Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

Wjmark,

I think I read somewhere (you doubtless know better) that changing colors on a bike involved Land Transportation and the Green Book? Or am I mistaken?

NO - changing colours just requires a can of paint (or a decent painter). Hehehe...

But to make it legal, YES, must do some registration.

Both Honda and my old mechanic seem to think that it is easy to change registration. They also say that the cops don't care. Around Chiangmai I believe that there would be no problem (I have been through 5 or 6 roadchecks lately, and nobody cared that my registration sticker was out of date - forgot to put the new one on), but for travelling around the rest of Thailand I think it would be wise to have correct paper work!

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I painted my CBR, change of registration wasn't difficult.

You are in Chiangmai I believe? Thanks for the info.

Get my bike on the 16th (I hope...). Ride to Rayong on the 17th, and fly to Winnipeg on the 20th.

If you are CanadaMuck, then I am WinnipegMark. Two weeks in the coldest big city in the world! If it is above -20 when I get there, maybe I will pull out my Honda Nighthawk and ride around on the river.

Get my bike on the 16th (I hope...). Ride to Rayong on the 17th, and fly to Winnipeg on the 20th.

If you are CanadaMuck, then I am WinnipegMark. Two weeks in the coldest big city in the world! If it is above -20 when I get there, maybe I will pull out my Honda Nighthawk and ride around on the river.

Yep I am in Chiang Mai, but I painted it when I lived in Chonburi, I don't know if that makes a difference though.

I guess you Winnipegers wait to ride until the mosquitoes are gone.

Edited by canuckamuck

Yep I am in Chiang Mai, but I painted it when I lived in Chonburi, I don't know if that makes a difference though.

I guess you Winnipegers wait to ride until the mosquitoes are gone.

Mosquitoes and the worst motorcycle insurance rates in the world. My 1983 450 Nighthawk costs $200/ summer month for basic insurance (winter is about $20/month). A CBR125 is $250/month if declared at less than $1,000 value.

7,500 Baht per month...

And mosquitoes!

Yup - winter biking on the river for me!

Edited by wjmark

Mosquitoes and the worst motorcycle insurance rates in the world. My 1983 450 Nighthawk costs $200/month for basic insurance. A CBR125 is $250/month if declared at less than $1,000 value.

7,500 Baht per month...

And mosquitoes!

What do you think the insurance rate should be for guys that drive on frozen rivers with street bikes at -20C?

Edited by canuckamuck

Poor Kawasaki Ninja 250 owners. Their bikes are unsellable for a fair price, given what they paid. Kawasaki will have to lower their price by 30% or end up with a warehouse of unsold bikes. But I said from the day they launched the Ninja 250 that it was seriously over-priced. At least in my opinion...but looks like Honda agree with me. :D

My dear Bobbin,

Until the 250cc Honda thumper wearing a CBR sticker goes head to head with the Kawasaki Ninja 250R I think it's a bit premature to pity the Ninjette owners.

Other than the ABS option (which is a big coup for Honda!) the CBR 250 is a lesser bike in every way.

But if the Ninjette is too expensive for you then I guess the Honda might be a good compromise. :whistling:

Yikes! I'm starting to sound like that troll Thundermouth! :lol:

I never said the Ninja 250 was too expensive for me. I said the Ninja 250 is too expensive for what you get. At the launch of the Ninja 250 I said that it should have been priced around Bt. 100k. Honda has now released a 250 at that exact price. :D (Sans ABS just like the Ninja 250.)

And as I said earlier in this thread, the Honda does not have to be a Kawasaki beater, just a keeper-upper, to vaporize the sales figures for the Ninja 250. Given the almost Bt.50k difference. :whistling:

Edited by bobbin

For those of you going for the 250, great! I have no doubts you'll definitely enjoy it. But I have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying my new 150, and have no regrets about buying it. As I mentioned before in the 150 forum, and maybe here as well, my wife and I sat down and discussed all the "variables" in regards to 150 vs 250 after test driving the 150 out on the highway, and mutually decided on the 150.

