The New Skytrain

WilliamCave

Is there a list of what will open when, of all the various new projects? In English please wink.png

We are not allowed to link to other forums, but there is another forum with MUCH more detail on building development, transportation development, and other infrastructure development. Sky Scraper City is the name, and there's a whole section on there for Thailand. Loads of pictures and a decent amount of English.

Thank you - that would be fine, but my Thai reading abilities are not good enough sad.png

It's all in English jpinx. I had a look at it this morning

Is there a list of what will open when, of all the various new projects? In English please wink.png

We are not allowed to link to other forums, but there is another forum with MUCH more detail on building development, transportation development, and other infrastructure development. Sky Scraper City is the name, and there's a whole section on there for Thailand. Loads of pictures and a decent amount of English.

Thank you - that would be fine, but my Thai reading abilities are not good enough sad.png

The website itself is in English, but most of the interesting commentary and information is from Thai users, written in Thai

The website itself is in English, but most of the interesting commentary and information is from Thai users, written in Thai

Not sure what thread you are reading on skyscraper..

The recent stuff in this thread, over the last year, regarding the BTS/MRT is all in English

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=644829&page=65

Edited by BookMan

Hey LG,

Any update that you know of about the Airport Link? Are some carriages still under maintenance and do you know when they are expected to be back in service again? Will the Express Line be coming back into service at any stage? And any chance of 4-carriage trains being ordered?

Basically, 2.5 yrs after the money was approved an order for 7 new 5 cars sets has been placed but there are accusations of some corruption in the process which is holding up the process .....after a 2.5 yr delay what will another few months matter whistling.gif

The Express Services will come back at some stage in the future, most likely after the track work is done at Makkasan to link both lines. That project is also 2 yrs overdue.

Any indications on a likely operational date for the line out from Bearing to Samut Prakarn Crocodile Farm?

Scheduled to be by the end of next year but there are still some issues to resolve regarding transfering the project from the MRTA to the BMA. Construction is proceeding well and is just under 73% done.

The main issue will be the delivery of the new BTS order of rolling stock and if CNR delivers it on time!

You can peruse the website, http://en.mrta-greenline.net/

mSQWlZdCq5b6ZLkt6uyMlb4jGl8QdVHf.jpg

• Like 1

For the original query regarding a summary list, you really need to only go back in this thread about 5-6 pages, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page-12. Read the next couple of pages thereafter.

If you can wait a couple of days I will finally do an update. It hasn't been that worthwhile as not much policy wise happened last year. Most of the post coup period in the 2nd half of 2014 was a mess of confusion for all mass transit, BKK and nationwide.

For links, one can always check the 1st page of the thread............

• Like 1

Hey LG,

Any update that you know of about the Airport Link? Are some carriages still under maintenance and do you know when they are expected to be back in service again? Will the Express Line be coming back into service at any stage? And any chance of 4-carriage trains being ordered?

Basically, 2.5 yrs after the money was approved an order for 7 new 5 cars sets has been placed but there are accusations of some corruption in the process which is holding up the process .....after a 2.5 yr delay what will another few months matter whistling.gif

The Express Services will come back at some stage in the future, most likely after the track work is done at Makkasan to link both lines. That project is also 2 yrs overdue.

Any indications on a likely operational date for the line out from Bearing to Samut Prakarn Crocodile Farm?

Scheduled to be by the end of next year but there are still some issues to resolve regarding transfering the project from the MRTA to the BMA. Construction is proceeding well and is just under 73% done.

The main issue will be the delivery of the new BTS order of rolling stock and if CNR delivers it on time!

You can peruse the website, http://en.mrta-greenline.net/

mSQWlZdCq5b6ZLkt6uyMlb4jGl8QdVHf.jpg

Great :) Thanks for that useful link - now bookmarked :) Do you mean the end of 2017.? Progress looks better than that....

Hey LG,

The other website is claiming 72% of construction completion. Hopefully Lakegeneve has some updated info for us

Here's a month old photo of the Erewan Museum

BookTrainExtend_018.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this LG. Any idea of a rough timescale for the delivery of those 5 car sets? Note that I'm saying "rough timescale" as I know how these things get delayed. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's more info on the Gold Line from Codename_B on SSC

Here's info of the gold line AGT

- 3 car train, each car will be 10 meters long
- will use rubber tyre that doesn't produce much noise about 50 decibel
- the pillars will be as high as BTS pillars
- first phase will be 1.7 km
- there will be no land expropriation, but it will instead use some of the footpath on both sides of Charoen Nakhon road
- ICONSIAM will provide the money for construction and signaling (Also the one who proposed this line)
- EIA will be given for approval at the end of March. After EIA is approved, construction will take 20 months.
- Passenger forecast for G1 station is 36,000 people, G2 station is 49,000 people and 26,000 people for G3 station.
- Currently the project has been given to the Committee for the Management of Land Traffic for approval.
- This line along with BMA grey line has been given to OTP (Transport and Traffic Policy Plan Office) to be included in the next Greater Bangkok Mass Transit Plan as phase II.
Edited by IsaanUSA

• 1 month later...

