Traffic Rules

Barro

This sounds easy, but infact it is not! I really try to find the really right rules when driving in Thailand: Coming to a road junction. Shall you give way for traffic from left or right? I have many reasons for the question. I normally belong to a right-way-country. But studying different forums you get different answers. That confuses me.

So, a 100 % correct answer, please!

:unsure:

When I was an advanced driving teacher in the UK I used to collect driving manuals (highway codes) from around the world for a friend. I haven't looked into getting one for Thailand (don't drive here) but I might be tempted to stop in one of those little driving schools and ask now my Thai is getting better. I did buy an A4 poster of Thai road signs (curious amalgam of UK and US systems) from, IIRC, one of those book stalls outside Carrefour.

I would have thought the place to buy them otherwise would most likely be a branch of Se-Ed - again I'll take a look next time I'm in there. nangR seuuR gaanM khapL rohtH I'm guessing...

All this is predicated on the idea that such a thing as a Thai Highway Code exists - I've seen no evidence for it in the behaviour of drivers :ph34r:

>This sounds easy, but infact it is not! I really try to find the really right rules when driving in Thailand: Coming to a road junction. Shall you give way for traffic from left or right? I have many reasons for the question. I normally belong to a right-way-country. But studying different forums you get different answers. That confuses me.

Solution- don't study different forums! The give way rules here are the same as any other country driving on lh side of road. However you'll find that in congested areas you'll just have to nudge in and take your chances like everyone else; if you give way you'll be stuck there all day.

priority:

1. Buses (especially those small green ones)

2. Taxis - they rule the roads of Bangkok

3. motorcycles - they may appear from nowhere

4. company owned pickups - they don't give.a dam_n as their bosses aint around.

5. Toyota vigor prerunner of isuzu hilander : always take note of those with really dark tint and lots of stickers.

6. normal sedans ; always give way to whoever with more guts. it's pot luck afterall.

Thanks mates!:wai:

My confusion is now at a higher level!:blink: After been driving for 45 years and only RH, I try my luck on the roads in Thailand. So far I agree upon the most significant advice: Be calm and defensive!:rolleyes: Instead, the codriver (your wife) can be the reciever of the pressure building up inside. Thats perfect, she never miss an opportunity to comment my driving!:annoyed:

Honestly, she is graet and very helpful. Could not drive without her help :wub:

Anyway, the rule for giving way driving LH is, as far I can know, giving way to traffic from the right handside, both in a junction and to traffic inside a roundabout :thumbsup:

Title 6: Driving through Junctions or Circles

Section 71 (500B)

[if, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there's a designation of "principle roadway" in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.]

Section 72

[A principle roadway is announced by the traffic officer and installed with indicative traffic signs.]

Section 73 (500 - 1000B)

[A driver must comply with traffic signals and signs which are installed at a circle (rotary). (1000B)

If there's no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right. (500B)

If the traffic officer deems it appropriate, he may set temporary traffic signals. (1000B)]

Section 74 (500B)

A driver who is driving a vehicle out of a private way or a roadway in a building area, before crossing or turning into the roadway that cuts across, shall stop his vehicle to let the vehicles passing or moving in the roadway through before proceeding upon it being safe.

Source: http://www.bkkriders.com/law/landtraffic.html

This is how I understand that police and insurance companies decide fault on - based on talking to traffic policemen, other Thais and driving here for many years

Who comes first if roads are of same size or same signs - who hits who

"If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there's a designation of "principle roadway" in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way"

Doesn't mean much because there are many intersections where there are equal signs from ALL directions... I don't understand it as the car from the left automatically has right of way in that case - it's who hits who and often also shared responsibility

ทางเอก - taang aek - loosely translated to first road

ทางโท - taang taa - loosely translated to second road

Taang aek is loosely - the bigger, more important road and has priority over taang taa , unless other signs exist

Insurance companies and police interpret it as no sign is needed telling what is the bigger and smaller road. If they come to the intersection where the accident happened, they see no signs and and one road is in their opinion more primary then taang aek - taang taa apply and the car coming on the bigger road wins. I have heard policemen talking about taang aek - taang taa but I have never heard a policeman or any other Thai ever talk about that a car from the left "is right". Definition I have heard is always taang aek, taang taa

Opinions?

I'd like to know too! :whistling:

Me too. :unsure:

Only in practise will you understand how it works, trying to put into words my thoughts but l cannot cos nothing is 100% correct with Thai driving, it's pot luck and hope for the best. :)

In my humble opinion there is only one rule whilst driving in Thailand and that is THERE ARE NO RULES, but hey we love it here so what the hel_l, just drive very caefully and remmember.