I've now run against 2 of the older models, and beaten both of them with no problems, and for me the bike is much more comfortable, and much more stable than the older models, especially at higher speeds. Maybe later I'll kinda wish I had waited for the 250, but overall I really love the 150.

As for the guy who wondered if he would look a little silly at his age on a 250, I had to laugh. I'll be 62 in less than 2 months, but I'm also 172cm and 64kg, and with full REAL helmet and Honda racing jacket & jeans, my neighbor (a fellow American), told me I look like "some kid" when I'm on mine. haha. My advice to him is to forget what anyone thinks and go with what you like and what feels good for you.

So, good luck and good riding to those going for the 250, and hope you have as much fun with it as I do with my 150.

Oh, and ride safe - good helmets and protective gear.

Poor Kawasaki Ninja 250 owners. Their bikes are unsellable for a fair price, given what they paid. Kawasaki will have to lower their price by 30% or end up with a warehouse of unsold bikes. But I said from the day they launched the Ninja 250 that it was seriously over-priced. At least in my opinion...but looks like Honda agree with me. :D

My dear Bobbin,

Until the 250cc Honda thumper wearing a CBR sticker goes head to head with the Kawasaki Ninja 250R I think it's a bit premature to pity the Ninjette owners.

Other than the ABS option (which is a big coup for Honda!) the CBR 250 is a lesser bike in every way.

But if the Ninjette is too expensive for you then I guess the Honda might be a good compromise. :whistling:

I said the Ninja 250 is too expensive for what you get.

Same could be said for all the overpriced imports yet Ducati and Triumph continue to report record sales and I suspect KTM, BMW, Yamaha and HD are doing just fine as well... "too expensive" is opinion and not fact and time will tell if the new Honda "CBR" 250 dents Kawasaki's Ninjette sales. Ride On! Tony

Sight unseen, I will get mine next Thursday (only red available so far).

Hi are u in Chaing Mai?

will u get the 150 or 250 CBR next thurs ?

Is the 250 avalaible in CM yet and where from ..thanks

Yes - Chiangmai. And yes, I am waiting for the 250 (it is a 250 thread, na?). Trading in my 150...

And different dealers give different answers. One promised me one this week (so I pulled out my credit card), but the next day he changed the date to 27th. But he did me a favour, and got in touch with another dealer who promised me one on the 16th.

Sorry - I am not trying to be coy, but I don't want to say which dealer - they seem to be 'doing me a solid' and I don't want to <deleted> it up...

I wanted black, and everybody said January, maybe February. ABS (which I didn't really care about) is also sometime next year.

So I am getting RED - I'm gonna paint it black (you devils!).

102,900bt with full-face helmet (DOT!), and the Platinum Package (roadside assistance and scheduled maintenance).

ps - I sat on a Ninja a few years ago, and it felt crappy (didn't ride it, so I don't really have a clue!). I did ride a Ninja 500 a few years ago, and it felt choppy and a little boring.

So I am looking forward to a bigger better version of my old 150. Same same but different duh.

Hi thanks for the info sounds like a great deal with the package n all; does that include registration and insurance?

Are u not wanting the abs version ...or is it that u cant wait till Jan :D

My dear Bobbin,

I never said the Ninja 250 was too expensive for me. I said the Ninja 250 is too expensive for what you get. At the launch of the Ninja 250 I said that it should have been priced around Bt. 100k. Honda has now released a 250 at that exact price. :D (Sans ABS just like the Ninja 250.)

