Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

Hey Dave - I bet it does have a positive neutral finder - I noticed exactly what you described - into first and easily into neutral.

About the labouring I can't really answer yet. But even in low gears in the city, there was a definite lugging at 3k. I am about to do a long ride today, so I can report more later...

I've got mixed feelings about that positive neutral finder; when I first started riding the Ninja it was a pain since I was so used to just dropping down how many gears to second and then a slight tap into neutral on the CBR 150. The Ninja forced me to concsiously go all the way down and back up. Feel a little bit dumbed down doing it actually.

Make sure you give us a full report.

I thought the positive neutral finder worked both ways (up from first and down from second)? I can drop from second to neutral on the Ninja 250 and the GSXR600 with a light tap down with no problems...

BTW I've seen a couple of the new CBR150's now, massive improvement on the old model - I thought the old model was seriously ugly but I like the new one and if I was looking for a cheap single for town riding and a bit of touring that would be my next bike. Not sure if it's the plastics or what but the 150 just seems so much prettier than the 250. Maybe the next range of colours will improve the 250?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still, even then things are not clear. If the Ninja 250R is slightly better in most maneuvers, and if the Honda "CBR" 250 outsells it 10-1, which is really "better" A. From the point of view of the corporations, or B. from ours? To confuse matters, it may be that the little Ninja, with its factory fixed price, may make more profit per unit. Great fun all around!:D

CMX! Why are you putting quotes around CBR yet acknowledge Kawasaki's Ninja?

Just joshin' you. :jap::D

WJMark, after your day of riding, did you notice anything about the rear brakes? I've heard people on the 150 got them adjusted for being too soft, and reading the Thai forums one guy way saying that they felt a bit weak on the 250 too.

Mine should be delivered early next week, so thinking of getting them to adjust them before I drive it away, if it's needed (and maybe lower the front a few cm too.) :)

120km last night.

Today: CM to Phrao to Chang Dao to Mae Rim through Mae Sa to Hang Dong to Samoeng to Mae Rim to CM. 360km

Started booting it around 300km. It's nicely quick, but I wouldn't call it "fast". Pulls well from 5k and seems to peter out a bit after 8.5k.

Handles fantastic! I was taking switchbacks with ease and it would pull even from 4k.

Took her up to 140 - pretty easy, but not rocket acceleration up at those speeds. Felt there was a lot further it could go - I am betting 160 with me on it (65kg).

Brakes seem fine - I use the front mostly.

I think 31km/liter.

Gotta go to Canada now - enjoy everybody.

(So which is gonna handle best? Ninja or CBR250?)

To quote the test

kitted-up 185-lb rider can hit 65 no problem. Reaching 75 is a bit more effort. And after that, the next 10 mph comes considerably slower. Once into the upper 80s, a long stretch is required to push its indicated speed past that big 9-0, maybe into the low 90s – and Japanese speedometers are notoriously optimistic by a few percent.

We’re giving you this detail because lots of people want to know how it stacks up against Kawasaki’s Twin-cylinder Ninja 250R. We’ve seen that bike hit an indicated 101 mph, and in stock form Gabe tells me it has been clocked at a true 93 mph or better

The 13,000-redline Kawi is quicker, but you have to scream it.

So there we have it really - as predicted. If you want to ride around all day at 4000 rpm, love Honda and want to save a few quid get the cbr. If you want a true 250cc sportsbike as opposed to a commuter bike with fairings - then the higher revving, harder hitting, stylish, quicker option is the Ninja. I've never heard a group of bikers so reluctant to go above 7000 rpm as I have on this CBR thread. But again we have to consider the demographics of the forum....

My bikes are a hobby, a passion. But for guys looking for the cheapest monthly payment for the 711 run, I am sure you have found your bike.

Yes, you are consistent about one thing- being a cheap skate. ;)

So Bobbin, since you seem to be such a cheap charlie and spend so much time complaining that the Ninja 250 is too expensive for you, why aren't you complaining that the CBR 250 is overpriced compared to the Tiger Boxer 250? Just wonderin... :whistling:

Ride On!

Tony

Well, Tony, being a consumer is all about priorities....

Perhaps I decided that that my not unlimited resources were better directed towards my large high-floor sea-view condo and my 5 series BMW.

And rather than serially changing my bikes, I find it more stimulating to serially change my women...:)

Hahahaha well said :lol:

To quote the test

kitted-up 185-lb rider can hit 65 no problem. Reaching 75 is a bit more effort. And after that, the next 10 mph comes considerably slower. Once into the upper 80s, a long stretch is required to push its indicated speed past that big 9-0, maybe into the low 90s – and Japanese speedometers are notoriously optimistic by a few percent.

