somehow adversely affect the MU-7's computerized fuel mixture ratios which were factory programmed to the 245/70R-16" tire size - or am I reading too much into this?

Yes, you're reading wayyy too much into it :)

Also, can one those K&N (CAI) cone shaped air filters be easily fitted onto a 3.0 Isuzu engine? Would it boost the performance of the engine?

As a solo upgrade, very minimal (maybe 5-10 HP at best - not enough to be truly noticable). In conjuction with other upgrades such as increased boost, freer flowing exhaust etc it will get to the point where it's a pretty much a required upgrade though.

I was under the (mistaken?) impression that changing the tire diameter size greater than 3% of the diameter of the original tire would risk brake failure.

Now I'm remembering: I read something about ABS computers are programmed to function +/- 3% of the factory tires overall diameter. The 265/65R-17 would be +3.47% greater than the overall diameter of the factory tires and the 265/60R-18 would be +3.32% greater.

Do you know whether or not the (+/-) 3% ABS rule is valid?

When we put a X-pipe (cross over pipe) and a K&N (CAI) cone shaped air filter on our 3.0 petrol performance engine back home, that was all the kick I needed in a car! Stepping on the accelerator glued everyone's backs to their seats!! I hope I can get that kind of power from a chipped 3.0 Isuzu!

will be collecting on the 16, hopefully. its the Super Platinum Activo 4x4 model. Can't wait.

...I can hardly wait for Kasmax to post his opinion about his new MU-7. He probably just picked it up at the dealer and is driving it at this very moment! :-)

Edited by thailoht

Now I'm remembering: I read something about ABS computers are programmed to function +/- 3% of the factory tires overall diameter. The 265/65R-17 would be +3.47% greater than the overall diameter of the factory tires and the 265/60R-18 would be +3.32% greater.

Izu is using a rather old 3 sensor ABS with low frequense, so changing the wheelsize will not affect it at all. An experinced driver will be able to stop this vehicle on ice or snow much more efficient than this ABS system does. I know, I have tryed. A friend is importing and selling DMax as ambulances in my homecountry. Most drivers disconnect this ABS. They are pushing Izu hard to bring ABS up to date on next gen to be launched 2011.

Izu is using a rather old 3 sensor ABS with low frequency, so changing the wheel size will not affect it at all. An experienced driver will be able to stop this vehicle on ice or snow much more efficient than this ABS system does. I know, I have tryed. A friend is importing and selling DMax as ambulances in my home country. Most drivers disconnect this ABS. They are pushing Izu hard to bring ABS up to date on next gen to be launched 2011.

Thanks for that ABS tip! What is the easiest way to disconnect the ABS sensor w/o setting off the dashboard ABS fault lights, is it as simple as removing (unbolting) the actual little sensing piece from the rotor area?

Also, can you clear up this point: Do you know that Isuzu will be launching their 'next generation' models in the 2011 model year - due to release this Nov-Dec(?) or are the 'next generation' models scheduled to be actually released during the year of 2011 itself? Is this a certainty? Is there any info about model changes? Can you direct me to any information about this?

Maybe I'm becoming old, but I don't feel the need to modify so much my car.

I'm keeping like the original, no glass film too :D.

for my personal use, MU7 is far more what I need in terms of speed, fuel consumption, safety, soundness. :)

Izu is using a rather old 3 sensor ABS with low frequense, so changing the wheelsize will not affect it at all. An experinced driver will be able to stop this vehicle on ice or snow much more efficient than this ABS system does. I know, I have tryed. A friend is importing and selling DMax as ambulances in my homecountry. Most drivers disconnect this ABS. They are pushing Izu hard to bring ABS up to date on next gen to be launched 2011.

Thanks for the info, katabeachbum. I really don't know whether the ABS-system in my D-MAX 2003, D-MAX 2007 Gold Series or MU-7 Super Platinum 2009 worked/ works or not.

Could it be my driving style or am I just lucky? :)

Also, can you clear up this point: Do you know that Isuzu will be launching their 'next generation' models in the 2011 model year - due to release this Nov-Dec(?) or are the 'next generation' models scheduled to be actually released during the year of 2011 itself? Is this a certainty? Is there any info about model changes? Can you direct me to any information about this?