And as I said earlier in this thread, the Honda does not have to be a Kawasaki beater, just a keeper-upper, to vaporize the sales figures for the Ninja 250. Given the almost Bt.50k difference. :whistling:

Honda%20XL500S%2079%20%202.jpg

I used to own this bike. specs for Honda 500 XL In some ways the new Honda 250 CBR is similar. Both have a single cylinder. The 500 XL weighs 306 pounds dry to the 347 pound wet weight of the Honda 250 CBR This 500 Honda 500 XL is rated at 33 horsepower to the 250 CBR's 26. But Bikez rates the horsepower for the 500 XL at 27 and its weight at 313 pounds. Add another 12 to 15 pounds for gas and oil and the weights are not far off from each other. Top speed is between 84 and 88 miles an hour from these two sources. Mine would accelerate pretty rapidly up to 80 then it would peg out at 85 miles an hour indicated so its indicated top speed was over 85 miles an hour. Of course the gearing will be different between the two bikes and the tires are altogether different given the 500 was meant for on and off road. The 250 CBR's front end will seem to be infinitely better planted. The 500 had so much torque and low speed acceleration to make the bike pretty scary in the woods. Of course the agressive tread design of the 500 XL's took a lot away from its touring bike capabiliies. With its bike street bike tires this will be no problem for the CBR 250. Somewhere on the web I saw an acceleration figure of zero to sixty miles an hour of 6.5 seconds for the Honda CBR 250 and that is a quicker zero to sixty figure than I've seen for Ninja 250 R's. So here's my prediction. At fast highway speeds the Ninja 250 R will be faster but in city traffic the Honda 250 CBR will be much more potent. My prediction for the top speed of the CBR 250 will be around 83 to 88 miles an hour. The question is how often does one want to be driving faster than 80 on Thailand roads? And for anything up to 70, particularly up to 60, the new CBR is going to be about the most fun thing on two wheels with torque characteristics about ideal for the most situations one is likely to encounter here on a street bike.

Are u not wanting the abs version ...or is it that u cant wait till Jan :D

He bought a 150. AFAIK ABS is not available on the 150.

I guess he bought the 250 at over 100,000 baht .. unless im mistaken??

Ooops! My bad! I thought you were talking about Just1Voice who recently purchased a new CBR150. Sorry for the confusion! :jap:

My dear Bobbin,

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Hmm, stating that the Honda's new 250 sans ABS is a lesser bike in every way compared to the sporty Kwaker 250 seems a little premature, too.

My dear Bobbin,

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Hmm, stating that the Honda's new 250 sans ABS is a lesser bike in every way compared to the sporty Kwaker 250 seems a little premature, too.

Yes and no...

"lesser in every way" is perhaps a bit too strong.

I've spoken to some of the guys from Panadda Racing:

IMG_1381SSR.jpg

and the Technical Rider stunt team:

P7266693SSR.jpg

about the new CBR250 (non ABS version) which they recently had a chance to test-

They said the stock CBR could keep up with (but not beat) a stock Ninja 250R up to third gear after which it gets left behind the more powerful and higher revving Kwacker. They were not impressed with the handling of the stock CBR250 saying that the brakes were far weaker than those of the Ninjette and the stock suspension of the CBR250 is much softer than that of the Ninjette which puts the CBR at a distinct disadvantage through the corners and chicanes.

Again, this is just the feedback from a handful of experienced racers and stunters so take it for what it's worth.

Personally I have a feeling that the new Honda CBR 250 will be a fine little touring bike but I also expect that it will NOT be the bike of choice for aspiring 250cc class racers.

Ride On!

Tony

My dear Bobbin,

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Yes and no...

"lesser in every way" is perhaps a bit too strong.

I've spoken to some of the guys from Panadda Racing and the Technical Rider stunt team about the new CBR250 (non ABS version) which they recently had a chance to test-

They said the stock CBR could keep up with (but not beat) a stock Ninja 250R up to third gear after which it gets left behind the more powerful and higher revving Kwacker. They were not impressed with the handling of the stock CBR250 saying that the brakes were far weaker than those of the Ninjette and the stock suspension of the CBR250 is much softer than that of the Ninjette which puts the CBR at a distinct disadvantage through the corners and chicanes.

Again, this is just the feedback from a handful of experienced racers and stunters so take it for what it's worth.

Personally I have a feeling that the new Honda CBR 250 will be a fine little touring bike but I also expect that it will NOT be the bike of choice for aspiring 250cc class racers.

Ride On!

