General World Cup Discussion Thread

sharecropper

Reigning World Champs Italy have now drawn both their two opening games, against Paraguay and New Zealand. Wonder if they are being booed by their fans?

Well, Italy did draw all the group matches in 1982 against Cameroon, Peru and Poland. Who won the WC on that year???

Never rule out the Italian team till they are really out.

In '82 that was a decent team. Nowadays (including the last WC) they are just a bunch of pathetic divers.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

italy teams used to have at least a little bit of flair and one or two really good finishers. they're pretty boring these days.

Totally agree with you.

Football is pretty boring these day as coaches put out a winning team, it doesn't matter if it's done with nice football or not. A good example is Mourinho's team ( Inter Milan ) who did play a boring but very succesful football this year.

just when things couldnt get any worse for France...

halftime FRA 0- 2 RSA

love to know what is being said in the French team HQ at halftime,& I wonder if they will come out for the 2nd!! :D

just when things couldnt get any worse for France...

halftime FRA 0- 2 RSA

love to know what is being said in the French team HQ at halftime,& I wonder if they will come out for the 2nd!! :D

I was thinking the same mate. could be interesting if SA and Uruguay score another goal.

Cheers, Rick

However, they lost the match and what little self-respect they had went south when their manager refused to shake hands at the end of the game.............

Yeah I saw that also, its like being at school again. Good grief, get a grip. What a tosser!

post-108506-062710900 1277223463_thumb.jpost-108506-080021800 1277223613_thumb.j

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE:

FRANCE WORLD CUP SQUADS 1978 versus 2010

oh and by the way, that's not the french 2010 world cup squad. 6 of the players are not in the 2010 world cup squad, 5 of them having retired. but well done all the same.

Oh and by the way - the picture on the left is the Italian team!

Well spotted....thought that looked like Dino Zoff!

So, how many others can we all name? I'll start with Tardelli and I think Gentile.

So, how many others can we all name? I'll start with Tardelli and I think Gentile.

paolo rossi second from left in the front row. roberto bettega second from right back row. marco tardelli front row furthest right.

Who will qualify in Group C. Can England make a come back?

Cheers, Rick

thought england and the US would qualify from this group at the start and still do. US could well top the group though.

I think they will top the group and i relly don't fancy England to beat the brussel sprouts, do you?

Front row, second from left - Paolo Rossi

Front row, second from left - Paolo Rossi

Too slow - Mr Stevie beat me to it

Cheers, Rick

thought england and the US would qualify from this group at the start and still do. US could well top the group though.

I think they will top the group and i relly don't fancy England to beat the brussel sprouts, do you?

i do for some odd reason. i've done one of those predictions league things and i've got england to beat germany in the second round in it. england usually start tournaments badly, have some kind of controversy or squad implosion, then get their shit together for a couple of games and lose in the quarter-finals to a better team, which is about par for them. that said they couldn't have asked for a nicer potential route to the semi-finals this year.

Cheers, Rick

I hope that you are right, it would be a tragedy not to get through the group stage. I just hope that England go out and fight like the 3 lions on their shirts.

Cheers, Rick

Cheers, Rick

i do for some odd reason. i've done one of those predictions league things and i've got england to beat germany in the second round in it. england usually start tournaments badly, have some kind of controversy or squad implosion, then get their shit together for a couple of games and lose in the quarter-finals to a better team, which is about par for them. that said they couldn't have asked for a nicer potential route to the semi-finals this year.

Come to think of it, want you are saying does have a familar ring to it!!

I'm very interested to see if Capello picks Joe Cole. I'm wondering whether Terry's comments on the subject might have a detrimental effect on Cole's selection. I, for one think he should be starting.

Come to think of it, want you are saying does have a familar ring to it!!

I'm very interested to see if Capello picks Joe Cole. I'm wondering whether Terry's comments on the subject might have a detrimental effect on Cole's selection. I, for one think he should be starting.

i think if john terry wants joe cole in the side so badly then capello should drop terry and play cole at centre back. :)