New Cars Market In Thailand For 2010 And Beyond.. - Thailand Forum

:D

Note that unlike Americans, a Thai MY matches a Gregorian calendar year, so MY2011 means 2011, not 2010 or late 2009 :)

Edit 2: I should probably add to that thread or start a new one, because I have quite a bit of new/updated info.. Like the fact that the new Isuzu's will be made by GM this time around, and more details on the new gen of diesel engines etc. I'll update it one day when I'm bored :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Izu is using a rather old 3 sensor ABS with low frequency, so changing the wheel size will not affect it at all. An experienced driver will be able to stop this vehicle on ice or snow much more efficient than this ABS system does. I know, I have tryed. A friend is importing and selling DMax as ambulances in my home country. Most drivers disconnect this ABS. They are pushing Izu hard to bring ABS up to date on next gen to be launched 2011.

Thanks for that ABS tip! What is the easiest way to disconnect the ABS sensor w/o setting off the dashboard ABS fault lights, is it as simple as removing (unbolting) the actual little sensing piece from the rotor area?

But why would you want to disconnect the ABS on your new ride. Perhaps behind the times but it works. My 20 year old Volvo had ABS and worked OK, did stuff that got me out of trouble a couple of times.

Volvos Bosch ABS 20 years ago was more advanced than any LOS pickup/SUV ABS today. Approx double the frequensy of the best LOS trucks, thats Mitsu and Toyota after Nov 2008. Volvo has never used a 3 sensor ABS like Isu is using, and I belive Bosch has never supplied a 3 sensor system, at least not for European made vehicles. It was "invented" by yanks to save money.

Any disconnection of ABS set off the warning light on dash. Most easy way to disconnect is to remove fuse.

For most drivers even a dated ABS is safer than no ABS, it usually keeps vehicle on the road even in curves nomatter how you treat your brakes.

Thanks for the info, katabeachbum. I really don't know whether the ABS-system in my D-MAX 2003, D-MAX 2007 Gold Series or MU-7 Super Platinum 2009 worked/ works or not.

Could it be my driving style or am I just lucky? :)

:jap:Both I guess.

Even driving slowly, on wet roads a kid jumping out in front of you, most drivers react by braking and steering to avoid the kid. All ABS systems allows steering while braking.

More advanced ABS stops vehicle on shorter distance. saves life.

Most drivers apply to little power to brake pedal when panic braking, espesially women, so to improve the efficiensy of ABS braking aid has been introduced. It employes max braking power on your pedal when it senses driver brakes harder/faster than usual. As an experinced driver I hated it on my 2008 Accord 2,4. I prefere to control the brakes myself.

Well, the dealer told me they can only deliver to me next month unless i want other colour. Looks like i have to wait.:)

Unless you're special-ordering hot flourescent pink or something like that, a few phone calls to other dealers would probably find you the car you want in-stock..

But why would you want to disconnect the ABS on your new ride. Perhaps behind the times but it works. My 20 year old Volvo had ABS and worked OK, did stuff that got me out of trouble a couple of times.

Volvos Bosch ABS 20 years ago was more advanced than any LOS pickup/SUV ABS today. Approx double the frequensy of the best LOS trucks, thats Mitsu and Toyota after Nov 2008. Volvo has never used a 3 sensor ABS like Isu is using, and I belive Bosch has never supplied a 3 sensor system, at least not for European made vehicles. It was "invented" by yanks to save money.

Any disconnection of ABS set off the warning light on dash. Most easy way to disconnect is to remove fuse.

For most drivers even a dated ABS is safer than no ABS, it usually keeps vehicle on the road even in curves nomatter how you treat your brakes.

Yeah guys, I think it may not have been a too wise suggestion (and for the wrong reason) to disconnect the ABS system, even if it is a generation or two behind the times - the thought of negotiating some of the curves in the mountains of LOS helped bring me back to my senses.

......can't wait for the uncertainty of the 'new generation' 2012 MU-7 models - will have to bite on a 2010 model.

Has anyone seen Kasmax? Has he returned yet from taking his new car out for its 'maiden' spin?

Edited by thailoht