Pattaya Jetskis

sharecropper

one way to stop it 100% people dont hire them, but whislt people still hire and sign to say they will pay for any damage done they will get scammed. its there on the contract, it then becomes a civil. nobody hires nobody gets scammed

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't the mayor have a meeting 2 months ago where they agreed that all accidents would now have to have police involved AND they would have to go to a decided repair shop at a fair price? He even made a point to write about it on his worthless facebook page.

Seriously, why do they even bother making an effort here if no one can follow through with anything?

But there is no shortage of photos of him around town. Everywhere you look is a photo of this guy. What does he actually do besides be a pretty face?

• 4 weeks later...

The fun never stops! Not even in Jomtien!

My buddy played the good sameritan today in soi3 Jomtien after witnessing some Italians being "taken for a ride"<_< . They were shown a "dent" at the bottom and asked to pay more and my buddy intervened. Shouting and threatening ensued and the italians went to the police but it was hard as their English was poor. Makes you wonder where the tourist police are when you need 'em :rolleyes:

Edited by BugJackBaron

The Tourist Police ain't gona help you.

Went to the beach in the late afternoon 4.30 yesterday for the first time in a while.

The scamming is Full on again, in half an hour around Mikes I saw 4 scams in progress!!

2 Jap looking guys sat on chairs on the prom

A European and his Thai GF seated on the beach

2 groups of Indians one in each of the first umbrella coved areas either side of Mikes.

It really got me angry I didn't go any further along the beach but I bet it was going on all the way down to WS.

Our favorite Tourist police cop turned up to deal with the japs ( the one with the tash) while he was there talking to them there was shouting and intimidation going on either side with the Indians,

He seemed oblivious so I went and had a word with him pointing out the other 3 scams going on around him asking why he comes here every day to scam tourists why the police cannot do their job and arrest the scammers. I answered the question for him MONEY I said.

He didn't seen too phased chuckling he responded oh 4 jet ski have problem oh dear.

I told a few of the scammers what I thought of them and left.

Now all this was all probably a bad idea but I have had enough seeing this going on every day.

Really its time to take action this scum needs taking down.

Unbelivable that this can go on such a scale for so long in plain sight for all to see and NOTHING is done.

Edited by Rimmer

I saw 3 scams happening at the same time yesterday, at the same place (Wednesday) late afternoon. Opposite Mike's shopping north side. I noticed one thing about the jetski owners: most are related. I heard them referring to each other as cousin, uncle nephew when addressed.

Scam 1: Indians sitting trying to negotiate a way out. Looked like 3 or 4 of them involved.

Scam 2: Two arib's and a filipino lady. Thery all spoke very good english were adimently denying any damage. (photo attached and all of the scammers were taking orders from the thai girl in the center of the photo wearing all black clothes, I guess she is the owner)

Scam 3: Three young aribs, 2 of whom actually did slightly bump the jetski's together when coming back to shore. They all 3 walked away without a very long argument and seemed not to pay. One of the owners followed them down beach road and then gave up. I guess they were too busy with the other 2 scams in progress.

While this was going on, a "Marine Patrol" officer showed up and asked the owners to show the jetski papers. After checking the paperwork he left shortly after, full well knowing what was going on but did not do anything to mediate or talk to any of the tourists.

post-72597-0-52109000-1310668475_thumb.j

Scams still going on this week near mikes and royal garden only way to stop them is a total ban .

yes .. was watching them fleece a japanese group for 14,000 bt a few dats ago .. police came and got them down from whatever they were askign to the 14k .. repairs would of cost no more than a couple of 1000 bt .. slight scratch on 2 jets where they rubbed togheter

i am not there right now but the 3 guys (in white blue and black shirts) i have photographed many times. I know them even with back to camera i have seen them so often.

they must be the unluckiest renters in the whole of Thailand their customers are always crashing :whistling:

last trip i thought there had been a reduction in activity but it looks like they are back to their old ways. Late afternoon is the most risky time of the day to rent as I guess most of the lackies are paid daily so why pay out of your own pocket when you can rip off a few tourists and get them to pay for everything and a nice fat wedge on top. Groups are generally preferred as it's easier to keep 1 or 2 on the beach while others go looking for funds and groups have access to more bank cards between them. I never once saw violence break out myself but the threat of it is always implied........along the lines of "pay me or pay hospital more".

just walk along the coconut bar late afternoon and look for falangs sitting in the deck chairs with a group of thais beside them and a rental agreement on the table and you have a scam going down.

and for your own safety do the observation discreetly and do not get involved

One post has been edited, further posts naming public figures will be removed and the poster going on a long holiday.

No need to delete, everyone knows ____________________ is involved in this scam and so is his ____________________ and _____________________.

