What Isp To Go For Here In Chiang Mai ?

marcusmarsh

(Ive posted this in the computers section of forum already and had a few helpful answers - thought it worth a go here too)...................................................................................................

In the next 2 weeks I need to sign up with a ISP here in Chiang Mai.

Ive been doing some research and it seems the main contenders are

3bb

True

TOT

Cat

I will be living close to the Mae Rim Road about 10

minutes out from the old city (3 minutes past Platinum Fitness Center).

I used to live in Pai and used TOT relatively painlessly.

Though reading through some of the threads on here they seem to

be problematical in places.

It also seems that some ISP,s are fine in some areas and not great

in others.

So im hoping someone living in Chiang Mai or, even better, in the same

part of Chiang Mai, can advise.

I do not need a super fast, never fails service (probably not one out there)

just a reliable ish package (if off line for half a day a week I could

handle) for a price of around 700 baht or so.

It needs to be a connection that uses a modem and not wireless.

I realize there might not be any definitive answer but all posts can at least help me make the best guess. Then, of course, I,ll just have to see how it works out.

Any advice appreciated

Edited by marcusmarsh

I have found True to be very dependable, and the service is quite good. The only complaint is that the modem that they supply for free redirects a few times a day to the True homepage. A new modem is not too expensive though and it will solve the problem. I have had True ADSL for over a year now and it went down for a half day about 3 weeks ago for the first time. Previously I used True cable internet in our bar for about 3 years and it was also very dependable. It rarely to never seems to go down and the speeds are consistant. The problem is that its not available everywhere. From all the stories I hear about the other ISPs, True seems to be much better.

I have CAT telecom, never lets me down and has only ever gone off for a couple of hours in the 2 years that I have had it. I am in sansai but I know its not available everywhere. A bit more expensive though at 1956thb a month, but very reliable. I had maxnet or what ever they ar called now before and they were terrible, I was off line at least 3 hours every day and more in the rainy season. The customer service is crap also.

As of two or three weeks ago and is probably valid for some time to come, True does not serve Mae Rim addresses. For this Mae Rimmer (no, I don't do that), I signed up with 3BB which is becoming very popular in this area. The monthly cost is 631 baht for a one-year contract, payable monthly. I have absolutely no complaints about slow or non-existent connection or the like. I got a wireless router for wifi for an additional one-time charge of 999 baht, and I think that it is well worth the price.

3BB has an office somewhere along the highway south of Mae Rim, but I couldn't find it. I signed up at the shop on the ground floor of Gad Suan Gaew shopping center, back behind the escalators somewhere. There are another one or two elsewhere I suspect, maybe at Airport Plaza.

Edited by MrBrad

Hi new to Thai Forum so forgive me if I am making a mistake and cashing in on a question. I am renting a house in Chiang Mai, old city. I sign contracts tomorrow. There is no phone line. But, I was told I can still get wireless internet with one of the leading providers. Does anyone know about this? Do I need a phone line to access the internet. NOT worried about calls - have mobile, and skype. BUT do need to access the internet. If someone has ideas, info - let me know??

you will probably have to get a phone line fitted to the house usually by TOT then you can get internet fitted using whichever IP has lines in the area. The phone line is not a problem and if you don't use it for outgoing calls, it only costs about 100thb a month. Its also usful for incoming calls. This is what I had to do anyway when I moved in 3 year ago, other people may have a different experience.

CAT CDMA 3MB over the mobile phone network

cost 6,500bht for USB dongle (3 month access included, subject to promotion), then 790bht a month

It's fast, it works, and you can take it with you ..... no long term contract required.

You can also buy a wired/wireless router that the dongle can plug into if you want to distribute around a house.

CAT office on other side of road to Carrefour on the superhighway

Pantrip Plaza shop 3 doors from Bangkok bank will let you try before you buy for a few days.

Hello.

I have both CAT CDMA and AIS Super 3G.

I would suggest following the advice of trying out the device from the place mentioned in Pantip Plaza.

Where I am located using CAT CDMA I get about 30% of the speed I get from AIS Super 3G. It seems it is not the same in every location.

Also, when I first purchased the CAT CDMA I was getting speeds above 1MB at a location near Royal Chiang Mai Golf Course. About a month later and up until now the best I can get in the same location is about 500 KB. That is the best I can get, not the average.

That is my experience with these two services.

MSPain

I live in Don Kaew area and use 3BB premier. The Indy was terrible (but I use internet for work so need fast speeds). There are occasional "server down" days, but not that many... Customer service is okay - service center people speak english, the technicians who phone you back don't.

As per MrBrad, I've also never located the "Mae Rim" 3bb office, I think it may be an urban legend.

PS. I thought Platinum Fitness Centre was closed?

I live in Don Kaew area and use 3BB premier. The Indy was terrible (but I use internet for work so need fast speeds). There are occasional "server down" days, but not that many... Customer service is okay - service center people speak english, the technicians who phone you back don't.

As per MrBrad, I've also never located the "Mae Rim" 3bb office, I think it may be an urban legend.

Update: It's not an urban legend. Yesterday I was able to locate their store; I paid my 630 baht bill there. They really do exist. See here: 3BB at Mae Rim.

A complete listing of 3BB shops in and around Chiang Mai is right here.