Cranberry Juice Extract / Tabs Or Caps In Cm

jaideeguy

I've ordered AZO brand tablets from the U.S. and had them shipped here... Each box of 50 tabs is pretty small, and you could have 3 or 4 boxes fitted into a standard U.S. PS Global Priority Mail envelope...

Short of that, from what I've read, eating dried cranberries supposedly is just as effective... or at least, a stop gap measure...

Now that I think of it, GNC Thailand has some variety of cranberry tabs, though their pricing is probably double or triple what you'd pay for the same thing in the U.S.

I've ordered AZO brand tablets from the U.S. and had them shipped here... Each box of 50 tabs is pretty small, and you could have 3 or 4 boxes fitted into a standard U.S. PS Global Priority Mail envelope...

Short of that, from what I've read, eating dried cranberries supposedly is just as effective... or at least, a stop gap measure...

Now that I think of it, GNC Thailand has some variety of cranberry tabs, though their pricing is probably double or triple what you'd pay for the same thing in the U.S.

Thanks for the tips jf......I just ordered a good amount from amazon.com and the shipping wouldn't arrive until late dec and I've been using the frozen fresh cranberries, but I think not too potent and I just need a month's supply so may go for the GNC brand. They have a store in airport plaza??

I'm in BKK, but I do know GNC Thailand has a pretty well developed web site with info on their various store/shop locations and product/pricing info...

PS I'll note just for the record...the grocery stores here do stock a variety of cranberry juice items...including imported varieties such as Langer's and Ocean Spray. But they're at best 20 or 30% cranberry juice and usually loaded with some variety of sugar... Not the best for the purpose you envision...

Real fresh or dried fruit, or the tablets, would be better.

Edited by jfchandler

Cranberries contain proanthocyanidins (compounds that serve as antioxidants and antimutagens, for example). The A Type proanthocyanidin in cranberries has been demonstrated in 'in vitro' tests ('in vitro' = in test tube, i.e. outside of the human body), to adhere to the E.coli bacteria which is the culprit behind 85% of urinary tract infections. This adhesion would then prevent the E.coli from attaching to the walls of the urinary tract and bladder. Proanthocyanidins do not help against urinary tract infections caused by chlamydia or mycoplasma genitalium. Clinical trials of cranberry used for long term treatment of urinary tract infections seem to have had mixed results.

I'm pretty sure I've seen cranberry capsules at the Peera pharmacy on Ratchadamnoen Road. What works very well is taking a combination of cranberry capsules, echinacea capsules (definitely from Peera), with some extra vitamin C. Also, put about 10 drops of tea tree oil in a plant mister, then filled with water. Spray that on the area several times a day. Australian tea tree also definitely available at Peera. This combination of natural remedies heals much better than the antibiotics that doctors here always want to give...

Cranberry juice can help prevent UTIs because it can prevent bacteria sticking to the bladder wall. It cannot cure a UTI but what little research there is seems to favour taking it if one is susceptible to these types of infections.

I would think that there must be other berries/juices which would have a similar effect so searching on Google or the like might work.

The cranberry extract pills are actually for my 91 yr old Pop, who I am caregiving and research tells me what meadish sweatballs states [didn't realize that UTIs were e-coli]. He has been into the dr and has been Rxed cipro [standard Rx for UTI] and after a 2 week run, it still hasn't cleared and he is now on an additional week of cipro.

If not cleared after this next week's urine sample is checked, the lab will culture the urine to determine a more specific antibiotic.

Meanwhile,I'm trying cranberry therapy, but need to get it in a more concentrated form and have ordered enough to take it preventavely, as this is his third UTI this year.

Sounds like the concentrated pills would be the way to go, under the circumstances...

Sweedish's good recap above pretty much summarized the conclusions of the research on the subject that I've read, as well...

Bottom line... it may help as a preventative, but by most accounts, it's not going to work as a cure for an existing infection.

A lot of the research I read didn't focus too much on the type of cranberry used and how the type impacts effectiveness....

But from what I could gather, some good variety of concentrated pills would be best, fresh or frozen or dried cranberries next, and commercial cranberry juices last, generally because they're much diluted and sugar filled. There are pure or closer to pure cranberry juices out there, but I've not seen them in Thailand.

PS - I wasn't aware that MD's considered Cipro as the standard prescription for UTIs... It's a pretty strong and broad range antibiotic... not something you'd want to be taking a lot of or repeatedly, if you could avoid it.

Edited by jfchandler