Boycott Bangkok Air!

What's wrong with flying the prop plane? They're a bit noisy inside, but perfectly safe.

I agree; I enjoy those. They give the "old days" feeling :rolleyes:

LaoPo

I'm less keen following the crash last year. Added to that the flight time is nearly twice as long....ok if the prices were lower.....but oddly enough that's rarely the case!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Appologies for hijacking this thread for gaining some information, but has anybody tried using the train as an alternative method, from bangkok to samui, as i was thinking of using this on my next trip over and was wondering if this would be a relatively hassle free alternative. Thinking of an overnight train with sleeper carriage. Any information greatly appreciated.

I can't believe the original poster is recommending Nok Air to Samui. :annoyed::blink::unsure:

Let see if I got this right.

Don Meung to Nakon Sri Tammarat, then take a bus to the pier, then a boat to Samui? The 6am flight arrive to Samui Pier 5 hours later?

I could see flying NOK to Chiang Mai or anywhere else. But to Samui it just seems crazy.

From Bangkok (Don Mueang) To Koh Samui (Nar Ton Pier) (Flight + Hi-speed Catamaran)

Origin Destination Dept. Arr. Transportation Mode

DMK NST 06:00 07:10 Flight

NST LAM 07:40 09:05 Air conditioned Coach

LAM NTP 10:00 10:40 Hi-Speed Catamaran

Legends

DMK = Bangkok (Don Mueang)

NST =Nakhon Si Thammarat

LAM = Surat Thani (Laem Thuat Pier)

NTP = Koh Samui (Nar Ton Pier)

"I can't believe the original poster is recommending Nok Air to Samui."

He is recommending an alternative to the RIP OFF merchants called BKK air at Samui if you missed the point??

You can continue to get ripped off if you so chose mate but others less affluent than yourself may choose this alternative.

Oh and its spelt Nathon not Nar ton. Cheers .:D

Point is..how is 400 Baht more, a rip-off when you save over 3 hours travelling by BA in comparison with Nok?

Is this going to make any difference to anybodies affluence??

Really, if you follow all the BA threads they are allegedly the big bad wolf for not giving away their commercial advantage of owning the airport to share with others at little/no cost. There is nothing to stop other operators from using the airport if they feel that the charges are commercially viable. Some do.

(Seems to me that some posters consider it a right to row in on others commercial savvy).

Anyway, I don't think that NOK is a serious contender to BA if the only thing that they can offer is 400 Baht saving and a dubious 3 and a half hours extra time. And only two flights a day with no changes allowed.

Hardly competition to BA and not really worthwhile shooting oneself in the foot by considering a boycott.

Please don't mention the 6am flight again Gator.....it sends a shiver down my spine every time.....:blink:

Yeah, horrible, but Nok also dep same time.

I filled in their stupid survey to pick up a few extra flyer bonus points. Then at the end sent them a complaint about their mini-bus operators that operate inside their terminal. My GF was in a mini-van with 5 people to Lamai. after half an hour "we no go, must have 6 people". They then shuffled the 5 people into a car and my GF had to sit in the from seat on a strangers lap. Bangkok Airways allows these goons to operate from inside their terminal. I told them in my email that they reflect badly on Bangkok Airways image and furthermore Bangkok Airways doesn't deserve their Sky Trax awards. They are terrible airline.

I love the reply I got today (below), haven't stopped laughing:

Thank you for your comments and feedback. Kindly be assured that your feedback was forwarded to the senior management of Samui Accom Co., Ltd., the designated company to serve passenger in Samui Airport, for their consideration and review. They passed their apology for the incident occured and the staff concerned was warned to perform their duty more properly. Bangkok Airways management would be as well informed of this case to keep an eye on Samui Accom performance.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your valuable remarks and to assure you that Bangkok Airways practically offers considerable care and standard services to passenger need and satisfaction.

Thank you very much.

yes i am up for boycotting BBK airways but it would need proper organisation. would need to promote from bangkok also and to first time flyers. would need someone high up to lead the boy cott like the Mayor.

but i am in. i'll bring my mates lets do it !!!

yes i am up for boycotting BBK airways but it would need proper organisation. would need to promote from bangkok also and to first time flyers. would need someone high up to lead the boy cott like the Mayor.

but i am in. i'll bring my mates lets do it !!!

It would be interesting to know where Bangkok Air get most of their bookings from. The website is notoriously unreliable so I reckon outside of joint tourist tickets most are through travel agents. That's where we need to hit them imo. ;)

I have to go to BKK on the 5th next month. I will fly from Suratthani.

Ticket Air Asia 1.425,40 baht (including all costs)

bus Samui-airport Suratthani,which picks me up in front of my house at 8.30 in the morning 600 baht

Total, including ferry 2.025,40 baht

For people who are not in a hurry, it takes a little longer but saves a lot of money.

I agree that BKK Air are taking advantage but TG are worse. I wanted to to do BKK/USM USM/BKK out on 26th Sept and back on 6th October. TG was 1500 Bhat more return they were 12500 !!

