Briton Jeff Savage Freed By Thai Court

webfact

Briton released after serving jail term of one and half months

BANGKOK: -- Briton Jeff Savage, 48, Thursday pleaded guilty to the charge of violating the state of emergency.

He pleaded guilty to the Criminal Court, which initially sentenced him to three months in jail.

The court commuted the penalty by half after he pleaded guilty.

Since he has been being detained in the Bangkok Remand Prison for one and a half months, the court ordered his release.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-08

related video

Briton Jeff Savage threatens to loot and burn down Central World mall in Bangkok

related topics:

• Like 1

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was nice... Anyone else who thinks that it was way too nice and that double would have been more appropriate?

Bye Bye, off you go, nice to see you (almost) even nicer to never see you again

Edited by MikeyIdea

That was nice... Anyone else who thinks that it was way too nice and that double would have been more appropriate?

I think it was a fair sentence. We didn't see him actually burning down Bangkok and maybe the court took into consideration that he will not be allowed to live in Thailand with his family.

British 'Red Shirt' to be released from Thai prison: lawyer

BANGKOK (AFP) -- A Briton who was arrested for joining violent "Red Shirt" street protests in Thailand will be freed Thursday after pleading guilty to violating a state of emergency, his lawyer said.

Jeff Savage was given six weeks in prison but will be released because he has already served his term, said the lawyer, Prachaya Vijitpokin.

"The court found him guilty and sentenced him to three months in jail but due to his confession the sentence was reduced by half," Prachaya told AFP.

He will be taken to the immigration authorities and is expected to be deported because he has overstayed his visa, he said.

Savage, who used to work for Queen Elizabeth II's royal household in Britain, was arrested in May and charged with breaching emergency law, an offence which carries a penalty of up to two years' imprisonment.

He was accused by the Thai government of inciting protesters to set fire to a major shopping mall, Central World.

He was seen on a video clip saying of Central World: "We're going to loot everything, gold, watches, everything, and then we're gonna burn it to the ground."

The two-month-long opposition protest in central Bangkok descended into several outbreaks of violence that left 90 people dead since mid-March, mostly civilians, and nearly 1,900 injured.

After a bloody army crackdown ended the rally in May, hardcore demonstrators set dozens of buildings ablaze including the stock exchange and Central World, which now stands in ruins.

The authorities have used their emergency powers to arrest hundreds of suspects, including most top Red Shirt leaders.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-07-08

While I don't condone his actions he was an easy target for the authorities.

I saw numerous incidents on the news of Thai's burning tires (many in front of policemen). Surely these incidents are far worse than an idiot mouthing off ?

Yes they certainly are, but they are done by home grown idiots.

No nation should have to put up with imports doing the same.

While I don't condone his actions he was an easy target for the authorities.

I saw numerous incidents on the news of Thai's burning tires (many in front of policemen). Surely these incidents are far worse than an idiot mouthing off ?

If only England would listen to such advice.

He did say he didnt think he'd get a fair trial which is probably correct aswell, but as someone who cant vote he shouldnt have been there in the first place.

Great, so we get the moron back in blighty, no doubt straight down the social to sign on, prob be able to claim sick for mental probs.

Not to mention selling his story to a tabloid rag. <_<

If he is blacklisted he can never return to Thailand. Considering he has got his family here, that's as good as prison.

I feel sorry both for him and his family. Lifechanging stuff. &lt;deleted&gt;**, there's a bunch of sleepless nights right there...

With all the crap that went on at the time, he certainly was a convenient distraction.

I remember how angry some locals were with him, and I was thinking 'you're missing the bigger picture'. Most of these people who were so mad have forgotten all about it.

Like I said at the time, "don't worry about him, let the authorities do what they deem necessary'. Worry about what's really going on in this country.

Edited by rkidlad

On the other hand, if he has kids, he wil want to bring them along with his wife to England. Presuming the kifs are in school and grew up in Isaan, they will now pay the prize for this by losing their entire universe, effectively paying the prize for daddy's stupidity.

With this in mind, if I was the judge I'd grant the idiot one more chance to remain in Thailand.

Use to work for the British Royal household :blink:

Warnings were given by the authorities that any foreigner found taking part in the demos would be dealt with.

Best place for him,, back in England. Lets hope he stays there.

On the other hand, if he has kids, he wil want to bring them along with his wife to England. Presuming the kifs are in school and grew up in Isaan, they will now pay the prize for this by losing their entire universe, effectively paying the prize for daddy's stupidity.

With this in mind, if I was the judge I'd grant the idiot one more chance to remain in Thailand.

It is not up to the judge, it is an automatic consequence of being convicted.

Surely these incidents are far worse than an idiot mouthing off ?

Nonsense. All idiots, foreign and domestic, should be equally free to demonstrate their idiocy.

Like in my country, where we let all the idiots (even the foreign ones) run around and say whatever they want.

Do you realize how boring places like North Dakota would become if we outlawed instances of stupidity?

If I were a child, then I'd be better off without a father like that. Thai law of course supports that a (legal) father having his visitation rights removed still must pay for his child. Up to the fathers morale if he continues to pay for what he has created after being made persona non grata due to his own actions.

Having children is not a valid reason for letting a convicted criminal stay

This is all hypothetically, I have no idea if Jeff has kids