Which Tv For Xbox360

mucker

I'm going to invest in a big TV in July, the bigger the better. What I'd like to know is what are you using, what do you recommend?

What I'm thinking is a 50" LCD. I've heard plasma tellies suffer from screen burn easier than LCDs, and I've no idea about these new fangled LEDs.

Panasonic, Phillips, Samsung, LG, Sony, do any of these brands work especially well with an xbox?

Thanks for any replies.

I actually find that for gaming if the television is to large then it is actually harder to play and does not look as crisp. I would say a 32" is ideal playing size but a 50" would be fun as well. For brands I suggest a nice lcd flatscreen with HD hook-ups. My favorite brands (brands I use for xbox that work well) are the Westinghouse and as quicksilva said, Samsung.

I actually have a quick question for you...I will be in Thailand this coming Fall. Are Xbox 360 games widely available? Especially newer ones? If you have Xbox Live add me...my two gamertags are Q4W and Sniiipey.

For Battlefield and similar games - bigger the better. For enemies at long distance, the quicker you see them, the better - larger screens help.

My brother in law has a room kitted out with a big projector - i think 2.5m to 3m across makes a big diff ( i am on 61" which is good, but does not compare ).

Down side, get giddy from the big projector

For Battlefield and similar games - bigger the better. For enemies at long distance, the quicker you see them, the better - larger screens help.

My brother in law has a room kitted out with a big projector - i think 2.5m to 3m across makes a big diff ( i am on 61" which is good, but does not compare ).

Thanks Patriots, but I gotta agree with skippybangkok for this one. Maybe it's slightly more difficult initially because of the size, but I think you can adjust rapidly to the difference in scale.

If the screen is bigger then the characters and backgrounds are bigger, movement will be more apparent I think. Just gotta make sure I'm the right distance away from the screen.

I do think your LCD flatscreen suggestion is the way forward. Can you give me more info on these westinghouse TVs, what makes them good? (I'm gonna google them of course)

I think you can get some new games, just gotta find the game shops. Playstation games are more widely played because of the initial difficulties with the RROD.

I've not been back in a year but there did seem to be a wide selection of legitimate and copied games. Unfortunately I'm not on xbox live, my console is chipped.

Skippy, I just got battlefield bad company 2, started playing and was kinda shocked at the destructible environments.

Standing at a window shooting one moment and then the freakin' window and wall are just gone!!!

Awesome game. Gonna wait till I get back and get the big telly before I play it again.

Thanks Patriots, but I gotta agree with skippybangkok for this one. Maybe it's slightly more difficult initially because of the size, but I think you can adjust rapidly to the difference in scale.

If the screen is bigger then the characters and backgrounds are bigger, movement will be more apparent I think. Just gotta make sure I'm the right distance away from the screen.

I do think your LCD flatscreen suggestion is the way forward. Can you give me more info on these westinghouse TVs, what makes them good? (I'm gonna google them of course)

I think you can get some new games, just gotta find the game shops. Playstation games are more widely played because of the initial difficulties with the RROD.

I've not been back in a year but there did seem to be a wide selection of legitimate and copied games. Unfortunately I'm not on xbox live, my console is chipped.

Skippy, I just got battlefield bad company 2, started playing and was kinda shocked at the destructible environments.

Standing at a window shooting one moment and then the freakin' window and wall are just gone!!!

Awesome game. Gonna wait till I get back and get the big telly before I play it again.

Yeh, i only have that game. Pretty Addictive - add me as friend ColTinkyWinky ( theory was, nothing worse than getting nailed in BF2 by a Teletubby :) )

You should still add me :) Sniipey/Q4W

I like Westinghouse because I just find them to be of high quality and great video output. For games they are crisp and the sound on them is phenomenal. You may hear of some people using "Turtle Beach Headsets" to hear peoples footsteps, well the Westinghouse lets you hear them just as well. I love the brand TV.

And yes, BC2 is amazing.

You should still add me :) Sniipey/Q4W

I like Westinghouse because I just find them to be of high quality and great video output. For games they are crisp and the sound on them is phenomenal. You may hear of some people using "Turtle Beach Headsets" to hear peoples footsteps, well the Westinghouse lets you hear them just as well. I love the brand TV.

And yes, BC2 is amazing.

Where can I find the westinghouse TVs in Bangkok, and what would I expect to pay for a 50"?

I still live in the US. I leave for Thailand this coming August. I believe a Westinghouse would be readily available in Thailand. How much are you looking to spend? I believe that a 42" goes for around $700 so a 50" might be slightly more.

I pride myself in my gaming set up, so here it is:

Optoma HD20 projected on a 92" screen

Klipsch Quintet series III

Marantz NR1501 HD A/V receiver

I use the screen as my computer screen as well. Operate everything from an L-couch. Gotta love wireless. :)

I use the screen as my computer screen as well. Operate everything from an L-couch. Gotta love wireless. :)

Hubba Hubba...... can i come play?

I use the screen as my computer screen as well. Operate everything from an L-couch. Gotta love wireless.

Excellant set up. Kind of thing I might have in ten years, well done.

Thanks guys. I didn't get it all at once, naturally. Projector first, though purchased in the US, cost roughly 32,000. I believe the sound system and receiver cost 38,000 so in total roughly 70,000. I know people who paid more for their LCD tv's so I usually don't feel like a huge spender anyway. I had an SDTV up until recently, and have been looking to upgrade to an HDTV for something like 5 years now, though they were always totally affordable for me (back then). I finally just bit the bullet end of last year and it was totally worth it! Full HD gaming really makes a huge difference.

I don't think you'll find Westinghouse outside of North America. (never seen them in Europe or Asia).

For gaming you want a high refresh rate, and it's the one source readily available in Thailand where I'd recommend getting a 1920x1080 Full HD screen rather than a 1366x768 - even if the latter is a few inches larger.

TVs larger than 50" are very expensive here compared to the US/Europe probably because of lower competition between vendors here.

PS. LED TVs that you can buy at large sizes are really just LCD TVs using LEDs for the backlighting. (There are actual OLED TVs from Sony but they're only in small screen sizes and cost a fortune and I've never seen one in Thailand).

Edited by bkk_mike

I think you'll want to make sure that the model has a good response time, although as to what is a noticeable lag time seems to vary.

This site is in Italian, but have done a recent TV test - if you go to the bottom of the page you should see links to the results. Pana's do very well overall.

Note that a few of the TVs on there are not FullHD and may not fit other criteria you have for your telly so further investigation is called for from there.

DDay 2010 Game TV Test