How To Disinfect An Air/Con Unit ?

banglay

Hi .

I have been getting chest and throat infections recently and I believe to may be my A/C in the bedroom that is the culprit,I would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice on how to disinfect my A/C( it is a Samsumg wall mounted unit with the compressor out side ) I clean and Vac the filters in the bedroom unit regularly and spray wash the compressor fins outside every 3/4 months or so and I was wondering if there is anything else I could do to disinfect and kill any nasties moulds etc????

Cheers .

Edited by banglay

THIS SHOULD BE PERFORMED ONLY BY A SKILLED TECH! MANY PRECAUTIONS HAVE TO BE TAKEN INCLUDING TURING OFF POWER, REMOVING CERTAIN PARTS OF THE LOUVER DRIVE UNIT AND COVERING THE ELECTRIC CIRCUIT BOARD AN ITS PARTS . There is a chemical on the market that is sprayed into the inside unit on the coils, let it soak for about 10 minutes and then it is power washed off. Normally a simple shower curtain is draped around the unit and the dirt and water is funneled into a big trash can / bucket. This should be performed at least every 6 months. A complete cleaning normally runs about 400-500baht, well worth the correctly performed procedure. I have experienced some fly by night crews that give it a "10 minute" clean which makes it worse than when they started. A good, complete cleaning should take about 2 hours and then air blown dry. Hope this helps!

Also consider using 3M brand Filtrete air-con filters (generally sold in the air-con section or the cleaning supplies area of the stores). These are very fine mesh material that you cut and fit onto the stock filters that came with your units. You will be amazed at how much more "crap" they filter out of the air. They will clog-up much quicker than the stock filters meaning that lots of the finer air pollutants were getting through before. Another benefit is that the units stay cleaner longer because much more stuff is kept from getting in in the first place.

Yoo might also consider getting one or more free-standing air-filtration units...and again, cover the stock filters with the Filtrete mesh.

I am assuming you are using an Air conditioning split system (one unit inside and one unit outside) system to just cool the room/s?

By the very nature of its operation when in cooling mode it will de-humidify (take out the moisture) of the air in the room, and also at the same time will de-humidify the moist parts of your body, your lips, nostrils/mouth/throat and eyes.

So for example your salava contains anti-bacterial agents, if your saliva is being de-humidified from your mouth especially when you are sleeping you may be more susceptable to bacteria infections because of this very fact.

However the answer to this issue is not very sophisticated in a domestic split air-conditioning system, the best way to prevent this de-humidification of your lips, eyes, mouth/nostrils/throat is to have a container with a large surface area such as a large dish full of water placed safely in the room out of harms way of pets and children.

You will have to periodically clean and top up the container with fresh water.

Commercial and industrial true air-conditioning systems do have humidifiers/de-humidifiers to maintain a comfort envelope of temperature AND humidity.

The water dish is your humidifier in the home.

Hope it helps.

Have you seen a doctor about your illness? I have been struggling with a similar problem for the last 2 weeks. It was diagnosed at BPH as 'acute bronchitis', and it is "going around". I have 2 friends here in Pattaya who have it, and one of them has 2 friends in BKK who have it.

Specifically, it began as a fever, with only an occasional minor cough. After about 10 days, the fever was defeated, but the cough had grown increasingly deep and persistent. This, despite being on medication from the doctor. Today, the frequency of the coughing is reduced, but it is still there; with occasional strong attacks that actually make me dizzy from the intensity of the coughing to loosen and relieve the phlegm.

If this is what you have, I don't think it's from your A/C. I think it is simply a infection that is currrently hitting this area. And, unfortunately, it looks like it's a tough one to defeat. I have the feeling that this irritating, persistent cough is going to be with me for some time!

Have you seen a doctor about your illness? I have been struggling with a similar problem for the last 2 weeks. It was diagnosed at BPH as 'acute bronchitis', and it is "going around". I have 2 friends here in Pattaya who have it, and one of them has 2 friends in BKK who have it.

Specifically, it began as a fever, with only an occasional minor cough. After about 10 days, the fever was defeated, but the cough had grown increasingly deep and persistent. This, despite being on medication from the doctor. Today, the frequency of the coughing is reduced, but it is still there; with occasional strong attacks that actually make me dizzy from the intensity of the coughing to loosen and relieve the phlegm.

If this is what you have, I don't think it's from your A/C. I think it is simply a infection that is currrently hitting this area. And, unfortunately, it looks like it's a tough one to defeat. I have the feeling that this irritating, persistent cough is going to be with me for some time!