This is how I understand that police and insurance companies decide fault on - based on talking to traffic policemen, other Thais and driving here for many years

"If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there's a designation of "principle roadway" in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way"

Doesn't mean much because there are many intersections where there are equal signs from ALL directions... I don't understand it as the car from the left automatically has right of way in that case - it's who hits who and often also shared responsibility

Taang aek is loosely - the bigger, more important road and has priority over taang taa , unless other signs exist

Insurance companies and police interpret it as no sign is needed telling what is the bigger and smaller road. If they come to the intersection where the accident happened, they see no signs and and one road is in their opinion more primary then taang aek - taang taa apply and the car coming on the bigger road wins. I have heard policemen talking about taang aek - taang taa but I have never heard a policeman or any other Thai ever talk about that a car from the left "is right". Definition I have heard is always taang aek, taang taa

Opinions?

discussing who is at fault, I have NEVER heard coming from right or left being mentioned, only taang aek and taang taa. often there are no signs to indicate which is one, except looking at a map. 1 digit roads are bigger than 2 digit roads are bigger than 3 digit roads (all three Highways) are bigger than 4 digit roads are bigger than nonumber local roads are bigger than ANY private road. one should be aware of how many private roads there are in any Tambor. private roads can often be spotted by not having Tessabaan garbage collection

some taang taa has a white stopline painted on concrete/asphalt where entering taang aek

most importantly seems to be who arrives a junction last, must give way to the others, unless he obviously is on taang aek.

and all circles/roundabouts seem to have priority for those already in circle/roundabout, IOW entering vehicles must yield, often indicated by a white stopline

while overtaking, you seem to be responsible to yield if another vehicle manages to squeeze in in front of you, as long as he indicates

and of course the more expensive/upmarket car you have, the less you yield :D In 2007 I had both a Camry and a Yaris, and guess who had the right to way in most situations ;)

my first time in BKK and Pattaya 41 years ago, I wondered why the expensive cars and trucks would all drive in the middle of the road :rolleyes: Now I know

The give way rules here are the same as any other country driving on lh side of road.

That isnt strictly true.. Theres many unique rules that are also inconsistent.

Eg.

Turn left through a Red light. In some cases theres a blue sign saying you can turn left, but does that mean in absence of a blue sign you cannot ?? As I have also seen blue signs saying you cannot so which is the default. I see Thais hesitant and unsure on this rule commonly.

Also at a red light with 2 lanes and 2 lights.. I have one near me, that goes red yellow green for the left lane but just turns all lights off for the right hand when the left hand lane is green but is also green for the opposing traffic. Then later a green light will appear when the opposing traffic is fully stopped by a red. Logic will say that the 'dark' part of the cycle is 'go if clear' but Thais simply wont go through it, even tho theres no red displayed, they wait for the green instruction even if the opposing lane is totally clear.

Theres many small details like this, where I think they simply dont have firm established rules.

Section 71 (500B)

[if, when entering a junction, there are other vehicles, the driver must let such vehicles go through first.

If two vehicles enter a junction from different directions at the same time, the vehicle on the left side has a right of way, except when there's a designation of "principle roadway" in which case the vehicle on the principle roadway has a right of way.]

No wonder roundabouts baffle them..

My confusion is now at a higher level!:blink: After been driving for 45 years and only RH, I try my luck on the roads in Thailand. So far I agree upon the most significant advice: Be calm and defensive!:rolleyes: Instead, the codriver (your wife) can be the reciever of the pressure building up inside. Thats perfect, she never miss an opportunity to comment my driving!:annoyed:

Anyway, the rule for giving way driving LH is, as far I can know, giving way to traffic from the right handside, both in a junction and to traffic inside a roundabout :thumbsup:

You ask for rules but you will find out that rules although there, do not always take place in practice.

I've posted this a few times hope it helps you.

1. This is assuming you have a license.

2. If you have not driven in THAILAND and your not sure, at first go slowly.

3. The best place to be is on the lefthand side of the road, although not all foreigners on bicycles know this.

4. As No.3. but be careful because most people on mopeds what they call motorbikes here do not know this either.

5. Adjust your mirrors so you can see all around you but be prepared to look all around you too. Yoga is recommended.

6. As No.5. but don't trust your mirrors too much ! They come from bleeden everywhere, cars, trucks and motorbikes.

7. Once you have experiance as in No.2. Auto motors are best because unless your on motorway type roads, your be lucky to get into forth.

8. If you think people are using their horn to honk at you, you are probably passing near a Temple or Shrine.

9. At traffic lights be patience because green is not always a colour they like, especially if their on the phone.

10. As No.8. but be prepared for snail type pull aways. i.e. you press an accelerator pedal and it using more fuel.

11. When turning left from a junction look every which way and everywhere as No.6. but go slowly.

12. When turning right as No.11.

13. When turning and facing oncoming traffic when they flash there lights it means " They are coming through and not going to stop ".