We’re giving you this detail because lots of people want to know how it stacks up against Kawasaki’s Twin-cylinder Ninja 250R. We’ve seen that bike hit an indicated 101 mph, and in stock form Gabe tells me it has been clocked at a true 93 mph or better

So there we have it really - as predicted. If you want to ride around all day at 4000 rpm, love Honda and want to save a few quid get the cbr. If you want a true 250cc sportsbike as opposed to a commuter bike with fairings - then the higher revving, harder hitting, stylish, quicker option is the Ninja. I've never heard a group of bikers so reluctant to go above 7000 rpm as I have on this CBR thread. But again we have to consider the demographics of the forum....

My bikes are a hobby, a passion. But for guys looking for the cheapest monthly payment for the 711 run, I am sure you have found your bike.

I prefer Family Mart. :rolleyes:

Edited by taichiplanet

To quote the test

We're giving you this detail because lots of people want to know how it stacks up against Kawasaki's Twin-cylinder Ninja 250R. We've seen that bike hit an indicated 101 mph, and in stock form Gabe tells me it has been clocked at a true 93 mph or better

Selective quoting here.

Their bottom line was that the Cbr was a solid competitor to the Ninja. To most people that phrase means just that. It will give the Ninja a run for it's money. Otherwise they would have said "It's no competition" for the Ninja.

And on our way down to 7, we'll have Bt.50k more in our pocket than a Ninja purchaser. :D

And if you find us all a bunch of old fogeys, feel free to go back to the Ninja thread. I think I woke it up. That would make 2 of you there. :whistling:

Edited by bobbin

Don't know if some missed this link in the review by mc.com but a nice concise technical explanation on the CBR250

http://www.motorcycl...view-90209.html

It certainly is worthy of careful reading. No matter the winner of a Bira race, it's clear that the design and engineering of the Honda involved terrific industry. Were they available at the suggested retail price in huge numbers, I think they would sell out here. Also, when you see the U.S. advertisement, it is clear that Honda hopes to develop new markets elsewhere too. We may be looking at a spectacular success story no matter what the relation of performance to the Ninja 250R; in fact, in eventual sales the relative performances will likely be unimportant (except to experienced bikers who in other parts of the world would give little thought to the issue). This Honda will be on a stage of its own and our little speculations will stand in relationship to total sales like one biker changing out his stock muffler to the world-wide global warming situation.

To quote the test

We're giving you this detail because lots of people want to know how it stacks up against Kawasaki's Twin-cylinder Ninja 250R. We've seen that bike hit an indicated 101 mph, and in stock form Gabe tells me it has been clocked at a true 93 mph or better

Selective quoting here.

Their bottom line was that the Cbr was a solid competitor to the Ninja. To most people that phrase means just that. It will give the Ninja a run for it's money. Otherwise they would have said "It's no competition" for the Ninja.

And on our way down to 7, we'll have Bt.50k more in our pocket than a Ninja purchaser. :D

And if you find us all a bunch of old fogeys, feel free to go back to the Ninja thread. I think I woke it up. That would make 2 of you there. :whistling:

I'd have thought you'd be taking your 5 series BMW to the 711 whistling.gif , but when buying Pattaya condos and BMW's it seems your obsession with value for money and depreciation have deserted you cool.gif

By the way, did you buy the CBR yet, or still just talking about it?

For those who have bought the bike, it's good to hear the first impressions - please keep them coming...

Don't know if some missed this link in the review by mc.com but a nice concise technical explanation on the CBR250

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/honda/2011-honda-cbr250r-tech-review-90209.html

Wow - very interesting. I like this bike even more now... also noticed the $4000 MSRP in the USA - guess we're getting a bargain here in the LOS for $3,333!

Wow - very interesting. I like this bike even more now... also noticed the $4000 MSRP in the USA - guess we're getting a bargain here in the LOS for $3,333!

Didn't you just make a bargain on the wife's Vespa (mentioned in the vespa thread)? Than the Versys and now the CBR?:D well good on you and that sure could make a nice stable addition.

mbox

Good headlight is a BIG plus, but I can't see it competing with the Kwaker as a sports bike.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see the ABS being any help to me when I'm cranked over, so what use is it?

I love singles, so am prejudiced in the Hondas' favour, but think the Ninja is better, or the D Tracker, for those who prefer a more comfortable riding position.