You are as a doctor described recently to me a good host for chest infection (OK bronchitis),some people apparently are very suseptible to it and it does linger a long time before recovery Get a local infection and it bolts to the chest. Now if I feel I have any kind of upper respiratory infection I get a card of penicillin tablets from roadside pharmacy for 60 baht,within 2 days it is gone.

I had the same problem a few weeks back, went to clinic and guy said "just open your window a little, problem from aircon". so i tried it and presto my lungs are clear!

One night i forgot and i woke up coughing.

I am sure it could make your cooling costs go up but my electric is included in my 8K / month rent

I had another problem where some mosqitos were getting in my room somehow, but by cracking the window open i barely see one now, go figure

Your AC unit is a sealed unit. Nothing on the outside unit will enter the system and cause you problems. If you clean the inside filters regularly then I would say the problem lies not with the AC but with you. Go get a check up

You should have your A/C cleaned and serviced by a professional about once a month. It will lower your A/C costs to keep it clean. Usually you recover the cost of cleaning by a lower electric bill. I like like the method NumChai Electric does. They take the heat exchanger (the part in your room) apart and use a water spray cleaner to clean the coils, blower, and cavity.

You should open up the doors and windows daily to 'freshen' up the room for a couple of hours. I find in the morning after I wake up works best. You need fresh air circulation to prevent mildew and fungus in the room.

Keep you bedding clean. When you wash the bedding, place the pillows out in the direct sun for a few hours to 'freshen' them up.

Not a problem anymore.

If problems persist, by all means see a doctor.Insect bites in Thailand can also cause similar flu-like symptoms.

I am assuming you are using an Air conditioning split system (one unit inside and one unit outside) system to just cool the room/s?

By the very nature of its operation when in cooling mode it will de-humidify (take out the moisture) of the air in the room, and also at the same time will de-humidify the moist parts of your body, your lips, nostrils/mouth/throat and eyes.

So for example your salava contains anti-bacterial agents, if your saliva is being de-humidified from your mouth especially when you are sleeping you may be more susceptable to bacteria infections because of this very fact.

However the answer to this issue is not very sophisticated in a domestic split air-conditioning system, the best way to prevent this de-humidification of your lips, eyes, mouth/nostrils/throat is to have a container with a large surface area such as a large dish full of water placed safely in the room out of harms way of pets and children.

You will have to periodically clean and top up the container with fresh water.

Commercial and industrial true air-conditioning systems do have humidifiers/de-humidifiers to maintain a comfort envelope of temperature AND humidity.

The water dish is your humidifier in the home.

Hope it helps.

Stores like Big C and Lotus also sell home humidifiers.

You should have your A/C cleaned and serviced by a professional about once a month. It will lower your A/C costs to keep it clean. Usually you recover the cost of cleaning by a lower electric bill. I like like the method NumChai Electric does. They take the heat exchanger (the part in your room) apart and use a water spray cleaner to clean the coils, blower, and cavity.

You should open up the doors and windows daily to 'freshen' up the room for a couple of hours. I find in the morning after I wake up works best. You need fresh air circulation to prevent mildew and fungus in the room.

Keep you bedding clean. When you wash the bedding, place the pillows out in the direct sun for a few hours to 'freshen' them up.

Not a problem anymore.

If problems persist,

by all means see a doctor.Insect bites in Thailand can also cause similar flu-like symptoms.

Clean the A/C once per month????? 3 or 6 month intervals are more than sufficient!

THIS SHOULD BE PERFORMED ONLY BY A SKILLED TECH! MANY PRECAUTIONS HAVE TO BE TAKEN INCLUDING TURING OFF POWER, REMOVING CERTAIN PARTS OF THE LOUVER DRIVE UNIT AND COVERING THE ELECTRIC CIRCUIT BOARD AN ITS PARTS . There is a chemical on the market that is sprayed into the inside unit on the coils, let it soak for about 10 minutes and then it is power washed off. Normally a simple shower curtain is draped around the unit and the dirt and water is funneled into a big trash can / bucket. This should be performed at least every 6 months. A complete cleaning normally runs about 400-500baht, well worth the correctly performed procedure. I have experienced some fly by night crews that give it a "10 minute" clean which makes it worse than when they started. A good, complete cleaning should take about 2 hours and then air blown dry. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info - which Company/Person would you recommend to do this job in a professional manner