Pink and Yellow Monorail lines

Cabinet approved the Pink and Yellow monorail lines for tender yesterday (This is actually the 3rd time a diff govt cabinet mtg has approved the Pink line which was first due to be tendered in 2010!). Both of these lines were originally planned as heavy rail which they still should be as monorail won't cope with the pax loads. The Pink line will be the 2nd (or 3rd) longest monorail line in the world when operational.

Supposedly both lines will be tendered within the next 3 months. However, I have my doubts as the MRTA still needs to select the rolling stock manufacturer first and though there is a favourite, I understand that the matter is still some time from being finalised. This has been the main reason for the delay in the last 2 years for both lines...........along with the post coup uncertainty period. They cannot tender the line until the rolling stock is contracted as it dictates the line design.

I'd suggest another 6 months at least before a tender.........

More on the Yellow line post #329, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page-14 .....................I previously did the same for the Pink Line too but cannot find it............

For those that are unsure where both lines will run.....

bangkok_mrt_masterplan_eng.jpg

• Like 2

Yellow and green lines will be good when done

it looks like the yellow line doesnt interchange with green line?

need to change at lad prao mrt?.

Yellow will be built in 2 Phases. Watch the video embedded in the referred to in the previous post...

Phase 1 is from Latphrao to Hua MArk (ARL).

Phase 2 is from Hua Mark to Samrong (BTS)

• Like 1

I read in one of the news reports about the recent problems on the Airport Link that they weren't ordering any more trains, but were just increasing the passenger capacity on existing trains (not sure exactly how that would be done though). This conflicts with the post you made recently where you said the order has almost been completed. Do you know what's really happening with this?

I read in one of the news reports about the recent problems on the Airport Link that they weren't ordering any more trains, but were just increasing the passenger capacity on existing trains (not sure exactly how that would be done though). This conflicts with the post you made recently where you said the order has almost been completed. Do you know what's really happening with this?

Yes I saw that too.

The SRT have really stuffed this (for a change! rolleyes.gif ). The money was allocated for 7 new 5 car sets over 2.5 years ago in mid 2013! Normally deliver timeframe is 2 years, ie. they could've ordered the rolling stock and had it delivered by now. The coup caused a delay and did some internal issues. Subsequently, there has been a debate on Chinese v Euro rolling stock and it looked like it had been solved mid last year until a related problem of some people trying to skim money off a Chinese order thereafter delayed the process again.

Honestly, everyone should just be taken out the back of the office and used for manure in the SRT garden as it would be a more productive use of their collective minds!

I haven't followed up on this for a while but I will do so.

since I was unlucky enough to be stuck inside the airport link on that unfateful day(21st march, last Monday) and have to travel twice a day in A-link, I can tell you firsthand how SRTET is going to increase the capacity. They are removing the seats on the red Airport Link expressline trains (some of the seats have already been removed) that now travel on the regular route and would most probably also remove the special baggage racks next to the doors, and remove the jump-seats from the regular airport link trains (blue ones) and who knows maybe dismantle the restrooms too in the Airport Link trains, they really intend to pack us inside the trains like sardines. What SRT does not realise is that the last weeks breakdown wouldn't have turned as bad as it did, had the train not been packed to the suffocating point.

Also, the reason for canceling the train order by the current prime minister is due to the corruption allegations on SRT officials amid their hush-hush affair with CRC. For the sake of the everyday commuters and myself I hope they buy new trains soon.

On a related topic, the planned line connecting BTS Udom Suk to Suvarnibhumi is going through the motions, I believe one of several public hearings was held recently and there was a bit of news in Prachachat. Word from friends in the transport and real estate sectors is that this is very much a priority for the BMA, but seems to receive less media attention as it's not a part of the MRTA's master plan (e.g., Pink, Yellow, Orange, etc).

Edited by planr

Pink and Yellow Monorail lines

Cabinet approved the Pink and Yellow monorail lines for tender yesterday (This is actually the 3rd time a diff govt cabinet mtg has approved the Pink line which was first due to be tendered in 2010!). Both of these lines were originally planned as heavy rail which they still should be as monorail won't cope with the pax loads. The Pink line will be the 2nd (or 3rd) longest monorail line in the world when operational.