Good headlight is a BIG plus, but I can't see it competing with the Kwaker as a sports bike.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see the ABS being any help to me when I'm cranked over, so what use is it?

I love singles, so am prejudiced in the Hondas' favour, but think the Ninja is better, or the D Tracker, for those who prefer a more comfortable riding position.

I stand to be corrected but I think ABS does work when cranked over.

[quote name=JonnyF' timestamp='1292766230' post='4097397

I'd have thought you'd be taking your 5 series BMW to the 711 whistling.gif , but when buying Pattaya condos and BMW's it seems your obsession with value for money and depreciation have deserted you cool.gif

By the way, did you buy the CBR yet, or still just talking about it?

For those who have bought the bike, it's good to hear the first impressions - please keep them coming...

Who takes a Beemer to to the 711? :blink:

And no contradictions....

My condo would be 3 or 4 times the price in most other sea-side resorts.

BMW depreciate at a snails pace in Thailand....:)

Edited by bobbin

To quote the test

Conversion to metric for all those impaired.:rolleyes:

The CBR hit 102 without issue and 120 took more effort. Top speed is conspicously not actually listed...wonder the reason for that? Run out of room?

It's not just Japanese speedos that are optimistic; it's my understanding that it's a worldwide phenomen that is there for both selling points and to reduce the actual speed of riders since if they rely on the speedo they'll be under the limit.

None the less, with my heavier body that mirrors what the Ninja offers. The highest I've seen it was 96 MPH. Don't know if we can really call a 250 is all of 0,3 seconds faster doing the 1/4 mile than the V6 Camry (!), has fairly relaxed seating position, and has non-adjustable, well, everything from the forks to the shock to the pegs to the bars (without purchasing adapters) a "true 250cc sportsbike as opposed to a commuter bike with fairings".

And some of us live so far out in the sticks that a run to "7" takes 25 minutes dodging buffaloes on the way there....

Didn't you just make a bargain on the wife's Vespa (mentioned in the vespa thread)? Than the Versys and now the CBR?:D well good on you and that sure could make a nice stable addition.

mbox

Oh I am not getting a cbr 250. I just think its worth pointing out when a bike costs less here than in the states, as that's pretty rare. The Versys is more here than in the US - clearly Kawasaki figured it doesn't need to be super aggressive on price when there's no competition here...

Anyway the cbr250 will put pressure on the price of all big bikes in Thailand, similar to what the availability of reasonably priced brand new kawasakis has done to the used big bike market. Kawa will either lower the price on the Ninjette or make it better. Woo hoo for competition :)

Another point....

Mityon Pattaya is willing to give me Bt.19,000 in trade against either the Cbr150 or Cbr250. They put the offer in writing.

I bought the bike, first year in the model series, in Dec. 2002. Let's do the math...

I paid Bt. 65,000. Less trade-in value of Bt.19,000 = Bt.46,000.

Divided by 96 months. That's a monthly cost of Bt. 479.16. :lol:

Now let's do the Ninja250, shall we? In this calculation, the numbers will be approximate..

Purchase price Bt 147,500. (This is for you Tony)

Sell after 24 months for Bt.80,000. There is such a report further up the thread. But we'll do it at Bt100,000 as well, since that's what one poor fellow in the classifieds wants. And he won't negotiate...yet.

Bt.147,500 less Bt80,000 = Bt.67,500 /24 months = Bt.2812.50 per month. :bah:

Bt.147,500 less Bt.100,000=Bt.47,500/24 months = Bt.1979.16 per month. But there won't be many resold at that price. :(

erm.. 2 things..

1) your looking at the cost of one for 96 months and the other for 24 months ?? Split the depreciation of the CBR (46k) over 24 months and its 1916 baht a month.. Or spread the cost of the ninja depreciation over 96 months and its at worse 703 baht.. 225 baht a month worse than the CBR !!!

2) the ninja was cheaper than its current price on launch also wasnt it ??

Another point....

Mityon Pattaya is willing to give me Bt.19,000 in trade against either the Cbr150 or Cbr250. They put the offer in writing.

I bought the bike, first year in the model series, in Dec. 2002. Let's do the math...

I paid Bt. 65,000. Less trade-in value of Bt.19,000 = Bt.46,000.

Divided by 96 months. That's a monthly cost of Bt. 479.16. :lol:

Now let's do the Ninja250, shall we? In this calculation, the numbers will be approximate..

