Suthep To Return As Thai Deputy PM

webfact

RESHUFFLE

Suthep to return as Deputy PM

By The Nation

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday said he would make a change to his Cabinet soon, reappointing Suthep Thaugsuban as deputy prime minister.

Suthep got the nod from the Election Commission last Tuesday to be an MP after winning a by-election in Surat Thani last month. Abhisit said induction of the deputy prime minister would be the only change. Other coalition parties had not proposed any changes, he said.

Abhisit asserted yesterday that ministers must resign before running in a by-election.

“To prevent criticism that they may benefit [from being ministers] in the election, they should resign, like Suthep did,” he said.

The premier was referring to Deputy Interior Minister Boonjong Wongtrairat and Deputy Transport Minister Kuakul Danchaiwijit, who were disqualified as MPs by the Constitution Court for holding shares in firms with state concessions. The two plan to run in by-elections without resigning from their ministerial posts.

Their parties will announce their opinion on the resignation issue next Monday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-12

What was the result of the EC going after him and those other Dem MPs for allegedly violating the Constitution? The one where he wriggled out of it by resigning as an MP ( but still being Deputy PM chortle ) Were the others banned? Is there still a case for going after him again now he's back as an MP? The mind boggles.

Edited by mca

What was the result of the EC going after him and those other Dem MPs for allegedly violating the Constitution? The one where he wriggled out of it by resigning as an MP ( but still being Deputy PM chortle ) Were the others banned? Is there still a case for going after him again now he's back as an MP? The mind boggles.

Is the recent banning of the 6 MPs the same case as for Suthep? They were banned for similar reasons, but a the EC or CC said that a couple can stay on as ministers and re-run in by-elections. I assume it would have been the same result as for Suthep, but because he had resigned as an MP, it was no longer an issue. I assume he sold the offending shares to be able to run in the recent by-election.

This one was back in 2009 if I recall correctly. Him being part of a media firm that received concessions from the government?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/07/17/politics/politics_30107741.php

for having allegedly violated the charter by having stakes in media firm or companies which have received concessions from the government.

It doesn't say which one applied to Suthep.

Well in the USA presidents cabinet, NO cabinet members are Senators or Congressmen. The sole elected exception is the Vice President who sits in on cabinet meetings, gets a say and votes. But this is precisely so that the VP. is up to speed on all issues, just in case he must take over. He is also President of the Senate a rarely voting tie breaker 101st seat.

The pres. is entitled to hire whom he wishes for his cabinet, subject to senate confirmation for most posts above Deputy Assistant Cabinet Secretary.

So this doesn't seem odd to me at all.

Edited by animatic

Well in the USA presidents cabinet, NO cabinet members are Senators or Congressmen. The sole elected exception is the Vice President who sits in on cabinet meetings, gets a say and votes. But this is precisely so that the VP. is up to speed on all issues, just in case he must take over. He is also President of the Senate a rarely voting tie breaker 101st seat.

The pres. is entitled to hire whom he wishes for his cabinet, subject to senate confirmation for most posts above Deputy Assistant Cabinet Secretary. So this doesn't seem odd to me at all.

But Thailand doesn't have a presidential system but a parliamentary one.

What is Abhisit thinking? a very bad choice and shows lack of judgement

No he just gets back his point man, and main weapon for keeping order back.

If things go bad blame Suthep, if people coalition members act up, send Suthep.

Want to make Chaing mai people pissed off rehire Suthep.

Like him or not, he fills the position perfectly.

The pres. is entitled to hire whom he wishes for his cabinet, subject to senate confirmation for most posts above Deputy Assistant Cabinet Secretary. So this doesn't seem odd to me at all.

But with the same rule that they need not all be MP's to sit in the cabinet.

And an added rule that they CAN be MPs.

Edited by animatic

What is Abhisit thinking? a very bad choice and shows lack of judgement

I absolutely agree with you - Suthep has in a recent poll received the " honor" of being the most "dishonest" politician in Thailand - even a scoundrel like Newin was trailing behind him - I am not sure if Abhisit gives a dam_n about public opinion or if he is blind and deaf .

This shows that Abhisit is clearly not in charge otherwise he would not reappoint Suthep. Or he is simply to inexperienced and naive - not to say stupid - to understand the message the Thai people are sending him?

I have never met any Thai who likes Suthep - to say the least - most tell me he is the impersonation of whats wrong with Thai politicians - a manipulating, cheating, lying, corrupt to the core - dirty, rotten scoundrel!

Or as a Thai friend of mine puts it "if I see Suthep on TV and he starts talking - I quickly switch to another channel before I get sick and start to throw up"

But Abhisit doesn't seem to care - he just has to do what his masters tell him and is deaf to the wishes of the Thai people.

The Thais in general admire strong men, and Suthep fits that mold.

In the context of cradle to grave corruption and power mongering

as a active lifetime fact of life for all Thais, he is not unusual,

just not trusted.

Also :

Where was this poll taken?

How many people were asked and what questions?

Polls of small numbers and narrowed locations and demographics,

can be made to take on what ever preconceived notions

those that 'commissioned the poll' could wish it to have.

This was clearly a politically motivated poll, not coincidentally

coming just before Suthep is, as expected, reappointed.

As I said above Suthep fits to a needed position,strong arm and

negotiator for his boss. His job isn't to be trusted, but to get dirty jobs done,

and take heat personally. He clearly doesn't care what his enemies say

about him, he just acts as the situations demand.

Edited by animatic

just not trusted.

Also :

negotiator for his boss. His job isn't to be trusted, but to get dirty jobs done,

with respect you are so 'yellow' it's embarrasing - I have no idea why you are so 'establishment' but, well, you are

just not trusted.

Also :

with respect you are so 'yellow' it's embarrasing - I have no idea why you are so 'establishment' but, well, you are

With respect, but you state rather than explain, dear ChiangMaiFun. Absolute truths are only obvious for those who believe in them. This needs to be explained to us, poor mortal souls

I absolutely agree with you - Suthep has in a recent poll received the " honor" of being the most "dishonest" politician in Thailand

Where did Chalerm come out in the poll?

I have never met any Thai who likes Suthep

You should visit Surat Thani and ask a few out of the overwhelming majority that just voted him into Parliament in a landslide.

Edited by Buchholz

just not trusted.

Also :

Look at the signature for that particular poster. The Dems are the least left-wing option ;):cheesy: .

Sometimes there is a good arguement for appointing an unelected but highly qualified technocrat as a minister. The cut and thrust of poltics can people well qualified people out of it. Im sure if Korn was not an MP few would complain of him being given a financial or business portfolio for example. However, pure poltical appointees are questionable although Thailand is far from unique in this.

The UK has had unelected ministers although I do believe they have to be made a lord first (Alan Sugar?). In mid-2009 there were apparently 7 such: Mandelson, Adonis, Malloch-Brown, Drayson, Scotland, Royall, Kinnock. Not exactly technocrats either. There is at least one in the current cabinet too.

just not trusted.

Also :

Other than the fact I am not Red, I am not yellow.

I post an plausible explanation of why he is likely back in the job,

and why that poll is questionable at best, and you throw attempted insults.

I might appear establishment for the simple reason that encouraging a path that leads to revolution, is a very dangerous and stupid act, and I see graduated change as a better, safer path for Thailand and the grass roots people. I am also no longer saddled with the excessive propaganda campaigns of the north, in my face, skewing a clear viewing of the situations.

Oh and your ad hominum attack on me didn't win your argument.

'With respect"; well that part really seems missing.

Edited by animatic