Which Is The 3Rd World Country?

thaimite

After watching the documentary "Britain's Trillion Pound Horror Story" last night (available from all good torrent sites!) I decided to look at a few facts. sourced from here

Country - Debt - Debt per head - Debt % GDP

UK - 9,088,000,000,000 - 147,000USD - 416%

USA - 13,450,000,000,000 - 43,750USD - 98%

Thailand - 66,300,000,000 - 990USD - 25%

So my question is Why is Thailand classed as a 3rd world country!

I am of course referring to the general understanding of the term "3rd world country" which bares no relationship to the original (non derogatory term as described here

Edit

Original data posted as a table which was totally corrupted when viewing

Edited by thaimite

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my question is Why is Thailand classed as a 3rd world country!

First of all, if you ask a question based on economical factors, you're likely to get an answer in those terms (which is exactly what you will get if you google, for instance wikipedia, like you already did).

The simple truth is that Thailand may have a low dept per head and also a low dept of GDP%, but is still completely dependant on external investments. There are a whole lot of companies who has placed their manufacturing in Thailand, and this is what drives the Thai economy. So whatabout domestic ownership? Very low. Most industrial countries owns, designs and engineer products, but a huge majority of these products are manufactured abroad, for instance in Thailand. Prophits are concentrated to the countries where ownership is based, this is also where the massive company tax is paid. Not in Thailand.

So to answer your question, Thailand is a third world country because they dont have a self sustained economy, they rely entirely on external investments. If these were to be moved elsewhere, the Thai economy would take a massive blow, resulting in extreme poverty. You would think it cant get much worse, especially after a couple of trips to Isaan, but trust me, if the Thai baht continues to strengthen against the Euro and Dollar, we WILL see production start moving out and then the concept of "3rd world country" will be easy to detect.

Good point. I reckon the 1st World is becoming the new 3rd World ... mounting debt, unemployment, limited industrial output, corrupt politicians and a useless police force only interested in raising cash from motorists ..... but that 's why most of us on this forum no longer live in the UK.

Good point. I reckon the 1st World is becoming the new 3rd World ... mounting debt, unemployment, limited industrial output, corrupt politicians and a useless police force only interested in raising cash from motorists ..... but that 's why most of us on this forum no longer live in the UK.

If you dont like it, then Leave!

Oh, You already did! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Look at all the social security/pension/benefits that people can get in the USA and UK.

Then try looking for the same in Thailand............... :bah:

According to the documentary named above the UK has one of the worst healthcare systems in the world , which is why medical tourism to places like Thailand is so popular.

I believe the Thai extended family is a much better way of taking care fo the sick and elderly, with the addition of a basic heathcare for those in genuine eed

Being bankrupt and being a third world country are not the same thing. In fact it seems you have to be a developed nation in order to rack up debt like that.

The term third world is no longer used by the way, but banana republic is a good way to describe Thailand as far as the way they get things done here.

The simply answer to your question OP is .... Thailand.

If you live in Thailand take a look around how people live and the general upkeep of the place. Then go to the UK or the USA have alook around there at the general up keep of the place. Then you wont need to ask stupid questions.

Look at the state Thailand

Look at all the social security/pension/benefits that people can get in the USA and UK.

According to the documentary named above the UK has one of the worst healthcare systems in the world , which is why medical tourism to places like Thailand is so popular.

I believe the Thai extended family is a much better way of taking care fo the sick and elderly, with the addition of a basic heathcare for those in genuine eed

Again you are just talking rubbish. Where is your wife from ?? I can already take a guess at what part of thailand she is from. It sounds like her family have got to you good.

Not only has his wifes family got him paying for everyones health care but they have got him thinking its a great idea. Please dont tell me you are in favour of the ' extended farang family' taking care of the sick buffalo's to ? :whistling:

Who needs health insurance when there are farangs like you around.