It was reported earlier this year that Bangkok Airways had substantially incresed the parking fees at Samui airport. Result TG have to increase their fares to cover this and become less competitive thus increasing PG market share.

Yes but if you were Bangkok air owner wouldn't you like it that all these stupid customers pay so high rate for their flight... ?

:-)

Several years ago as a way to hedge against the high prices of tickets I nearly invested in the Bangkok airways property fund. Just wondering if anyone here did.

Also wondering what the returns so far have been like?

Can anyone shed light.

I imagine the returns should be pretty good considering it is the most profitable route. So profitable infact that they are one of the regions most profitable airlines. They buck the trend of most airlines these last few years in that they are consistantly making large profits.

So much from the samui route infact that it is allowing them to undercut other airlines on routes with lots of competition such as bkk-phuket.

I would hate to see a second airport on samui, but an airport in Donsak right next to ferry terminal with high speed ferry would ruin them.

I am grateful for their insight and this obviously led to Samui's initial growth. The fact is though we cannot be held to ransom for ever, this is why the UK has the monopolies and mergers commission.

The fact they can afford to have lost leader routes means we are being vastly overcharged.

Like I said before I don't mind paying 3500 considering the fuel costs, 5000 baht is quite frankly taking the piss.

They are not interested in the future of the Island or the damage they are doing.

When a company take on a concession or holds a monopoly they are duty bound to the public both customers and the other business that rely on them to provide a service that balances profits/public good. Especially on an island as small as samui.

Infact I would say that due to the fact they alone are mostly responsible for the rapid growth they have to take a good hard look at themselves.

I'm totally serious when I say local business should get together and form a union of sorts that sits down and regulates a fair price.

At preset we have fewer panes flying in as they can earn the same $ on fewer flights at a higher per person charge.

For the island it would be much better for a lower rate and more daily flights.

Basically with the aid of a few under the table payments they are holding the whole island to ransom when they could easily lower flight price, bring more people in an have the hotels and restaurants busier. Ultimatley creating more jobs and more tax income for the government.

But why bother with this when you can do the same with high prices and less incoming passengers and flights.

I guess those high up support it as it brings in those stayingin 5* acom, the famous high end tourist we hear so much about.

I would hate to hear 747 landing over chaweng and bophut, but a short high speed ferry ride of 30 mins would make it easily viable and spread the wealth around.

I hope some generals are listening as a new army runway at donsak would be great.

Or we could totally flatten that island south of samui and reclaim the shallow waters bewteen the two islands. Joke!

Anyway something must be done. Woudln't a picket line be great.......

lol.......

A well written petition would be a good start though.

• Like 1

Yes but if you were Bangkok air owner wouldn't you like it that all these stupid customers pay so high rate for their flight... ?

:-)

Several years ago as a way to hedge against the high prices of tickets I nearly invested in the Bangkok airways property fund. Just wondering if anyone here did.

Also wondering what the returns so far have been like?

Can anyone shed light.

I imagine the returns should be pretty good considering it is the most profitable route. So profitable infact that they are one of the regions most profitable airlines. They buck the trend of most airlines these last few years in that they are consistantly making large profits.

So much from the samui route infact that it is allowing them to undercut other airlines on routes with lots of competition such as bkk-phuket.

I would hate to see a second airport on samui, but an airport in Donsak right next to ferry terminal with high speed ferry would ruin them.

I am grateful for their insight and this obviously led to Samui's initial growth. The fact is though we cannot be held to ransom for ever, this is why the UK has the monopolies and mergers commission.

The fact they can afford to have lost leader routes means we are being vastly overcharged.

Like I said before I don't mind paying 3500 considering the fuel costs, 5000 baht is quite frankly taking the piss.

They are not interested in the future of the Island or the damage they are doing.

When a company take on a concession or holds a monopoly they are duty bound to the public both customers and the other business that rely on them to provide a service that balances profits/public good. Especially on an island as small as samui.

Infact I would say that due to the fact they alone are mostly responsible for the rapid growth they have to take a good hard look at themselves.

I'm totally serious when I say local business should get together and form a union of sorts that sits down and regulates a fair price.

At preset we have fewer panes flying in as they can earn the same $ on fewer flights at a higher per person charge.

For the island it would be much better for a lower rate and more daily flights.

Basically with the aid of a few under the table payments they are holding the whole island to ransom when they could easily lower flight price, bring more people in an have the hotels and restaurants busier. Ultimatley creating more jobs and more tax income for the government.

But why bother with this when you can do the same with high prices and less incoming passengers and flights.

I guess those high up support it as it brings in those stayingin 5* acom, the famous high end tourist we hear so much about.

I would hate to hear 747 landing over chaweng and bophut, but a short high speed ferry ride of 30 mins would make it easily viable and spread the wealth around.

I hope some generals are listening as a new army runway at donsak would be great.

Or we could totally flatten that island south of samui and reclaim the shallow waters bewteen the two islands. Joke!

Anyway something must be done. Woudln't a picket line be great.......

lol.......

