Cheap Charlies In Pattaya Exclusive Thread

syd barrett

In the five years of living in Pattaya almost every cheap charlie type character I have had the misfortune of coming across have all been either bitter or hate the Thais or themsleves or all three together, strange that.

None of them have been the smiling type full of the joys of spring or have anything remotely instresting to say other then how life is so crap with a face like their last partner screwed them over for every penny they had.

Has it ever occured to you that they are bitter because the only way they can live here is to be a cheap charlie, after their last partner screwed them over..............

I hope you aren't saying that only rich wastrels should be allowed to grace these shores. Even rich people hate themselves.

Edited by Rimmer
Unnecessary comment

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Such as Ayam baked beans from Malaysia. Much cheaper than the imports from the US and UK.

Yuk way too sweet. Brookes however as as close to Heinz as I have found and a darn sight cheaper than Heinz

Agree - I would also put McGarrett in that category and their tins are bigger.

Tips around the home.

Put a brick in the cistern of your WC so less water is used when flushing.

P in the sink or in the shower to save flushing the WC (with the brick in it you're got a double whammy saving).

Only take a dump when you're out at a bar. (at happy hour of course, or on a balloon chasing trip)

"Real" cheap charlies wouldn't use a flush loo. If you have one, turn off the water tap immediately, and use a bucket with a dipper ( 50 baht for both at the market ). That way you only use the minimum amount of water necessary. You can also put the old water from the fish tank when changing it into the bucket, and use the left over water after hand washing your laundry.

Don't flush for urine either. You'll soon get used to the odour of ammonia.

Bar complexes have loos that charge for use, so only frequent ones with their own ( free ) loo. In GoGos, practice avoiding the attendant's eye as you walk out without tipping.

Down on Walking Street, if you're canny, you can use the loo in the Marine Disco for free, just walk in from the dance floor so the bouncers ( sorry- waiters ) think you've been dancing ( and paid for one of their outrageously priced beers ). If worried about being beaten up ( sorry- asked politely to leave ), look for an empty beer bottle to "borrow" and walk around with it. That works for dancing free too, but make sure one doesn't follow you after entering, as they are seriously lacking a sense of humour. ( This information is from many years ago, so things may have changed in there ).

Instead of buying a video camera, go on this forum and ask to borrow a stranger's video camera for almost two weeks for free.

it was never asked for for free. You presume too much.

Being caught at the very last minute and at a bad time meant it was a last resort. Definitely last resort as the equipment I would normally use isn't your cheap dinky little handycams or the like.

By the way, although I don't make a habit of it, over the years I've leant out laptop, photo and video equipment for free to others for longer, but obviously with some sort of guarantee.

Not everyone living here are fungus, toenail. There are some genuine nice people too.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame

:)Very useful thread

How about any place for cheap nice freshly brewed coffee and dessert, preferably visible to a beach ?

I have come across a Thai cafe, located at Tesco or a hypermarket that always give cheap offers for coffeee and cakes on different days of the week, anyone know where is it in Pattaya ?

How about the best massage deal ?

Tips around the home.

P in the sink or in the shower to save flushing the WC (with the brick in it you're got a double whammy saving).

Only take a dump when you're out at a bar. (at happy hour of course, or on a balloon chasing trip)

"Real" cheap charlies wouldn't use a flush loo. If you have one, turn off the water tap immediately, and use a bucket with a dipper ( 50 baht for both at the market ). That way you only use the minimum amount of water necessary. You can also put the old water from the fish tank when changing it into the bucket, and use the left over water after hand washing your laundry.

REAL cheap Charlies always pee at home, in a bucket! this is then watered down 5 - 1 and used as garden fertilizer for the veggies! :o

Tips around the home.

REAL cheap Charlies always pee at home, in a bucket! this is then watered down 5 - 1 and used as garden fertilizer for the veggies! :o

I drink Australian lager - I don't need to waste money diluting with water. :whistling:

^Such as Ayam baked beans from Malaysia. Much cheaper than the imports from the US and UK.

Yuk way too sweet. Brookes however as as close to Heinz as I have found and a darn sight cheaper than Heinz

Agree - I would also put McGarrett in that category and their tins are bigger.

