Thai Bronze Figures Turning White?

KhaoTan

I purchased two large Thai Classical Dance Musician figures 10 years ago at J.J. They are starting to get white patches on them. I am not sure if this is some form of oxidation. The figures have a green (Verdigris) paint on them. Anyone out there have this issue or know what to do to stop/fix it?

Thanks for the replies, Here are photos of the statues, I assumed the verdigris was painted on, but I suppose it may be a real patina? I tried a mixture of vinegar, salt and flour and it didn't seem to affect the white patches. I wonder if a little steel wool used only on the affected area would help?

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Thanks Transam, I don't mind a little patch of white on them, I am just worried it is oxidization and perhaps I should do something to stop it so they don't start to rust away? I bought these at J.J over 10 years ago, and I still love them.

Thanks for the replies, Here are photos of the statues, I assumed the verdigris was painted on, but I suppose it may be a real patina? I tried a mixture of vinegar, salt and flour and it didn't seem to affect the white patches. I wonder if a little steel wool used only on the affected area would help?

Hard to tell but they look good to me in their natural state, painted or not.:)

I would not be surprised if they are not mixed with another alloy as you suggest (they were from Chatuchak Market!) If that is the case, and this reaction is from the humidity reacting with this unknown alloy, what do you suggest I do to stop it, I was wondering if painting a little clear nail polish over the affected area would stop it from growing? Or even touching it up with a little matching paint to disguise those areas.....

Thanks Transam, I don't mind a little patch of white on them, I am just worried it is oxidization and perhaps I should do something to stop it so they don't start to rust away? I bought these at J.J over 10 years ago, and I still love them.

Hard to tell but they look good to me in their natural state, painted or not.:)

No rust involved, If it is Bronze no problem unless theres a mix of something else. Just keep a close eye on the bits your worried about in case it's not bronze.