A well written petition would be a good start though.

very well written womble

with regards to the petion, maybe an online petion could be a start

www.petitiononline.com/

How about a sea plane service.. Could fly to Pattaya/Phuket/Hua Hin etc and even Surat (seaplanes can land on paved runways).. Wouldn't make a big dent in the Bangkok service, but would put pressure on them to lower fares somewhat.

That was tried a few years back. the company involved didn't get off the ground so to speak.Now I could be corrected here,but they couldn't obtain the right permits.:shock1:

not as easy as it sounds. they send u to donsak then to nakornsea thomrat airport then bangkok but don muang air port which ok for a bangkok only flight but bad for a connecting flight. probably work out the same in taxis between airports in bangkok and more convienant to fly direct from samui. there is always a catch. though coming from bangkok might be worth it. straight from hotel to don muang then arrive in samui at 10.40 am. leave bbk at 6am.

That was tried a few years back. the company involved didn't get off the ground so to speak.Now I could be corrected here,but they couldn't obtain the right permits.:shock1:

I heard they never even bothered trying.....amusing though so it was....! :lol:

When I lived on Jersey we used to hop over to Guernsey on a 10 min flight for £20 one way maybe a deal like that could be the solution?

just to have another whinge about BA.I went to their office near bangkok samui hospital to apply for a samui residents card that gives you 20% off only to be told i could only appy 2 times per year,in march and october,and it is renewable every 6 months,they sure like to make life difficult when trying to get the best possible price.

How about a sea plane service.. Could fly to Pattaya/Phuket/Hua Hin etc and even Surat (seaplanes can land on paved runways).. Wouldn't make a big dent in the Bangkok service, but would put pressure on them to lower fares somewhat.

Here we go again. But of course the seaplane could deliver the guests direct to their hotel, jetskis could be used to load and unload passengers and luggage, the planes could be refuelled by an underwater pipe with a (guarded) floating nozzle, ground control would be beachstaff with mobile phones and the landing sites cleared of ferries, speedboats, jetskis, sailcraft, longtails fishing boats, airbeds, swimmers.........:(

Here is a brief explanation regarding the previous seaplane operation.

I Have attached a couple of photos. One of them at Samui airport and the other flying in front of Koh Som.

The seaplane was operated under a "private licence" whilst awaiting the various approvals from the relevant Govt departments.

All of the necessary operating certificates were obtained....In Thailand you simply cannot land on any stretch of water which takes your fancy. Every area has to be surveyed and a multitude of various approvals must be obtained including Marine and Miltary.

Landing sites were 4 at Koh Tao, 3 Koh Phangan, 4 at Ang Tong (which also required an environmental impact study),and Big Buddah bay.

The aircraft was operated out of the airport because it had fuel,engineering and passenger supporting facilities I was not operated on the water at that time because of the necessity to wash out the engine with distilled water after landing in salt water.

Private flights to Ranong (20 minutes from Samui) Surat and Phuket were regularly carried out.

At all times BKK Airways were totally supportive of the operation. The aircraft was licensed to carry between 10 and 13 passengers

according to configuration.

Unfortunately the parent company (Coco) withdrew financial support and the aircraft was sadly left standing on Samui tarmac.It was finally spirited away (another story) to Singapore and then Australia. There are many, more additional complex reasons why the operation didn't work out, most of them due to outside interference.

One thing is for sure, had it been allowed to operate commercially it would have been a resounding success. :violin:

post-28727-026505500 1282710221_thumb.jp

post-28727-039150200 1282710251_thumb.jp

Here we go again. But of course the seaplane could deliver the guests direct to their hotel, jetskis could be used to load and unload passengers and luggage, the planes could be refuelled by an underwater pipe with a (guarded) floating nozzle, ground control would be beachstaff with mobile phones and the landing sites cleared of ferries, speedboats, jetskis, sailcraft, longtails fishing boats, airbeds, swimmers.........:(

If you can circumvent the taxi mafia :ermm: then yes Crusty for Governor! :)

just to have another whinge about BA.I went to their office near bangkok samui hospital to apply for a samui residents card that gives you 20% off only to be told i could only appy 2 times per year,in march and october,and it is renewable every 6 months,they sure like to make life difficult when trying to get the best possible price.

SBC,you are right that you can only apply for the card during those two months every year, however the card is only renewable every 12 months at a cost, if I remember correctly of 400 bahts.

As has been said before though,I rarely use it as the promotional fares usually work out cheaper than using the card and you cannot use it for promotions.

That's correct, the card is pretty useless since you only get a discount on the expensive rates and so far there was always a cheaper discount available. They're only 300,-THB a year I think but it's 300THB wasted imho.

Edited by limbos

SBC,you are right that you can only apply for the card during those two months every year, however the card is only renewable every 12 months at a cost, if I remember correctly of 400 bahts.

As has been said before though,I rarely use it as the promotional fares usually work out cheaper than using the card and you cannot use it for promotions.

I was also told sometime ago, not applicable to overseas fares ,Singapore Etc...

It was a reasonable suggestion.