Ayam are cheapest though and if you add a little Worcester sauce it gets rid of that overly sweet taste.

• 9 months later...

Is Syd still alive, or did he make a coffin out of a cardboard box?

Yes he has been off a long time, I hope he is OK and liked his "frugalness" for the humorous aspect. Who knows - maybe he got a big inheritence and went from a cheap charlie to a high spending full time 2 week millionaire :D .

I no longer pay for a haircut. I bought some electric buzzers and the g/f gives me a number 2 for free. 350 Baht for the buzzers = 3 1/2 haircuts at my local place. After that they are all free. Except for the electric :rolleyes:

Cheap beer? With music until 2 a.m. The Shagwell at 60 Baht for a large Chang / Leo / Cheers after midnight.

Pretty reasonable food there too Gammon steak with pineapple, egg, chips, veg. 145 Baht. Chicken & mushroon pie with chips and mixed veg 145 Baht.

Cheap? I like cheap :)

My Father-in Law in the UK used to dry paper tissues on the radiators and re-use them. :ermm:

You could do the same in Pattaya - alongside the drying teabags on your washing line.

Better still, on next door's line so you don't have to buy your own. :blink:

Mind you. He did die.

Edited by chas39

I no longer pay for a haircut. I bought some electric buzzers and the g/f gives me a number 2 for free. 350 Baht for the buzzers = 3 1/2 haircuts at my local place. After that they are all free. Except for the electric :rolleyes:

Cheap beer? With music until 2 a.m. The Shagwell at 60 Baht for a large Chang / Leo / Cheers after midnight.

Pretty reasonable food there too Gammon steak with pineapple, egg, chips, veg. 145 Baht. Chicken & mushroon pie with chips and mixed veg 145 Baht.

350 for electric buzzers, that sounds like a great price. Where did you pick them up, and are you happy with the quality?

I haven't been looking around that much, but did see some for sale at an unmanned stall, at the bottom floor of TukCom.

Granted that equals almost 6 haircuts at my local barber, :) but would be nice to have a set at home.

350 for electric buzzers, that sounds like a great price. Where did you pick them up, and are you happy with the quality?

I haven't been looking around that much, but did see some for sale at an unmanned stall, at the bottom floor of TukCom.

Granted that equals almost 6 haircuts at my local barber, :) but would be nice to have a set at home.

For 350 baht they won't last ling, before you know they will be dull and pull rather than cut hair!

JH

For 350 baht they won't last ling, before you know they will be dull and pull rather than cut hair!

JH

Yeah, I kinda figured as much, maybe I'll get 6 haircuts out of it, before it's ready for the garbage can. :D

That's why I asked if he's happy with the quality.

Maybe not.

I bought some electric cutters many years ago in Europe. Paid about GBP8 (400B) for them.

Used them for ages and ages to do my own hair, saving GBP10 on barbers bills every time I did so. :)

And I put all that money I saved in the bank, and the interest from it now easily pays for my 60B haircuts here. :) :)

I've used this current hair cutter for at least 2 years i guess, what you need in addition is a suitable oil,

i have a tiny bottle of SINGER oil, think it's meant for sewing machines, which i probably bought at Friendship.

I probably bought the hair cutter in Big C, but can't remember if it was at one of those small shop's or the supermarket itself

You WILL feel when it's time to oil up the cutter B)

Edited by poanoi

If you're heading out to the bars, knock out 2 or 3 wanks first. smile.gif

The girls won't look so good and you'll not bother to take one, hence you save money and the AWOTAM ( Another Waste Of Time And Money ) feeling that you'll probably get if you do. rolleyes.gif

I think this piece of advice is most important,this tip would save me a fortune.

Fee beer with free Muay Thai boxing show.

Just sit at any given Thai owned bar,order a few beers empty them at your own pace and just walk out without paying the bill................................................For the free Muay Thai just ask a copy of the security camera recording and you can view it after you're able to open your eyes again.

If you're heading out to the bars, knock out 2 or 3 wanks first. smile.gif

The girls won't look so good and you'll not bother to take one, hence you save money and the AWOTAM ( Another Waste Of Time And Money ) feeling that you'll probably get if you do. rolleyes.gif

I think this piece of advice is most important,this tip would save me a fortune.

Best and funniest post on this thread.