Tony

I suppose it all comes down to what you are looking for in a bike. I for one would have been much more exited about something along the lines of the VTR250, even with a single thumper. Never been a big fan of excessive plastic on a bike anyway. My guess is that the new Honda 250 will be a good choice for the occasional longer ride and otherwise just short of being too silly for short trips.

Regarding your last statement: Also yes and no. It might well be the bike of choice for those aspiring 250cc class racers, but hardly for the ones who actually know what they are doing...

I also expect that it will NOT be the bike of choice for aspiring 250cc class racers.

Ride On!

Tony

Do you really think so? Given that the new specs for MotoGP3 mandate a single-cylinder 250?

Since this model is a global release, there is going to be a lot of after-market kit available.

Also, I don't think we will have to wait too long before one of the many bike mags will do a head to head comparison. and, whatever the results are, the Honda owner will still have Bt. 50k (or local equivalent) more left in his pocket versus the Kawasaki owner. :rolleyes:

There won't be enough difference to justify the Kawasaki price. My prediction.

about the new CBR250 (non ABS version) which they recently had a chance to test-

Ride On!

Tony

I know you are referring only to the standard CBR250 Tony. It has a 2 pot caliper on the front but the ABS version has a 3 pot caliper. Another reason to get the ABS version! I suppose ABS would make the bike useless for stunters!

Looking forward to proper road tests of the CBR250, and the inevitable head-to-head with the Ninjette. Yeah price will be an issue but once you start modding then soon it will be close to the Ninjette price. As the CBR250 does not have upside down forks, is there much you can do to improve the front handling?

Price aside it comes down to what style of riding you want; for me it seems the CBR250 is ideal for Thai riding having the low torque, relatively small for the city and able to do some touring. Plus ABS. It seems the Ninja 250 would be the better bike for outta town, though of course it would perform well enough in town and i dare say, more of a rider's bike.

Gentlemen; Start your engines! :clap2:

Hello everyone,i'm from Indonesia,glad to see that Honda finally launch their 250 cc bike to compete with the Ninja coz in Indonesia, the Ninja still the top of the line in sportbikes,unfortunately i'm still confused to choose between this CBR or Ninja,n as far as i know,CBR news became hot topics anywhere on bike forums,hope that some magz would compare them fairly,n i will follow this forum to know the pros n conts of the CBR,

Edited by blackhats

The question is how often does one want to be driving faster than 80 on Thailand roads?

The answer...

Whenever I can!!! :lol:

Ride On!

Tony

Nice vid Tony but I think you need to show the speedo maxed out at 299 on the Bang Na -Trat at 5pm if you want the 'Thai Ghost Rider' accolade ;)

I asked one of the main Honda dealers here in Chiang Mai when the new 250 would be advailable up here .All they could say was next year ,meaning after the new year .

They did have the new 150 on display and the showed me a brochure of the 250 .Anyway i have decided as i have never been into sports bike ,to put a deposit down on a Honda PCX.They expect me to get delivery Jan or Feb.Anyway better for upkeep of bike value to wait to get new year registration .Price of the PCX up here B71,200

I asked one of the main Honda dealers here in Chiang Mai when the new 250 would be advailable up here .All they could say was next year ,meaning after the new year .

They did have the new 150 on display and the showed me a brochure of the 250 .Anyway i have decided as i have never been into sports bike ,to put a deposit down on a Honda PCX.They expect me to get delivery Jan or Feb.Anyway better for upkeep of bike value to wait to get new year registration .Price of the PCX up here B71,200

To each his own, but I wouldn't have a PCX if they GAVE it to me for free!! Well, I would, but then turn around and sell it. I don't know if you test drove one, especially out on the road in traffic and on the highway, but I did. Brought it back to the show room and told them "No Thanks", went straight to Yamaha and paid cash for a new Nouvo Elegance 135cc.

PCX styling is ok, but performance totally sucks as far as I'm concerned. My wife's new Scoopy will run circles around a PCX, not to mention the Nouvo. Too heavy, sluggish acceleration, hard suspension and totally hated that split seat.