Purchase price Bt 147,500. (This is for you Tony)

Sell after 24 months for Bt.80,000. There is such a report further up the thread. But we'll do it at Bt100,000 as well, since that's what one poor fellow in the classifieds wants. And he won't negotiate...yet.

Bt.147,500 less Bt80,000 = Bt.67,500 /24 months = Bt.2812.50 per month. :bah:

Bt.147,500 less Bt.100,000=Bt.47,500/24 months = Bt.1979.16 per month. But there won't be many resold at that price. :(

erm.. 2 things..

1) your looking at the cost of one for 96 months and the other for 24 months ?? Split the depreciation of the CBR (46k) over 24 months and its 1916 baht a month.. Or spread the cost of the ninja depreciation over 96 months and its at worse 703 baht.. 225 baht a month worse than the CBR !!!

2) the ninja was cheaper than its current price on launch also wasnt it ??

Uh...no.

After 2 years, the Cbr150 would still be worth 45-50k. So quite a bit less than 1k/mo.

The launch price was only in effect for a few months and the example was for a 2 year-old Ninja.

Yes, the figures can be adjusted somewhat but the trend is clear.

I'm an FOB from California, living in Chiang Mai now for about three weeks. Love it so far, but needed wheels! I sold my V-Strom 650 in the US before leaving, and so had a chunk of cash to spend - lucky me, the CBR250 just happens to appear while I'm shopping for bikes. I nabbed the first one from the Huay Kaew dealership here, and thought I'd share my impressions so far.

First off, I bought it on Friday but couldn't drive it home until Saturday. There was some issue with the battery. My Thai is not yet up to snuff, but it sounded like the battery it shipped with wouldn't hold a charge at all. They ordered a replacement from Honda, and in the meantime stuck in a generic replacement. They will call when the new one comes in and swap it out.

Ok, the bike itself: looks fantastic, fit and finish is far above what I expected from a wee bike like this. Honda is obviously playing up their quality vibe. The only "cheap" looking component is the ignition cover (where the key goes in). Looks are of course subjective, but I think overall this bike is a beauty. Certainly more beautiful than my V-Strom ;)

The size is quite a relief - I'm 6'1 and had some reservations about a bike this small. The Cycle Ergo site convinced me, though, and seems to be pretty accurate. Here's their illustration of the CBR vs a Suzuki SV650 (a bike I have owned): http://grab.by/7Z0L The only major difference in riding position is that the CBR puts a little more weight on my hands, which is nice for me because it takes pressure off my lower back.

The ride: after riding my wife's Scoopy around for a couple weeks, a 250 feels pretty fast! Pulls nicely from about 3k RPM. The sound is kind of disappointing, I'll be looking out for a nice pipe ASAP. It does get a rather nice howl up around 8k RPM (I'm breaking it in with the varied revs method - short periods of high revs). I've had it up to an indicated 135kph on Mae Jo road and it wasn't straining too hard. Will try faster when an opportunity presents itself.

Handling seems to be the strong point here. You dial in an angle and the bike locks in there. It's quite nice for such a small bike - in my experience they can be a bit wobbly mid turn, but not the CBR. Tires seem fine so far, though we'll see once the rain comes.

My first ride was two up with a friend from the US - medium sized guy. I assumed it would suck with that much weight on the bike, but the little CBR handled itself quite well. Enough to blow the half helmet off my buddy's head, anyway!

All in all, I'm very happy with it so far, and with a nice aftermarket pipe, should get a lot of smiles out of it. Looking forward to some great rides here in Chiang Mai - anyone need a riding buddy?

After reading all the various, and available, reviews of the 250, it would appear that the overall consensus is that Honda has come with the "right bike" and the "right price" and the "right time". Is it a Ninja beater? In overall top speed, probably not, but that, in my opinion, probably doesn't matter all that much to the buyers of the new 250. However, I think in a couple of years, with a few "tweeks" and mods by Honda, that it just might leave the Ninjette behind at top end, while still coming in at a lower price. I have a feeling that Kawasaki has seen their "domination" of the 250 class come to an end, and if they want to stay competitive, they need to come up with something fast.

As for me, I saw the 250 and had a momentary flash of regret for buying the new 150 instead of waiting, but it passed and I'm fine. lol. Me and wife talked about it last night and her suggestion was that I keep the 150 for a couple of years, have fun with it, then upgrade to the 250 if I want. Personally, the 150 is a blast and I love riding it whenever I can. I plan to make 3 changes. 1- Softer compound tires. 2- get that blue front fender painted white. 3- K&N Air filter when they become available. I'm looking forward to February when I plan to do some major traveling with it, having no doubts it will perform pretty much the way I want. As for those of you getting the 250, hey, I hope you have as much fun with it as I am with the "little brother".

