Off-Road From Chiang Mai To Pai By

GB73

GB73... Not sure if you are talking about the route from Sameoung to Pai, but I've taken it a few times on a motorcycle. I like it better in the rainy season as the the dust and traffic is down. Be prepared for some pretty incredible ruts in mud holes. It is more of a very remote road (pretty tame) rather than a true 4WD route, but the remoteness makes up for it.

Here's an excerpt from a posting I did on www.gt-rider.com which is good website for info on routes in Northern Thailand....

-------------

From Pai, Rather than heading toward busy Mae Rim, we headed down HWY 1265 to Wat Bann Chan on the new pavement to the new Ampur. If you ride this, be careful as we nearly lost it on a few corners that had some ball-bearing like sand. Very slippery and hard to see until you are in it trying to get the bike to say upright. The new pavement is so nice that it lulls you into thinking you can push it when there are some real attention getters.

Breakfast at Wat Chan and then east to Mae Chaem Noi and Mae Daet Noi. This route back to Chiang Mai from Pai is a really fun alternative through remote pine forests as long as you don’t mind a bit (okay, maybe like 50km!) of gravel and rough road. Photos are at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7287618@N02/ or http://www.flickr.com/photos/7287618@N02/

-----------

It is a beautiful route, and much nicer than the busy highway back to Mae Taeng/Mae Rim. There are also a lot of side roads worth exploring.

Had been driving to Pai from ChiangMai many times. And the last time is a month back. I travel much further this time, Chiangmai - Pai - Mae Hong Song. Go by HWY 1095. Very scenic and a total of 1864 curves to handle.

Frankly, there is nothing much to do in Pai. But it's a good idea if you love nature, photography and relaxation. Will recommend you to head up to Mae Hong Son, very nice place to visit though. Waterfall, hill tribe, long neck tribe and street food.

Check out my blog and photostream, there are lot's of it taken during my Northern Thai tour. Hope it helps..................ENJOY THAI - ENJOY LIFE!

http://sunnyhor.blogspot.com/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/nusaba/

I find the road to Pai via Wat Chan to be far more scenic and relaxing than via the main highway, 1095. I find the never ending hairpin turns to become quite tiresome, and the traffic does not help. The road from Samoeng up to Wat Chan is paved except the last 40km, where it is well maintained gravel/dirt, or at least was before this current rainy season. The road from Wat Chan to Pai is now also paved.

I find the road to Pai via Wat Chan to be far more scenic and relaxing than via the main highway, 1095. I find the never ending hairpin turns to become quite tiresome, and the traffic does not help. The road from Samoeng up to Wat Chan is paved except the last 40km, where it is well maintained gravel/dirt, or at least was before this current rainy season. The road from Wat Chan to Pai is now also paved.

I wonder why no one ever talks about going to Mae sariang, which IMO is more scenic than either Pai or MHS. That river must be really running this time of year.

I wonder why no one ever talks about going to Mae sariang, which IMO is more scenic than either Pai or MHS. That river must be really running this time of year.

And taking the back routes to Mae Sariang are fantastic, and some of the best valley scenery close to CM.

Taking the 108 to the 1284, via the 4016 - than continuing to Mae Chaem via the fantastic 1192 and onward to Mae Sarieng is likely my favorite route. Then return to Chiang Mai via Khun Yuam to Samoeng which is a nice jeep trail, which again may be tough in some patches during the rainy season. Where as I've ridden the back route to Pai once, I've ridden the back route to Doi Inthanon and connecting to the 1192 over a dozen times this year; including the off road route via Samoeng onto the 4016.

fishenough, I cant see the 4016 on the map,does it connect the 1268 with the1013 and 5118?

is it only suitable for offroad bikes?

No, it's all pavement.

I was pulling the numbers off the top of my head, and was aware the 4016 is only marked on Mapsource and road side markers. Take the 108 to Sanpatong and left on the 1013 to what I'm sure is the 4016 (it's a pretty empty road that twists nicely through the mountains, you just look for the paved turn to the left with the empty building around it); the 4016 and 1284 were connected with hardtop just last year opening this road up to any vehicle though it is very lightly used. The route is all paved but the 1284 has some broken surface; which is more than fine given the fantastic waterfall vistas from the cool pine tree lined roads. Maybe stay the night in Fred Flintstones house. The 1284 connects with the 1009 to Doi Inthanon just below the park headquarters. Then it's a few kilo's to the Mae Chaem turn off, immediately after the second toll booth. If your continuing to Mae Chaem with out visiting Doi Inthanon, do not pay the park fees.

Fabulous area; enjoyed it with my son in the last week of August, 1400 km's riding a 600 km loop -

If you continue north on the 1088 (I think that's it) there is an off road route near Sop Wak; this connects with the Samoeng to Mae Win loop which is a mixed surface ride and passable even with a D-Tracker in the wet season. Think I have the GPS tracks connecting the 1088 to the 1013, which is a dirt bike trail.

Edit - want to have a day ride to Mae Chaem and back, on the route first described, later this week. Anyone is welcome to come along, I like to start early AND I do cook up a pre-ride breakfast for everybody. Well here 8-9am is considered early. For some reason motorcyclist in Thailand sleep much later than the motorcyclist of western North America. Go figure.

Edited by Fishenough