I was looking for a temporary replacement for my 150 after I sold it, till the new ones came, and something good I could then give to my son. He's more than happy with the Nouvo, telling me that one of his friends bought a PCX and he tried it and didn't like it either, so he's glad I bought the Nouvo.

10,000 baht cheaper and a much better performing bike, in my opinion. But, like I said, to each his own.

:jap:

My dear Bobbin,

Let the Good Times ROLL!

012.jpg

Mind listing the reasons that "the CBR 250 is a lesser bike in every way."? I can kinda understand about the front fork being softer (I'm assuming that's a direct response to the international bike that Honda has been looking to market and most people worldwide are not as hefty as say I), but the even Ninja's was way to soft for my fat arse. And since the CBR 250R will be released in the States I'd assume that it would be a short time until Race Tech releases an upgrade.

I'm also wondering what exactly the ratios v. powerband on the two bikes would result in when considering the acceleration. Kinda like the difference between a supercharged ZR-1 and the Nissan GT-R. Low-end torque geared for it and high-end horsepower geared for acceleration. There's really a tossup between the two, and I'd be willing to bet that it's going to be the same-same with the Ninja v CBR comparison.

Case in point; it seems that at BIRA the test rider was able to reach the same speed on the CBR 250 as Bard did (in the same area?--seems like it from reading both accounts) without the aftermarket exhaust that Bard had on his Ninjette.

And taichiplanet; there's no way that the ABS will allow you to do a stoppie; by definition that is exactly what the system is designed to prevent (antilock braking system---you want the front caliper(s) to nearly lock up to do stoppies).

So where is the poster formerly known as Dom Toggaf.

I thought he would be here eating crow about the 250 never being released in Thailand.

That would be Appropriate.

Probably the same place that Herr richardbkk is since he has been noticably absent from the CBR 150R thread after claiming it was impossible to have a fuel injected CBR 150....

I used to own this bike. specs for Honda 500 XL In some ways the new Honda 250 CBR is similar. Both have a single cylinder. The 500 XL weighs 306 pounds dry to the 347 pound wet weight of the Honda 250 CBR This 500 Honda 500 XL is rated at 33 horsepower to the 250 CBR's 26. But Bikez rates the horsepower for the 500 XL at 27 and its weight at 313 pounds. Add another 12 to 15 pounds for gas and oil and the weights are not far off from each other. Top speed is between 84 and 88 miles an hour from these two sources. Mine would accelerate pretty rapidly up to 80 then it would peg out at 85 miles an hour indicated so its indicated top speed was over 85 miles an hour. Of course the gearing will be different between the two bikes and the tires are altogether different given the 500 was meant for on and off road. The 250 CBR's front end will seem to be infinitely better planted. The 500 had so much torque and low speed acceleration to make the bike pretty scary in the woods. Of course the agressive tread design of the 500 XL's took a lot away from its touring bike capabiliies. With its bike street bike tires this will be no problem for the CBR 250. Somewhere on the web I saw an acceleration figure of zero to sixty miles an hour of 6.5 seconds for the Honda CBR 250 and that is a quicker zero to sixty figure than I've seen for Ninja 250 R's. So here's my prediction. At fast highway speeds the Ninja 250 R will be faster but in city traffic the Honda 250 CBR will be much more potent. My prediction for the top speed of the CBR 250 will be around 83 to 88 miles an hour. The question is how often does one want to be driving faster than 80 on Thailand roads? And for anything up to 70, particularly up to 60, the new CBR is going to be about the most fun thing on two wheels with torque characteristics about ideal for the most situations one is likely to encounter here on a street bike.

83-88 MPH (133-141 kph)? Not with the gearing that the CBR 250 has; unless it's super-overgeared. My math works it out to be ~162 kph (101 MPH) redlined in 6th. Now we know that there's a good chance it won't hit that stock; but I bet it's within 10-12 kph. Even the Ninja 250 does some 154 kph with my 100+ kilos on it...