Ride fun & Ride safe.

Hi All,

reading that some already have got theirs i'm a bit miffed at being told I'll have to wait until Jan! Has anyone seen CBR250 available in Phuket? Or are we just too far from the big smoke to be so privileged?

Plus, If anyone wants my '05 150 drop me a post! She's served me well but I could use the extra 100cc for the daily 2hr commute smile.gif

After reading all the various, and available, reviews of the 250, it would appear that the overall consensus is that Honda has come with the "right bike" and the "right price" and the "right time". Is it a Ninja beater? In overall top speed, probably not, but that, in my opinion, probably doesn't matter all that much to the buyers of the new 250. However, I think in a couple of years, with a few "tweeks" and mods by Honda, that it just might leave the Ninjette behind at top end, while still coming in at a lower price. I have a feeling that Kawasaki has seen their "domination" of the 250 class come to an end, and if they want to stay competitive, they need to come up with something fast.

As for me, I saw the 250 and had a momentary flash of regret for buying the new 150 instead of waiting, but it passed and I'm fine. lol. Me and wife talked about it last night and her suggestion was that I keep the 150 for a couple of years, have fun with it, then upgrade to the 250 if I want. Personally, the 150 is a blast and I love riding it whenever I can. I plan to make 3 changes. 1- Softer compound tires. 2- get that blue front fender painted white. 3- K&N Air filter when they become available. I'm looking forward to February when I plan to do some major traveling with it, having no doubts it will perform pretty much the way I want. As for those of you getting the 250, hey, I hope you have as much fun with it as I am with the "little brother".

Ride fun & Ride safe.

If i had the money i'd have 2 bikes (not including the Wave :D ): the new CBR150 for around town and either the Kwaka Ninja 650 or Versys. Since i don't have the doe, i will be happy with something like the CBR250 or Ninja 250. I'm tilting towards the CBR at the moment due to the ABS and the better torque characteristics. In the near future no doubt there will be ECU and exhaust mods to get several more HP, and maybe lose some weight (the bike and me!) and it should be a nice all-rounder for Thai city and country use.

There was a race on the weekend in Thailand featuring the CBR250 (same as the photos as Hili put up in post #889?). Anyone see it? I know mbox watched it on tellie.

Edited by taichiplanet

Thanks for the write-up Toby. Good to hear that you like it and that you are doing the 'hard' break-in.

What about vibrations in the higher speeds?

I will almost definitely probably buy one next year!

Vibes are VERY well damped for a thumper. My only experience with singles has been with Royal Enfields and various dirt bikes, which have all been rattletraps. The CBR is smoother at 7k RPM than my V-Strom (650 V-twin). Granted, the V-Strom was a bit rattly, but still... I felt very minor vibes through the bars (and my thin deerskin gloves), with some vibrations around the knees if you're gripping the tank/frame with them. Didn't notice any vibes through the footpegs, but I was wearing my shitkicker Sidi boots ;)

For those that are interested, I chose the Honda over the Ninjette for three reasons:

1) I much prefer the look of the Honda

2) The Honda is cheaper

3) I prefer bikes with good midrange to bikes that are all top end

As for the missing power vs. the Ninjette: the difference in power between my last (couple) bike(s) and the CBR is vastly more than the difference between the Honda and the Kawi. A few more HP one way or the other probably won't keep me from getting bored noticeably quicker ;)

Ride fun & Ride safe.

If i had the money i'd have 2 bikes (not including the Wave :D ): the new CBR150 for around town and either the Kwaka Ninja 650 or Versys. Since i don't have the doe, i will be happy with something like the CBR250 or Ninja 250. I'm tilting towards the CBR at the moment due to the ABS and the better torque characteristics. In the near future no doubt there will be ECU and exhaust mods to get several more HP, and maybe lose some weight (the bike and me!) and it should be a nice all-rounder for Thai city and country use.

There was a race on the weekend in Thailand featuring the CBR250 (same as the photos as Hili put up in post #889?). Anyone see it? I know mbox watched it on tellie.

Yes looks like the same. Would be interesting which kind of race it was. BTW anybody seen a black cbr250 on sale in BKK? Please let me know where, thanks.

post-77479-0-41906200-1292827362_thumb.j

post-77479-0-53414500-1292827340_thumb.j