Ford Ranger Purchase

nellyp

Hi all. i have arrived in sisaket and am looking at buying a choice of 2 ford rangers at the moment. they are both 2001 models and 4 wheel drive 4 seaters. I have seen the one briefly the other not at all yet. The one is 250,000 the other 180,000 both from dealers. I will be looking at them over the next couple of days and am after some advice on typical problems with this motor. if anybody has one (or had) could you give me some advice on things to look out for.

Cheers

Neil

I have a 2002 4 door 4x4 which I have had from new.

The first thing I would say is the obvious check the service history if there is one, regular oil changes are very important in this climate.

Take them for a test drive in both 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive, because 4x4 is not used that much there can be problems. Also find out when the a/c was last services because at that age the compressors should been replaced by now.

Obviously check the tyres and spare, central locking has also been a problem on mine as well as some minor electrical problems.

A part from that, despite what a lot of people say the Ford Ranger is a dam_n good car, mine has never let me down, it's now done 180,000km, it's been all over Thailand and driven sensibly is very economical. I have had a lot of cars in my time but my old Ford, I have become attached to it.

One last thing make sure it's okay in 5th gear, I had a problem with that for a while, but nothing major and parts, servicing are all very cheap in Thailand.

I have had mine 9 years now and done about 230,000 km all over Thailand above BKK but only Hua Hin/Cha Am below.

Just the usual wear and tear and minor scrapes (all mine and none from my wife.

I have a water tank that I used to put in the truck bed in the dry season and I would carry 1,300 litres of water with no problems at all.

Mine is the 4x4 4 door model with a 2,500 cc turbo diesel motor pre D4D and my overall average is about 10.7 km/l knocking around and long trips.

I just wish I could afford a new one.

I have also found the the Ford dealer network very good as well, one of the main reasons I choose it was because a friend told me the Ford dealer in Phuket was very good, but I have Ford dealers all other Thailand very helpful, more than be said for some other makes.

I have a Y2K Mazda 2500 2wd ( essentially the same as the ford) which I have used and abused ....I bought it at 11kkm in Phuket and now has 140kkm. Very happy..

Things I have fixed:

- Replaced Window switch module drivers side (4000baht from ford dealer)

- New front disc ( never heard the telltale so got all scored up beyond skimming) about 800baht installed.

- New plastic/nylon rear shock bushes ..supplied installed free when I bought some tyres

- New tailgate handle ...plastic one snapped at lever inside when I forced it after loaded with sand ..metal one now ..2800 baht

- Still need to replace flexible air filter hose as it keeps splitting and I have run out of duct tape..

- New float switch in fuel tank.the float had fallen off ( I wonder if bio-diesel melted the glue or something)...think the new one was aftermarket product.. installed a Nissan dealer...2400baht? a lot of work !

- New battery..

that's about it really...I too wish I could afford a new one either Ford Wildtrack or Mazda BT50 4WD!