Motorcycle Parts Import Shipping

kirky

Dear all,

i know about all the usual ups and downs of shipping into thailand. However if i was shipping some items ie. gearing, levers etc... who would you recommend as the best shipper out of DHL or UPS? my past dealings with DHL were not good in the past, as they tried to heavily duty my used clothes when i first moved here....so they left a bitter taste in my mouth

The seller of the items is quite aware of the procedure in Thailand too so he will mark the items down as used motorcycle parts and reduce the invoice. I think i read many times that UPS was the easiest to deal with, but i cant find the topics in search. Also would an address in Thai script be better?

i know that this is indeed a lottery but some of these items are far far too expensive here and on this occasion i don't have anybody that can get it in there suitcase!

regards

Tom

Tom. USPS is the best way of getting stuff from the US. The post office is always the best way because they do not have to get it delivered extra quick.

Sorry forgot to mention the origin is the UK. i did send some bicycles through Royal Mail in the big huge bike boxes to Thailand , they didnt occur any taxes whatsoever?? So maybe ill give that a try again.

T would try the Thai script avenue, but don't forget that if Customs have to see the addressee,

the addressee has to identify him or herself in person.

Say you value the item/s at $40.00 and postage is $200. It may ring a bell somewhere! :)

Good luck. :D

I've ordered many items bought from various internet vendors and delivered by USPS (NOT UPS!) and Thai mail such as brake levers, clutch slave, windscreen, bar ends, seats, top triple etc.

Firstly, never use UPS, FEDEX or DHL. You will incur high customs duties when using these carriers. From the US, always use USPS and from the UK, Royal Mail.

If the item is registered (advisable), you will receive a pink collection slip in your mail box to collect it from your local post office. This is done if the parcel is too large for the postman, if any duty needs to be paid at the office or you were out at time of delivery. If the parcel is small (and the postman knows you'll be home), he'll deliver it.

The only times I've had to pay customs duty were on large parcels such as leather jackets and helmets or if the vendor used a private carrier when I assumed USPS.

Edited by RusticCharm

Thanks for all your replys! I will get the item shipped to family first in the UK then reposted via royal mail! I will even save on postage costs too as volume metric weight via the couriers is a sting!