Supposedly both lines will be tendered within the next 3 months. However, I have my doubts as the MRTA still needs to select the rolling stock manufacturer first and though there is a favourite, I understand that the matter is still some time from being finalised. This has been the main reason for the delay in the last 2 years for both lines...........along with the post coup uncertainty period. They cannot tender the line until the rolling stock is contracted as it dictates the line design.

I'd suggest another 6 months at least before a tender.........

More on the Yellow line post #329, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/406991-the-new-skytrain/page-14 .....................I previously did the same for the Pink Line too but cannot find it............

For those that are unsure where both lines will run.....

bangkok_mrt_masterplan_eng.jpg

What is the status of the grey Sapham Phra Ram 9 - Vacharaphol "Thonglor" line?

When can we expect the purple line from Tao Pun - Phra Pradaeng to open? I'm expecting at least 2025 something like that, since it hasn't even started yet?

Interesting thread, apologies if the question has been answered already

Edited by bkkgooner

The map posted by Lakegeneve is the best I have seen to date. Thanks. I think that it may be a bit out of date though. The light green line already operates to Bang Wa not Talut Phlu as indicated.

The construction near Taling Chan is massive. It looks like enough room for four tracks although someone told me a parallel highway is being built. This could make some sense as beyond Taling Chan, near Phuttamonthon Sai 1 there appears an on ramp is being built. Also it looks like a connection from the elevated Boromratchajonani Road is also being constructed going towards the elevated track. Several inbound lanes are blocked to traffic for 3 months during construction. Anyone know what is going on?

Edited by lujanit

The map posted by Lakegeneve is the best I have seen to date. Thanks. I think that it may be a bit out of date though.

The image contains the date. August 2013

This one is slightly newer, from 2015.

M0E8m94.jpg

Edited by IsaanUSA

• 2 weeks later...

MRT Orange line East Section - (21 km) has now been approved by the cabinet and will be up for bidding in June.

This means that three MRT lines will be up for bidding in June. beer.gif

• MRT Pink line monorail (34.5 km)
  • MRT Yellow line monorail (30.4 km)
  • MRT Orange line east section (21 km)

via Codename_B on SSC

The question I really want answered is will the fare collection systems be integrated? Or will we still need 3 different types of card (MRT, BTS, ARL?)

Or would we need even more cards?

I hope they all work on the Rabbit card, very easy.

The question I really want answered is will the fare collection systems be integrated? Or will we still need 3 different types of card (MRT, BTS, ARL?)

The Purple Line will be integrated with the existing MRT for both cards and (when the link between Bang Sue and Tao Poon opens) tokens :) Holders of existing MRT cards must exchange them over the next couple of months (free) for the new MRT card which will work on both lines (and all future MRTA managed lines).

The SRT Red Line which will likely be open next (2020) is currently slated to use the new Mangmoom (Spider) card which is intended to also work on the MRT, ARL, BRT and BTS and be the first really integrated transit payment system in Thailand.

The Purple Line will be integrated with the existing MRT for both cards and (when the link between Bang Sue and Tao Poon opens) tokens :) Holders of existing MRT cards must exchange them over the next couple of months (free) for the new MRT card which will work on both lines (and all future MRTA managed lines).

The SRT Red Line which will likely be open next (2020) is currently slated to use the new Mangmoom (Spider) card which is intended to also work on the MRT, ARL, BRT and BTS and be the first really integrated transit payment system in Thailand.

I recently got my MRT card upgraded. Guess I'll wait until 2020 to see if there is a one card does all system.

Would the mangmoom card have a shared balance (just one sum of money and this is debited for each journey/purchase) or would it have separate wallets for each transport operator?

The Purple Line will be integrated with the existing MRT for both cards and (when the link between Bang Sue and Tao Poon opens) tokens smile.png Holders of existing MRT cards must exchange them over the next couple of months (free) for the new MRT card which will work on both lines (and all future MRTA managed lines).

I recently got my MRT card upgraded. Guess I'll wait until 2020 to see if there is a one card does all system.

Would the mangmoom card have a shared balance (just one sum of money and this is debited for each journey/purchase) or would it have separate wallets for each transport operator?

There is indeed only one balance on the Mangmoom card which will be used for all transactions :)

What's the latest on when the northern bus station is moving out of Bang Sue? I've got a good view of the whole construction area from my office tower and they seem to be making good progress with several new rail lines going in different directions, but right smack in the middle of everything is that bus station. Seems like they're going to have to move it soon or have to delay some work.