Thanksgiving Dinner

jayjay0

The Garden (across from the Inter Inn) was excellent and inexpensive.

I have to admit that I wondered how they would do with out Hamburger Mike helping out - I only found out today that he had to fly back home - but the large portion of real roasted turkey was moist and delicious, the mash potatoes were great with real giblet gravy, and the pumpkin pie was good as well.

The fresh mixed vegetables might have been stir-fried - I am not sure - but they were good too and the atmosphere is really nice as is the quick, friendly service.

It is not a big, lavish dinner like some places, but it is good and filling I was not in the mood for a big, fancy dinner today. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ulysses G.

RTD got himself stuffed with turkey n duck and all the fixings with a bunch of friends at a private party. You can't beat having local friends with whom to create a sense of 'family' here.

Did also speak to a friend on my way back into town though, and she chowed down with her parents - in town at the moment - and they went to the Holiday Inn Buffet. Heard it was 600B/ person. That's a hefty price, but she went on and on about the turkey, the lamb, the sushi, the Thai food, the cheeses, the salads, the desserts, and various other things I can't remember. It sounded really great. I still haven't eaten there in the few years it's been the HI. I've seen the buffet when meeting friends there and it looked super-phat. Anybody still do the 'locals card' and go there for the weekend buffet ? I'm thinking I'd like to splurge sometime n go dig in.

Bake & Bite did a fantastic job as usual. The turkeys were perfectly cooked as was the ham. The stuffed pork roll was a welcome addition and was delicious. Stuffing, potatoes, sweet potatoes, mushroom soup, numerous vegetables, breads and cranberry sauce topped too. Of course I had to try the pumpkin pie, apple pie, pumpkin cheese cake and chocolate mousse. 450 baht per person was a great deal and my party of 17 went home happy and full. Thank you again Khun Gai!

I was invited to my first thanksgiving dinner last night. As a Brit, it's not something celebrated back home at all and I have to say that we ought to adopt this tradition!

I had a fantastic meal with friends and made lots of new friends too. It was a big party to cater for and the food was fantastic.

I'm hoping I'm lucky enough to attend such an event next year now

As a Brit. don't celebrate this one. But when you are invited by friends whom you know to be superb cooks, what does one do? Accept of course! Oh my they really put all the hotels/restaurants I've frequented, to shame.

It was a really great meal and now I don't have to eat for probably the next 3 days!

Our dinner at Duke's was one big disappointment, see my comments under the Duke post.

Wish I had NOT been there!

Hmm...that's too bad...because I had dinner at the Dukes (east side of the river) and it was great. Actually, I had an earlier dinner at Art Cafe, which was very disappointing indeed.

Better luck next time!

I have had Thanksgiving around town at a couple places over the years actually. Art cafe is pretty generous and on the cheap side price-wise....but for taste n atmosphere, only did it once. The owner's a nice guy, love some of his products from the store behind Tesco... but holiday meals there is a one-off for me. Been to Bake n Bite too. Kai does a good job and means well. She's also so friendly. But for my tastes, though you get plenty and her food is better than other place sin town, it's still too bland. It seems to me to suffer from what Farang food often does in the hands of Thais - it's not Thai food, Farang don't like 'spicy' (when actually most of us prefer not too hot, but like spices and FLAVOR!), so let's make it as plain and bland as possible Farang like food with almost no taste. This is not correct of course, but this is all too often the case with our food in their hands. It's a shame, as many THais I know, when they have my version, or other friends' versions of our native foods, are surprised by how rich and tasty they can be.

......To balance that rant out, I will say, what Farang do to Thai food is quite scary as well!

Ordered a cooked turkey and gravy from Rim Ping, the branch near the river. Hubby went to pick it up and had a scare when he asked about turkey for Khun Nancy and they lead him to the frozen turkeys. He got it straightened out and they had a nice cooked one, with my name written on the wrapper, in Thai. They sent it home with him in a nice insulated foam box. We also ordered a "pecan pie" from them and it looked fantastic, but turned out to be more of a pecan tart, ie. a fairly-thin layer of a bland cake with the pecans placed on top of the cake. It was good, but not exactly pecan pie. I was able to find fresh Royal Project cranberries at Rim Ping earlier in the week and made the best cranberry sauce we've ever had.

We had dinner at home with friends who supplied the rest of the fixings. All in all, a very pleasant afternoon and, unlike dining in a restaurant, I get to keep the turkey carcass to make some great soup next week.

For just a straight holiday dinner - without a load of extras - Bake and Bite is one of the best in town - IMHO - and tastes pretty much just like mom made it back home.

When it come to baked goods, she is shooting for the best possible product at the most reasonable price and most of her products are fine. However, sometimes I prefer to pay more for the more expensive chocolate and so forth, so hit other places for certain products as well. :thumbsup:

As a note. The Duke's served up 75 discounted dinners in The Night Bazaar store for kids from Payap University. On the river we served 50 free meals to the kids and staff from the Abba Foundation Shelter. Besides that we served another 320 meals. Today The Duke's served up 80 discounted dinners to college age kids from the US here doing something or other. The Duke's sends food to The Lanna Dog Rescue and Thanksgiving sees them eating very well. Tonight everyone is getting free pie till it runs out and eating big turkey sandwiches and Prime Rib sandwiches. The meal this year was the best that it has ever been and the turkey was delicious along with everything that went with it. Thanks Chiang Mai for making Thanksgiving a big success this year.

<br>As a note. The Duke's served up 75 discounted dinners in The Night Bazaar store for kids from Payap University. On the river we served 50 free meals to the kids and staff from the Abba Foundation Shelter. Besides that we served another 320 meals. Today The Duke's served up 80 discounted dinners to college age kids from the US here doing something or other. The Duke's sends food to The Lanna Dog Rescue and Thanksgiving sees them eating very well. Tonight everyone is getting free pie till it runs out and eating big turkey sandwiches and Prime Rib sandwiches. The meal this year was the best that it has ever been and the turkey was delicious along with everything that went with it. Thanks Chiang Mai for making Thanksgiving a big success this year.<br>

Excellent post. I'm glad to see that somebody remembered what the tradition of Thanksgiving is - giving thanks (with plenty of emphasis on 'giving') . I'm a Brit but I can remember the British equivalent as a young lad - Harvest Festival. A time to give thanks for a bountiful harvest.I think we even took food to school to donate to 'the poor'. Count your blessings and all that sort of stuff. Judging by some of the comments here, some people have completely forgotten that this is a time of celebration, reflection, thanks and giving. If you are out with good friends celebrating a good time then good food certainly adds to the occasion but if you are truly enjoying yourself the food becomes incidental. Here endeth today's sermon.

Edited by thinkinofstayin

Well there may not be other opinions but so far the consensus is it is best at home in the cmpany of friends.

Not exactly what I expected but on the whole even better. Bottom line there is no place like home and being with friends makes it even better.:jap: