Houses With Back Yards In Phuket

petercallen

We have been looking at houses and all we have seen so far have no back yard.

Some have been on quite large blocks but the house is still built close to the back fence

leaving a huge front yard.

I like a back yard where you can have your entertaining/BBQ area, clothes line(which do not

seem to exist in Thailand ) vegetable patch and swimming pool if you want them.

Why do people want to have a pool in front of there house its not a resort, the pools not for public use.

Does anyone know where they build houses here with back yards or of any existing ones with back yards.

I think one of the reasons they are built with everything in the front is that the land area is generally very small and they need space in the front for car parking. That then leaves room for a pool next to it.

Don't know what your budget is Peter, but I notice Welta (houseinphuketdotcom) has a nice place in Chalong with a pool in the back yard. 8.9 mill. :rolleyes:

I think one of the reasons they are built with everything in the front is that the land area is generally very small and they need space in the front for car parking. That then leaves room for a pool next to it.

Don't know what your budget is Peter, but I notice Welta (houseinphuketdotcom) has a nice place in Chalong with a pool in the back yard. 8.9 mill. :rolleyes:

Thanks i will check it out, Welltas brother died recently and he was only 33 years old.

I will give her a call next week or when she is back in business

We looked at a new development recently and the houses were on 800SQM blocks

They were all built against the back fence leaving a huge front yard with swimming pools the size of a large bath

Thanks i will check it out, Welltas brother died recently and he was only 33 years old.

They were all built against the back fence leaving a huge front yard with swimming pools the size of a large bath

Unusual to see blocks at 800 sqm. But still built against the back fence, I guess Thais just have no concept of privacy in the same way as westerners.

I'm sure Weltas is still open. Ask to speak to Ben, a very helpful lady who organised a rental for me. (She also runs a Lao food restaurant if your wife is interested in that style)

Edited by Old Croc

Unusual to see blocks at 800 sqm. But still built against the back fence, I guess Thais just have no concept of privacy the way westerners do.

I'm sure Weltas is still open. Ask to speak to Ben, a very helpful lady who organised a rental for me.

Take the soi on the East end of Home Pro in Chalong, go to the end of it

Farang developer

I'm sure Weltas is still open. Ask to speak to Ben, a very helpful lady who organised a rental for me. (She also runs a Lao food restaurant if your wife is interested in that style)

About 5 minutes after writing this Ben rang me! :o (About showing the rental I'm about to move from)

I expressed my condolences for Pon's passing.

So they are working this week. :)

Unusual to see blocks at 800 sqm. But still built against the back fence, I guess Thais just have no concept of privacy the way westerners do.

I'm sure Weltas is still open. Ask to speak to Ben, a very helpful lady who organised a rental for me.

Take the soi on the East end of Home Pro in Chalong, go to the end of it

Farang developer

To be correct the pools are in the front of the home's living room but this area is partially enclosed & not directly facing the soi. It actually faces towards the side wall.

I think it again comes down to the Thai status thing.. They want the house to appear as large as possible, with the grand driveway.. Any space not 'seen' is wasted space. Its why Thai houses are so rarely screened by hedges and walls but left exposed with railings.

Plus Thais are less into gardens as a part of the home and lifestyle.. Gardens are a step too close to jungle, which to many thais is something to be cut down and tamed, not as much something to enjoy.. The whole sitting outside, with the sun, or by a pool, with the elements, (and bugs) is less Thai style I think.

I think Thais do tend to like water gardens, I often hear its good to live near water, the cooling aspects, etc.. Think of how many Thais have fishponds or waterfalls compared to western gardens.

Unusual to see blocks at 800 sqm. But still built against the back fence, I guess Thais just have no concept of privacy in the same way as westerners.

Yes, that is one of the major differences between Thais and westerners. We tend to seek privacy while at home, Thais tend to socialize.

Before the topic changes to talking about street dogs.

Any other suggestions about where to find a nice house with a back yard at a realistic price

Are you looking for a specific area? Budget up to 10 or can you go more? How much land is ideal?

No specific area but must be where the homes are of equal quality

We do not want a nice home surrounded by poorly looked after houses.

Land area 500 to 1000 SQM

We have not seen anything worth 10m yet, as a matter of fact its amazing how quickly

people will drop there prices substantially when they know you are a genuine buyer and you don't have to ask them to.

Some of the property's we have looked at are worth substantially less than the asking price.

All we have seen except one are very over priced.

I believe we can get what we want for under 10M so unless its something special in our opinion i wont be paying more

We are in no hurry and willing to wait to we find what we want.

Its a buyers market and its not going to change in the near future

Thais are incredibly social.. Time alone to a Thai seems painful or sad.. Eating alone impossible.. They eat sleep etc in groups nearly non stop.

They also need constant noise it seems to me, my wife will turn the TV on and walk away not to watch it, but just to have background.. This drives me nuts (esp when she then turns another one on elsewhere in the house so theres 2 unwatched TV's competing).. But it seems the noise thing is a compensation for not having a large group nattering.

