Private Class In Reading/Writing Thai, 3Rd Grade Level

NancyL

Two of us have been taking Thai lessons at the YMCA and are reading/writing at the level of a Thai third grader. Our teacher has a short-term schedule conflict and can't continue to teach at the Y, so we're going to meet with her for private lessons, on Mon-Wed-Fri starting Monday, Oct 4 continuing through Friday, Nov 5. Total class time 30 hr. We're planning to meet from 10 am - noon, but would be open to a 3:30 - 5:30 class time if that works better for any new students. We'll meet near KSK (not at the YMCA). Cost 1800 baht for the entire program.

The emphasis of this class is reading and writing Thai, with a story book utilized by Thai school children. Also, we do "word scramble" exercises where we're given some Thai words that we have to use to construct a proper sentence. Plus, each class includes a listening exercise where the teacher reads a story and we answer questions based on what we heard when listening. We'll probably add some story writing during this session as well. It is not a conversational Thai class and we use the English language to discuss Thai grammar concepts. Of course, all the reading and writing is with the Thai alphabet, not phonetics.

The teacher is kind, patient and popular at the Y. My classmate and I hope we can recruit one or two other students to join us to justify the cost of continuing to study with her outside the structure of the YMCA's programs.

Please send me a PM for more details. I could scan and email you our latest "word scramble" exercise and story from our book so you can see if our level of study is right for you.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I would like to get the word scrambles and attend a class. When do you next meet? I studied at AUA for 6 months and have completed written Thai. My listening and speaking skills are not so good, but I need to return to a class soon. What is the location of the private lesson? Thanks for your reply!

Our session wrapped up on Nov 5, but we're starting another 5 week session on Wednesday, Nov 17. We meet near KSK, M-W-F from 10 am to noon. We're now at the advanced 3rd grade level and will move into the 4th grade reading book in a couple weeks. Also, we continue to do "word scrambles", listening exercises and more writing. We did pick up a third person, but there's room for 1 or 2 more.

Baby Jesus, I'll contact you via PM so I can send you the Nov 17 homework before the class. Anyone who thinks they might be interested can sit in the Nov 17 class at no charge. It would be helpful to attempt the homework assignment before coming to the free class that day.