Wake up and fast Thaimite

You might be folling him soon... I am told by a little birdy in Bangkok you dont quite live the 'thai lifestyle' yourself. Does your wife even have her feedom to go out on her own yet or do you still not trust her ??? :jap:

Edited by dansat

You might be folling him soon... I am told by a little birdy in Bangkok you dont quite live the 'thai lifestyle' yourself. Does your wife even have her feedom to go out on her own yet or do you still not trust her ??? :jap:

I dont know what you are on about, But I was joking to the fact he can leave the UK if he dont like it! and the same as me, he already did :D

I dont live a Thai lifestyle, you are correct. I live an Expat lifestyle in Thailand.

Sadly you're probably right thaimite. The NHS, once the envy of the world, now a joke. Not brought down to its knees by being a crap way of doing things more by mismanagement and abuse. RIP NHS.

As for Thai extended family being a good system, Well that a non-starter there only so many gullible farang to go around to make it whole thing work.

Edited by Tonto21

If the OP takes a bit more time to search out critical reviews of the program he gets his 'facts' from he might find they are not as solid as the program's producer would have viewers believe.

Which then raises the question what motivates the producer to pass inaccurate statistics off as 'fact' - for that you need to examine the producer and his political background.

Meanwhile, the rest of us can weigh up one documentary by a politically motivated producer presenting hightly disputed (and sensationalized) data as fact against the day to day reality of living and working in Thailand.

The Uk has one of the worst healthcare systems ahhahahahahaahahahahh very funny Im sure most Thais would welcome a UK system.

But it ain't free for a Alien.:rolleyes:

Sadly you're probably right thaimite. The NHS, once the envy of the world, now a joke. Not brought down to its knees by being a crap way of doing things more by mismanagement and abuse. RIP NHS.

As for Thai extended family being a good system, Well that a non-starter there only so many gullible farang to go around to make it whole thing work.

Quote " Which is why medical tourism to places like Thailand is so popular " for the rich maybe, jesu !! what a brainwave.

l disagree with both of you l do not know where you get your incorrect information about the UK health service, it is still OK if you use it correctly.

If you just go there with a runny nose or something that can wait what you expect, private hospital treatment, get real will you, you miss the point about the word " Patient ".

It's not as good as it use to be for obvious reasons because many ponce's from other countries have come into England or been allow to stay there and <deleted> the f " ing thing up apart from other issues.

To the Op,

I like TV programmes and I watched the same one as you did.

Where they are useful is in rendering things in perspective or perhaps keeping things simple. I liked the egg cup coming out of the bath filling with water. I like a concept like the entire income tax of the USA does not cover their defense budget. It wasnt in the film that fact but it is true and puts things in perspective.

It wakes one up but unfortunately they choose and manipulate their figures. So that GBP4.8trn is total garbage and to the extent it is not, it is relative to your other figures.The actual figure is about GBP1.0trn. The balance is made up on things like pensions. If you move pension liabilities to 80 the numbers will rapidly fall. Same applies to medical health. Seriously if assume that people live to 100 then every country in the world is bankrupt. If you believe you are paying social security to provide for your pension in the future you are delusional.

And seriously things are changing in this world. People need to start getting their priorities right. If the debate in the

UK is spending GBP200m a year defending 2000 in the Falklands, they have missed the point. Your social security simply pays for existing pensioners not yours. If you wish to spend GBP5000 a year each protecting the world from the invading forces of the the Taleban and Al Queda as well as tghe french go for it.

Bottom line is that Thailand is not a third world country unless you dont know the meaning of a non-existent fourth. And to me it is as good as a decling first world country but that is simply my perspective.

I did not like that programme because it made the solution to the UK's problems as simple as cutting all the taxes. I genuinely do think there is a simple solution. Brits are not stupid if there was one, I do believe we would have found one. It is very easy to point out the problems it is incredibly arrogant top think you know the answers when clearly noone else does.

i didn't read any of this thread but in case no one answered the question correctly, it's Thailand.

You are right. Its just a another thread for another Farang who for some unknown reason wants to prove how ' Thai' he is and how much he wants to become a Thai :rolleyes:

Why they bother i dont know. unpopular at school i would say.. just need to be loved here becuase they werent in there own country ... keep dreaming guys.