:ph34r:

Wow, there are 103,184 views on the older jet ski video at youtube.

Hopefully that is 103,184 people who will never rent a jet ski.

That's a LOT of eyes on Pattaya and this scam.

Very disapointing when all these photo shots in newspapers showing that something will be done a few months back but no reports since from any media or government authorities saying what has been done.

But plenty of reports saying the scams are still occuring daily :(

Any media who read this forum prepared to follow up on their stories ?

Very disapointing when all these photo shots in newspapers showing that something will be done a few months back but no reports since from any media or government authorities saying what has been done.

But plenty of reports saying the scams are still occuring daily :(

I think that makes it pretty obvious who is running it all or at least getting a huge payoff.

Meeting Feb 2007

Tourists complain over jet-ski charges

Narisa Nitikarn

Tourist complaints that jet-ski operators were overcharging them resulted in a meeting in late January between Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh and the operators from all three beach areas, namely Pattaya, Jomtien and Koh Larn.

http://www.pattayamail.com/707/news.shtml#hd4

April 2008

Governor Pracha cracks down on unruly jet-ski operators

Australian Ambassador complains to Ministry of Interior

Sawittree Namwiwatsuk

Chonburi Governor Pracha Taerat is leading an initiative to clamp down on the dangerous activities of jet-ski operators, following pressure from the Ministry of Interior.

A meeting organized by Governor Pracha on April 4 at Banglamung district public hall, which included Pattaya City permanent secretary Sittiprap Muangkoom and Banglamung district chief Mongkol Thamakittikhun, discussed the zoning proposals with more than 70 jet-ski operators.

http://www.pattayamail.com/767/news.shtml#hd17

March 2010

Another tourist beaten by rouge jet ski vendors city promised to clean up

Boonlua Chatree

Government officials in Phuket may have clamped down on renegade jet ski operators after being embarrassed worldwide by a British television series, but in Pattaya scammers are still trying to extort money from tourists for alleged damage and beating them up when the victims refuse to pay.

Sunday, 24 April 2011

Justice Ministry, Chonburi governor join fray over Pattaya jet skis

, Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome called in jet ski vendors to meet with city and police officials April 12, warning them that the Pattaya City Council wants to ban all jet skis on Pattaya Beach and that foreign media are now watching their every move.

2 The Justice Ministry, he added, became involved after seeing Internet videos of law enforcement officers helping vendors who falsely claim their customers damaged jet skis, then demand tens of thousand of baht in compensation, sometimes physically assaulting those who refuse to pay.

Ministry officials, Itthiphol said, called the situation an “insult” to the image of the entire country and believe swift action is needed to resolve a “serious problem.”

Itthiphol has been inundated with complaints from non-Thais about the jet ski problem since the Pattaya Mail posted videos and links to reports of the scams to his Facebook page earlier this year.

Since then, dozens of new reports, photos and movies have been added, all showing the same thing: Jet ski vendors are systematically targeting mostly non-Western tourists for ripoffs. And, photos show, they are getting a handful of corrupt police officers and non-Thai “interpreters” to help them.

4 April 2011

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/justice-ministry-chonburi-governor-join-fray-over-pattaya-jet-skis-2849

March 2011

TAT begins planning 2012 marketing strategy

Pattaya officials express concern over jet ski scams

Pratchaya Kerdthong

Local Tourism Authority of Thailand officials have begun laying out marketing plans for 2012, but its overseas efforts could be hampered by the growing jet ski scandal at home.

Deputy Mayor Verawat Khakhay says the ongoing jet ski problem will hurt tourism if it is not solved immediately.

At a Feb. 28 Pattaya Business & Tourism Association meeting, TAT Pattaya Director Niti Kongkrut said Brazil and Australia are among Pattaya’s new target markets for potential visitors with “high purchasing power.” At the same time, TAT wants to put more resources into further marketing the city to Russia, India and China.

“Analyses done in Bangkok show that Brazil, China and Russia have strong purchasing power due to continued growth in their economies,” Niti said. “Together with the private sector, we will use this data to make a marketing plan for 2012 that will yield the greatest benefit.”

http://pattayamail.com/919/news11.shtml

Mayor declares war on scamming Pattaya jet ski vendors

Thursday, 17 March 2011From Issue Vol. XIX No. 11By Pratchaya Kerdthong and Bob James

:)

Itthiphol drafts new rules, recruits informants online, tells vendors ‘I know your game’

After months of non-stop complaints about purported rip-offs, Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome personally warned Pattaya Beach jet ski vendors their “cards have been marked” and finally moved to write new laws to regulate their operation.

Making a surprise, plainclothes visit to Pattaya Beach last week, Itthiphol intercepted a number of the jet ski operators allegedly scamming tourists out of hundreds of thousands of baht weekly for non-existent damage to the water craft and served notice he’d had enough.

“I know your game and your cards have been marked,” Itthiphol, writing on his online Facebook page, said he told the jet ski vendors.

Mayor Itthipol makes a firsthand inspection of the jet ski activities on the beach. http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/mayor-declares-war-on-scamming-pattaya-jet-ski-vendors-2140

June 2011

British embassy officials quiz city, legal officials on problems facing U.K. nationals

Representatives from the British embassy called on top city, law enforcement and immigration officials to gauge how the government is responding to concerns of the area’s more than 5,000 United Kingdom nationals.

British Consul Michael Hancock and embassy Director of Trade and Investment Bradley Jones met with Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome and heads of the Pattaya Tourist Police and Chonburi Immigration Office during a tour of the area June 3.

(L to R) Mayor Itthiphol Kunplome, British Consul Michael Hancock and Director of Trade and Investment Bradley Jones talk about British citizens in Pattaya.

Hancock quizzed the mayor on how the city was protecting British investors and solving problems often cited by visitors to the embassy, such as ongoing scams with jet ski rentals and beach erosion. He also gathered information on Pattaya’s push to develop the city as a more-family-friendly tourist destination.

As for the jet ski issue, the city has yet to make any arrests but is still working toward a solution, he said.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/british-embassy-officials-quiz-city-legal-officials-on-problems-facing-u-k-nationals-3963

Edited by saintofsilence

I did send them an e-mail. I hope all of you will also

Very good to Pattayaone for this story.

2 days ago I saw these same people scamming some Iranians pointing to the same rubber trim.

The day before that they were doing it to some Russians. The same police man shows up every time.

Sorry for the bad photo quality

not the same cop i came across twice, mine had a moustache

He must be Thai mafia then

i have seen them on Thai soaps, ALL mafia men have moustaches

Saintofsilence, that's a brilliant post. Have you put it on the Mayor's website?

In the end, everyone's scared of the police, even the Mayor, as they benefit massively from the scam, and it's not worth messing with them.

I tried to copy the link onto the Mayors facebook it would not let me for some reason it copies on but wont save .

Saintofsilence, that's a brilliant post. Have you put it on the Mayor's website?

In the end, everyone's scared of the police, even the Mayor, as they benefit massively from the scam, and it's not worth messing with them.

I doubt very much if the Mayor is scared of anyone!

I agree, that is a superb post saintofsilence.

I doubt very much if the Mayor is scared of anyone!

I agree, that is a superb post saintofsilence.

Believe me. The mayor has his rice bowl the police have theirs, and so long as nobody breaks the others' everything is just fine as it is.

If it were otherwise we'd all be screaming that the police should investigate the letting of road building contacts at City Hall, and querying where all the money goes, and of course THAT too will never happen, for the same reason.

Just saw a decent Channel 3 news item on the Pattaya scammers, using the Youtube video and covered-up faces.

I'm not sure it will do any good, but it shows the subject is now a national issue, and it may just embarrass someone into acting and trying to restore law and order in the city.

It's a big rice bowl to break though.

Edited by sharecropper

I have emailed the TAT already about the Pattaya jet ski criminals and the police helping them .....needless to say no reply.

I will definitely warn any tourists i overhear talking about jet ski rental .......in fact i plan to leaflet beach road with some small flyers when i arrive later in December.....have printer will fuc_k with the criminals...:ph34r: even i only a few dozen tourists see them its a few dozen les that they can scam and its a few dozen who will tell other newbie tourists to stay away from the beach scammers ....job done.

You should be careful Mr Vigilante.

How to avoid getting bitten by the Jet Ski Scam

JUL18

2011 LEAVE A COMMENT WRITTEN BY CHRIS

The Jet Ski Scam in Thailand is an oldie to Thailand, most people have heard about it, a lot of people have been stung by the scam as well.The scam is most often played in resort cities of Phuket, Pattaya Beach, and Jomtien, though there is evidence by local expats that the scam also goes on in the Thai beach resort towns of Hua Hin as well.

How the Jet Ski Scam Works

http://www.livingthai.org/how-to-avoid-getting-bitten-by-the-jet-ski-scam.html?

Edited by saintofsilence

I have emailed the TAT already about the Pattaya jet ski criminals and the police helping them .....needless to say no reply.

I will definitely warn any tourists i overhear talking about jet ski rental .......in fact i plan to leaflet beach road with some small flyers when i arrive later in December.....have printer will fuc_k with the criminals...:ph34r: even i only a few dozen tourists see them its a few dozen les that they can scam and its a few dozen who will tell other newbie tourists to stay away from the beach scammers ....job done.

You should be careful Mr Vigilante.

first get a quote from pattays hospital for health care and getting flyers removed from your behind