Anyone Live In Siwalee (Land And Houses) Muu Baan On Canal Road?

WhiteCadillac

Anyone live in Siwalee (Land and houses) Muu Baan on Canal Road? Near Ton Payom Market and CMU Agricultural section behind the airport.

I am interested in buying a house there. Any experiences? The area seems very nice. Somewhat expensive of course. The muu baan fee per month is a little over 800 baht which seems a little excessive.

Security seems good though and the club house (costs extra) has a very nice pool. They are asking 3.x million for a 3 br 2-story house with a very small plot. The location is pretty good (10 minutes to Nimmanheimin road and 18 to the middle of the moat).

Thoughts?

Edited by WhiteCadillac

That one is being extended; depending on where the house is you may catch some airport noise. But it looks very professional and well manaed. The entrance on the Middle Ring looks like it'll be as magnificent as the entrance to Ankhor Wat at its prime. ;)

That's right. The entrance to that moo baan (Choeng Doi?) is magnificient. That entrance also leads to other yet developed moo baans that are a little closer to the airport than that the one on the canal road.

The one on the canal road was compeleted like 3 years ago or so and has it's own entrance and a small club house. The new Choeng Doi has a big club house complex planned, which 3 or so muubaans are going to use.

The pricess on the new one start about 5 million baht. Rich Bangkok residents are so far the most common customers there according to the sales persons. Muu baan fee is 20 baht per talingwaa (some Thai measurement unit) or about 1600 baht per month per a big house. So the development is a lot more expensive than the average muu baan out here in Chiang Mai,

But anyone here have experiences on the Land and Houses muu baans?

Edited by WhiteCadillac

Based on living in L&H Mae Jo and assuming you get the same quality of life, I definitely would recommend buying there if you like the house and the area.

Our homeowner fees go up to something like 100 baht per talang wah, depending upon the khong khran you live in, so 20/wa2 seems more than reasonable.

Here we have 24 hr security at the main gate and then again at the khong khran gate. Contractors coming to the house are followed by a guard and we have to sign for them. That way no one can come in claiming to do work for us while we are not there.

We have excellent common area maintenance. We have regular house trash and garden trash pick up.

The on site after sales service office doesn't argue about repairs under warranties, provides immediate help in emergencies, and help if finding qualified repair people for all other problems.

We are more than happy we bought here. If you get the same type service there, you will be most likely be glad you bought there. However, I can not comment on airport noise and the effect of that on you.

Edited by noise

Curious what kind of TW pricing these moobaans have, just for reference ??

I am mostly looking at non moobaan land (royal flora / night safari to Samoeng road is appealing to me but $$) but am finding prices for 12000 plus on some plots (and of course I as a farang am not calling) and thats getting pricey if looking for 500 - 800 tw. Found one at 8k but 2 - 2 - 0 size so +- 1000TW.

This pricing sorta surprises me as theres a superb parcel, one of the first I asked about in Ban wan taan that ticks a lot of boxes and thats going to run close to half that and have moobaan advantages. its odd that the first parcel I like, is coming back again and again as being the most fairly priced.

Edited by LivinLOS

Hi WhiteCadillac

I live in this moo baan. We started renting there 4 months ago, renting a 3BR house. 3M sounds reasonable if you get a larger 3RB - they have different sizes and shapes. I wouldn't pay a whole lot more to be honest - but clearly you're paying for the moo baan there.

It's a nice one, too: The swimming pool is nice enough, there's a sauna, and a pretty basic gym, but it's all well maintained.

My criticisms would be: The gardens are way too small. Hang laundry there, and have some greenery to look at, but that's about it. Then again, that seems standard for Thai moo baans. Land's expensive! To make up for that, there's a "park" area in the center of the moo baan - that's nice to take the kids to in the afternoon or mornings.

Having built a house in the north, I am not too impressed with the build quality. It's not falling apart, but the walls are thin as paper and the windows aren't too solid either. The design of our house is very nice - great layout - but it's a bit too small to be perfect. We chose the smaller of two though, so I think there are bigger ones there.

Oh yeah - the most surprising thing, considering that all these houses are pretty nice: No bathtub! There would have been more than enough room to fit a bathtub or two, but we don't have any in the house. The bigger house we looked at also didn't have any. So watch out for that. I never had much use for bathtubs but since we have kids that has changed completely. The kids love the bathtub (in our house in Pai). Our 3 year old would spend hours in there if we let him.

All in all - depending on price, I can recommend this, especially if you want to live there. For renting out, there always seem to be a number of houses empty + for rent, not so sure you could fill it up consistently. That said the house we're in was rented (to us) within a month.

The location is great by the way. Nimman is actually just 5 minutes drive away. And the market is very nice as well, and only 2 minutes.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Off topic a bit but maybe worth throwing into the disucssion.

I'm moving my entire family from Bkk to CM and 12 months ago we did several comprehensive searches for established houses / new developments etc.

One thing I noticed was that several established moo baans' were very large and some quite fragmented into numerous satellite pieces. It went through my mind that it would need some quite detailed planning and well organized activity to maintain all of the roads, footpaths, gardens etc etc., involved.

We went to the office of one such development (a high profile development name, they have built numerous villages) and we got the spiel about: cannot start minimart, cannot have loud noise, yard must be kept clean and not used as a storage facility and lots more.

But in reality we noticed: three minimarts, one full of dogs and cats and filthy dirty, the other two just a little better, at one there was rubbish (old bottles, drink packs, snack packing etc., all over the ground outsude of the shop and it had quite obvuiously been there for along time, numerous yards full of old furniture, derelict cars etc., and one agent told us she wouldn't bother to take us to one house on her list, the owner was selling because of the blaring noise from one of her neighbors, agent mentioned that the seller had approached the development office but they told her that it wasn't their problem, she would have to go to the police which would not be a good idea.

But to be fair I acknowledge that several posters in this thread have mentioned villages where maintenance is excellent.

We have in fact bought a house in the Urbana development (actually owned by Palm Springs). The first couple of phases of this village are almost completed and so far the developers (early days of course) seem to be very professional and very responsive and we are aware that they have very quickly stopped several owners from making extensions to their houses (extensions which would clearly break the 'rules' stipulated in detail in the contract).

Anybody like to please share any overall comments on this subject.