Makro Pattaya, Two Basic Questions

Jingthing

There is always at least one Baht Bus waiting on the far left of the covered over car park area walking toward the main doors.

No costs to join, you sign up and one week later get a plastic card. In the interim you get a slip from the desk and present that to the cashier when she checks out. No qualifications, no money no company reg, nothing that I could see.

You need to take your own bags with you or buy one of theirs as they don't supply any.

Like your new Avatar :)

I've always went there on a motorcycle. My friends have a car. So, I've never noticed taxis waiting at the door like Tesco. Maybe they are out in the parking area like Big C. For sure you should be able to get a taxi on Sukhumvit.

I've noticed you mentioned on other posts, that you are from the Jomtien area. There are no taxis (baht buses) that go there from Jomtien. You would have to charter one to take you to Makro. Similar to the early days of Tesco before baht buses went up and down Thepprasitt. You could probably ask the baht bus to wait for you to shop and take you back when finished, since it's a charter.

Makro is not like a membership store in the US. There are no fees or membership requirements. The only thing is, that they will only accept cash. No credit cards. So take plenty of cash to cover your purchases.. I've also never noticed any ATM's outside or around the the doors.

I've never spent much time outside. I just go in, get what I want and leave immediately.

Edited by BB1950

I've been shopping there regularly for the last few months but haven't even thought of applying for membership. They always say something about it at the checkout but when I say "no have", or similar, they are not bothered, just key in some code and serve me as normal. Don't know about baht buses as I always take the car.

Yes there are taxi buses outside but they are the same as Tesco etc - fookin expensive !!.

Sign in at the service desk when you go in the main doors, you will get a temporary green coloured card, no ID or anything required, a few days later your real Red/Black card will be ready for collection at the same desk just give them your green/white one. After signing with them you will get the Makro Mail sent to your home address, i think weekly just now - all the up to date offers, well worth keeping an eye on some stuff!

The only thing is, that they will only accept cash. No credit cards. So take plenty of cash to cover your purchases.. I've also never noticed any ATM's outside or around the the doors.

I've never spent much time outside. I just go in, get what I want and leave immediately.

ATM's out side the building and Yes they do accept credit cards.....:whistling:

The only thing is, that they will only accept cash. No credit cards. So take plenty of cash to cover your purchases.. I've also never noticed any ATM's outside or around the the doors.

ATM's out side the building and Yes they do accept credit cards.....:whistling:

Anytime we have been to Makro It's cash only.

Macro told me to bring my passport to get the ID but it is just as easy not to have another card in my wallet & just go to the front desk when coming into the store & ask for the day pass. looks like lots of ways to get home from Macro.

Macro told me to bring my passport to get the ID but it is just as easy not to have another card in my wallet & just go to the front desk when coming into the store & ask for the day pass. looks like lots of ways to get home from Macro.

wife took a copy of my passport and got me a card. once in a while i too shop at Makro. e.g. excellent norwegian smoked salmon and lamb leg.

I've been doing most of my shopping at Makro for about 5 months now, and I think it's a great place. They stock San Miguel Light in cans at 750 Baht a case, which is a fair nit cheaper than buying the bottles. Also, they somehow get around the 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM no alcohol sales law. So unlike Tesco Lotus, there's no rush to get there by 1:30 to buy my weekly beer ration. The fruit and veg section is MUCH cheaper than Tesco Lotus (e.g. red peppers 97 Baht/kg in Makro, 145 Baht/kg in Tesco), and they don't run out of basics like potatoes, onions and tomatoes, unlike the aforementioned supermarket. Be warned though, you need to price compare carefully as not everything is cheaper here than in Tesco. Also many items can only be bought in bulk - well, it IS a cash and carry, so it's not surprising.

I have a motorbike and Thai-style sidecar, for which I must thank the greedy taxi vultures at Tesco Lotus. :lol: If they hadn't increased their fares to 200 Baht for the short hop back to Jomtien Complex I would probably never have had the incentive to get myself some cheap transport. Now not only can I shop when and where I want without getting angry about rip-off taxis, but it's great just for roaming around the back streets where you would never go without your own transport.

I asked about membership, and they wanted to see my passport. So I asked what the benefits were, and as far as I could make out if you spend more than 10K Baht in a month you get a free coffee and cake in the cafe there, or something like that. It struck me as not being worth it, especially as my home beer consumption hasn't yet quite reached 10K Baht/month. :rolleyes: Anyway, they now scan a temporary card whenever I check out, so if you keep the receipts and spend enough in a month, you can presumably still get your free beverage if you really want to.

Also, they somehow get around the 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM no alcohol sales law. So unlike Tesco Lotus, there's no rush to get there by 1:30 to buy my weekly beer ration.

Im guessing you purchase 2 boxes at a minimum as they defnately have the limit in place as I was there yesterday and I could not purchase a single bottle of Scotch, was told If I wanted I need to purchase a min of 10lts.

10lts normally isn't a problem as I would grab a box of beer or two as well....... what is a problem is SML bottles are 30b per box dearer than the my local wholesaler who delivers to my door.

Also, they somehow get around the 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM no alcohol sales law. So unlike Tesco Lotus, there's no rush to get there by 1:30 to buy my weekly beer ration.

Im guessing you purchase 2 boxes at a minimum as they defnately have the limit in place as I was there yesterday and I could not purchase a single bottle of Scotch, was told If I wanted I need to purchase a min of 10lts.

10lts normally isn't a problem as I would grab a box of beer or two as well....... what is a problem is SML bottles are 30b per box dearer than the my local wholesaler who delivers to my door.

You can buy anytime of day in Tesco too if you purchase 10L or more.

You can buy anytime of day in Tesco too if you purchase 10L or more.

Yes I Know, BigC and Carrefour as well, hel_l even the 7/11 too !!

Iam saying that Makro also enforces this law as well for purchases under 10lts.