14. No.13. is NOT a joke, I do not know about other countries but in the " UK " it means " I'm here ".

15. Many like to drive fast and sometimes overtake you but then slow down.

16. If you have an accident don't automatically think it not your fault even if it wasn't.

17. Ref :- No16. It is best to have an insurance that covers the cost of repairs to your vehicle even if it wasn't your fault.

18. If the car, truck. whatever is in your name don't assume that you own 100% of it if your married.

19. Pump tyres up yourself to the correct p.s.i. otherwise you will be riding on wheels like solid rock. ( Dangerous ).

20. Never assume your car has been serviced correctly, check it yourself or get someone competent to do so if you can find such a person.

Can't think of anything else but Im sure there is.

My little dig is you've been driving on the wrong side of the road for too long.:D

Edited by Kwasaki

Forgot to add one by (ableguy) If driving in BKK carry a few one hundred bhat notes for your friendly police wage collecter.

Opinions?

discussing who is at fault, I have NEVER heard coming from right or left being mentioned, only taang aek and taang taa. often there are no signs to indicate which is one, except looking at a map. 1 digit roads are bigger than 2 digit roads are bigger than 3 digit roads (all three Highways) are bigger than 4 digit roads are bigger than nonumber local roads are bigger than ANY private road. one should be aware of how many private roads there are in any Tambor. private roads can often be spotted by not having Tessabaan garbage collection

some taang taa has a white stopline painted on concrete/asphalt where entering taang aek

most importantly seems to be who arrives a junction last, must give way to the others, unless he obviously is on taang aek.

and all circles/roundabouts seem to have priority for those already in circle/roundabout, IOW entering vehicles must yield, often indicated by a white stopline

while overtaking, you seem to be responsible to yield if another vehicle manages to squeeze in in front of you, as long as he indicates

and of course the more expensive/upmarket car you have, the less you yield :D In 2007 I had both a Camry and a Yaris, and guess who had the right to way in most situations ;)

my first time in BKK and Pattaya 41 years ago, I wondered why the expensive cars and trucks would all drive in the middle of the road :rolleyes: Now I know

Good, let's confirm

There was someone above who posted and thought that coming from the left or the right mattered (as in his home country I suppose), there are probably many who thinks that way as it is fairly normal in Europe, not blaming but putting things right

IMPORTANT

Coming from the left or the right means nothing in this country when deciding who's at fault, please read my and katabeachbums post above

There is no rule giving way to traffic depending on left or right, it's taang aek, taang taa, bigger road, smaller road, unless there are signs or one road is known to be larger regardless of if you know it or not

There is no rule giving way to traffic depending on left or right, it's taang aek, taang taa, bigger road, smaller road, unless there are signs or one road is known to be larger regardless of if you know it or not

my GF got her driving lisence about a year ago. she s been riding bikes since she was a kid, but finally got a lisence, cause I didnt allow her to ride Ninj650R without it. As a passenger in my car a few weeks later she asked me what this triangular sign up side down is for? Yield!!

most thai motorists still do not have a driving lisence, and even if they have, one must suppose they dont know what the yield or stop signs are for

In my humble opinion there is only one rule whilst driving in Thailand and that is THERE ARE NO RULES, but hey we love it here so what the hel_l, just drive very caefully and remmember.

I second this post.

I give way to anyone who looks like they would drive into me .... that's almost all Thais and some foreigners.

Section 71 (500B)

No wonder roundabouts baffle them..

Roundabouts don't baffle them, they still seem to follow the same rule, so that traffic already on the roundabout gives way to vehicles entering.

It baffles me.

my GF got her driving lisence about a year ago. she s been riding bikes since she was a kid, but finally got a lisence, cause I didnt allow her to ride Ninj650R without it. As a passenger in my car a few weeks later she asked me what this triangular sign up side down is for? Yield!!

most thai motorists still do not have a driving lisence, and even if they have, one must suppose they dont know what the yield or stop signs are for

:)

My wife failed her test for motor cycle license, re-took the test and passed although I still can't understand how. 2 - 3 years later, she took the test for car and failed again. I admit it, I am guilty. I recommended her to pay so that she could start to learn... Partly because I didn't allow her to drive the car without license when I wasn't with her and I was being hammered badly every time she drove with me but mainly because it was a suitable long term solution. All solutions in Thailand are not conventional with western eyes... Excellent solution :)

She's scratched corners of the car more times than I have fingers to count but she's actually a pretty good driver now - good end result

And yes, she still doesn't know the meaning of the signs that I haven't pointed out for her :)

• 2 weeks later...