Go back in the baan and theres always groups... Very social people.

Personally I prefer a little peace and even solitude but my wife finds it hard to understand.. Thats why being out on the bike is 'me time' concentrate on nothing but the road, alone inside the helmet.. Zen..

over 100 house in my baan, from cheap to esxpensive.

In the cheap ones, sometimes u see a thai riding around with his young kid.

at the limit between cheap and medium, there's a farang with 5 dogs who fight a lot and attack people, he sometimes sits in the street while other thais are working on their cars or specical projects(just to seem like he has friends)

At the high-med houses, there's a thai who sits in his underwear in a plastic chair all afternoon, in the street alone watching the soi dogs fighting and his french farang neighbor watering his plants in his white tight underwear(about 70yo)

at the low-high end houses, no 1 ever outside. you drive past, from 5pm to 11pm its lonely people sitting on the floor, back against the couch watching soap shows.

Expensive houses.. they just drive in and out, never outside of their house except one, where it's a farang who's only there once a few months and he takes out his wife's and her 'brother's baby for a stroll and the whole extended family follows him in hope that he breaks a leg and dies of pneumonia.

Faily certain the only socializing happening here has come from MY house, we've met a nice old lady and a few couples with kids..

Give me a home among the palm trees,

With lots of banana trees, a cobra or two, some house lizards too,

A clothes line out the back, verandah out the front,

and my own back yard

Then do like me, shop around for a holiday land up north, and slowly build yourself a 1 story mansion, room by room.. a lake a pool ATV trails.. when u cant stand the phuket heat or lack of space, drive there.

save ur money as all homes in Phuket are over priced and the money u invest in buying a home will never be revcovered any more unlike 5 or more years ago)

reason being is they are just building to many.

if u serious, drive around and look, the island is not that big.

Plenty of homes near Lock Palm golf course and the back road over to BIS and that area of Thalang. Try the road from thre Heriones mounment to the waterfall. Lots of land and homes on the east coast as well. West coast land is 2-3 ttimes overpriced.

I have a friend that brought half rai and just finshed his home, total cost less than 6 mil, big pool 3 bedrooms, great views overlooking lock Palm and wants 10 mil for it. BIG yard

MY opinion ( i brought 2 rai in 2000 in Kamala and built my hiome and sold it in 2008) RENT!!!

Edited by phuketrichard

I have a friend that brought half rai and just finshed his home, total cost less than 6 mil, big pool 3 bedrooms,

Got the same in Nai Harn, land is not that big but you can still find good deals if you look around, so dont say its 2-3 times more expensive

save ur money as all homes in Phuket are over priced and the money u invest in buying a home will never be revcovered any more unlike 5 or more years ago)

reason being is they are just building to many.

if u serious, drive around and look, the island is not that big.

Plenty of homes near Lock Palm golf course and the back road over to BIS and that area of Thalang. Try the road from thre Heriones mounment to the waterfall. Lots of land and homes on the east coast as well. West coast land is 2-3 ttimes overpriced.

I have a friend that brought half rai and just finshed his home, total cost less than 6 mil, big pool 3 bedrooms, great views overlooking lock Palm and wants 10 mil for it. BIG yard

MY opinion ( i brought 2 rai in 2000 in Kamala and built my hiome and sold it in 2008) RENT!!!

I am not going to buy a home with the idea of making a profit.

I am well aware that a lot of developers want to make 100% profit on there outlay.

When i buy i wont be paying a inflated price for a house

Buying the right property at its true value, and they are available you just have to look,

will increase in its value over a period of time

You could spend days driving around the island and not find what you want,probably

drive right past a suitable house in a road you missed.

I have one agent looking for what i want, that's how they earn there money

If i cannot find what i want i will build myself and cut out the middle man

and my own back yard

Peter, if you are not in a hurry why not buy the land and build your house to the design you like,

I did and apart from frustrations with the builder ( I can advise you which builder in Rawai not to use)

am very happy with the result and paid a lot less than buying a ready made house of someone elses design.

Have the pool in the front garden, but very private in a quiet country area, which suits me fine.

Good luck.

and my own back yard

Peter, if you are not in a hurry why not buy the land and build your house to the design you like,

I did and apart from frustrations with the builder ( I can advise you which builder in Rawai not to use)

am very happy with the result and paid a lot less than buying a ready made house of someone elses design.

Have the pool in the front garden, but very private in a quiet country area, which suits me fine.

Good luck.

I agree with you mate, We will be bringing back house plans from Australia.

All new estates/subdivisions have builders display homes on them and they are quite happy to supply you

with pamphlets with pictures and house plans.

I am going to call on the main branches of the banks this week to see what they have available.

There are some houses for sale here where the vendors are shifting or have shifted overseas

These people are genuine sellers and are asking a fair negotiable price.

We went to look at one which was good value but the access to the property was not suitable.

Probably building yourself is the only way to go.