100% answer - not in Thailand.

I think the priority from the LEFT as mentioned above is not correct.

I have been authoritatively informed the OPPOSITE.

Also that roundabouts have a priority to the RIGHT rule.

I'm told the rules of the road come form Japan and UK and follow their logic.

Priority to the left would be extremely dangerous in some circumstances.

I think what is almost certain is that the person or persons responsible for writing the highway code in Thai or English have made a mistake!

however since thwe average driver in Thailand - especially expats - has neither heard of (let alone read) the rules and certainly couldn't care less, driving with an expectation that a rule-book will be adhered to by other road users is a serious failing by that driver.

Driving in Thailand is not a matter of rules but a matter of observation and anticipation.

You will find in the event of a collision that quoting a real or imaginary "rule-book" will far from helping, probably get you into more trouble.

TIT!

• 4 weeks later...

Opinions?

Update

Needed to read up on Thai traffic code, and of course have to share with you guys :D

There are two occasions when left and right decides who has the right of way

1. When two identical rodes cross, IOW both are 3 digit roadnumber and same width (lets say 12 meters), vehicle coming from LEFT has the right of way.

2. In a circle/roundabout, vehicles from RIGHT has the right of way

Except for these two situations

taang aek, big road, rules as above, right to way :)

I believe taang aeks right of way, is partly the reason for drivers of big/heavy trucks and expensive cars feel the right of way ;)

You will find in the event of a collision that quoting a real or imaginary "rule-book" will far from helping, probably get you into more trouble.

TIT!

Most certainly at roundabouts !

You will find that, in the event of a collision, being a Falang will far from helping, probably get you into more trouble !

Section 74 (500B)

A driver who is driving a vehicle out of a private way or a roadway in a building area, before crossing or turning into the roadway that cuts across, shall stop his vehicle to let the vehicles passing or moving in the roadway through before proceeding upon it being safe.

This is the one that gave me the biggest laugh !

They should incorporate "look right and slow down/stop to allow the vehicles in the roadway pass before proceeding" into Section 74 and then:-

a) teach it in schools

B) make it compulsory learning as part of a meaningful test for a motorcy or car licence.

c) Show it in cinemas with 'how to' video just before standing up to pay respects to HM the King.

B) Show it on TV just before 8.00 am and 6.00 pm

Priority from the left is DANGEROUS - it also cannot work.....it demonstrably flawed......

THis was the rule in Europe for some time - (obviously as the driving is on the other side so it is "priority from the right".)

In a situation where no other priority is evident it allows vehicles priority ONTO a junction where they then lose their priority OUT. i.e. everyone gets In and there is no way out.

If you can't follow that, get some toy cars and experiment by drawing a crossroads and a roundabout and play around with them for a while.

In Europe it stemmed from old agricultural vehicles and low speeds and led to the French reputation for deaths at crossroads. They now have almost - but not quite reversed the situation - anyone driving in town in France and neighbouring countries will know what I mean.

However this brings to light one of the REAL causes of road safety failings in Thailand. not the drivers but the traffic engineering - unless the roads are clearly and SCIENTIFICALLY signed and marked, drivers are left to guess what simple things like where the road ends, who has priority, which lane etc etc.If you look at countries with high standards of traffic engineering you'll notice without exception they have low accident rates.

(I note Australia and US both have very poor systems and their RTA rates are really quite poor given the socio-economic factors involved.)

THe European system works extremely well - it is based not on big signs with lots of information, it is a system of subliminal signals that actually elicit reactions from drivers and other road users without the need for any time-consuming reading or lengthy though processes. By that I mean .25 or ,5 of a second or thereabouts.furthermore the road markings distances angles etc of junctions coupled with lane markings male it almost impossible for cars to get into the wrong position at a junction of any kind and facilitate their smooth entry into the traffic - however heavy or fast. All these distances etc are carefully calculated, as is the positioning of ALL road signs - warnings commands or directions.

Most European road users are virtually unaware of the disciplines involved in setting up a roadway, from calculating width camber etc on the road the arc of the bends to the smallest detail, the color of the "cats-eyes" and the reflectiveness of a white line in the wet.

Two observations o this in relation to Thailand - firstly this is not done in Thailand - I have seen virtually no evidence of this not even an attempt at a nationwide universal signage system - anyhow billboards and trees would obscure them anyway.

And secondly - Farang drivers - unlike Thais are so used to having rationally designed junctions and good )or in the case of the US half-good) road signage that when confronted with the mayhem that is Thai motoring are completely unable to cope and write long diatribes on Thaivisa on how bad Thailand's drivers are and how god they themselves are - which is of course not only nonsense but has racist overtones.

Edited by Deeral