Amazon Kindle In Thailand?

CrossBones

I purchased one a few weeks back. Total cost for unit, cover, delivery and customs was $255.80 Aud.

I used an Australian credit card and billing address.

It was delivered in 6 days by courier. I could track it all the way on line. I knew when the truck started his delivery run in Phuket!

Attached is an edited copy of the invoice showing all costs.

Unit is brilliant, downloads books in minutes either by usb or direct from my wifi modem.

Thanks for your order

Purchasing Information:

Billing Address:

Perth, Western Australia Australia

Shipping Address:

Phuket

Patong, Kathu, Thailand

Order Grand Total: AUD 255.80

Order Summary:

Shipping Details : (order will arrive in 1 shipment)

Order #:

Shipping Method: Priority International Courier

Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible

Subtotal of Items: AUD 171.32

Shipping & Handling: AUD 27.19

------

Import Fees Deposit AUD 57.29

------

Total for this Order: AUD 255.80

Delivery estimate: April 6, 2011 - April 8, 2011

Shipping estimate for these items: April 4, 2011 1 "Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite - Latest Generation [includes USB Cable for Charging. For International Shipment]"

Accessory; $139.00

1 "M-Edge Latitude Kindle Jacket, Red (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)"

Accessory; $30.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I'm trying to buy 2 Kindle 3G + 1 case and have them sent to Thailand. Total cost of the items: USD 438. Shipment and handling: USD 33 (no problem with that). Import fees deposit: USD 117! I think this is very expensive, almost 30% of the cost of the items. Has anyone tried it before? In case I go for it will I get something back or do I have to consider the full amount as part of the final price?

Thanks,

F.P.

Hi,

Bought my Kindle in DEC just before Christmas. Had it shipped to a third party mailer (Shipito) and they shipped it to me for $45 and their was no customs fee.

Greg

Tempting, very tempting. I was hemming and hawing over the kindle but this thread has made me start to seriously consider it!

me too...I've always wanted one of dem devices as carrying around paperbacks is a drag when an electronic file arrangement is available...can also browse for new titles online when before you always had to get to a book store with a selection in english...special trips to bookstores in BKK or wandering around book shops in the UK when I should be using the time to visit with me son, etc...

I checked and amazon now ship to Vietnam!...I've been considering this as the customs and tax payable when new merchandise is received from overseas is 100% for items that they consider to be luxury merchandise...the secretary at work here normally receives the post and has to get involved so I plan to sidle up and say: ' this kindle thing is changing the world an' we gots to liberate the first one ever in VN on an urgent basis...so you give dat post office guy what he wants an' we settle it later (she's young and pretty and has the nicest equipment that I've seen anywhere around here)...think of the glory for VN!..', I sez...

'but Mr tutsi what you suggest sounds like cruel exploitation that is insensitive and quite possibly illegal...'...me: 'fergit what them clods tell ye; they're a bunch ob liars...'

it's international worker's day in VN and I am inspired...

Tempting, very tempting. I was hemming and hawing over the kindle but this thread has made me start to seriously consider it!

me too...I've always wanted one of dem devices as carrying around paperbacks is a drag when an electronic file arrangement is available...can also browse for new titles online when before you always had to get to a book store with a selection in english...special trips to bookstores in BKK or wandering around book shops in the UK when I should be using the time to visit with me son, etc...

I checked and amazon now ship to Vietnam!...I've been considering this as the customs and tax payable when new merchandise is received from overseas is 100% for items that they consider to be luxury merchandise...the secretary at work here normally receives the post and has to get involved so I plan to sidle up and say: ' this kindle thing is changing the world an' we gots to liberate the first one ever in VN on an urgent basis...so you give dat post office guy what he wants an' we settle it later (she's young and pretty and has the nicest equipment that I've seen anywhere around here)...think of the glory for VN!..', I sez...

'but Mr tutsi what you suggest sounds like cruel exploitation that is insensitive and quite possibly illegal...'...me: 'fergit what them clods tell ye; they're a bunch ob liars...'

it's international worker's day in VN and I am inspired...

Not sure about Vietnam but at least for shipment to Thailand when Amazon Quote you they include the cost of Import Duty too (I imagine they pay it directly to Thai Customs somehow), and the deal is if you are charged more than that, Amazon will refund it.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

It's a lot cheaper to have someone bring it over from the US in their luggage.

That's what I did, in fact I asked on TV if anyone was coming from the US to Chiang Mai in the near future.

Someone replied, I had it delivered to their address in the US, they handed it over when they arrived.

yeah...I thought about that too, in my case I was going to the UK next month to look after my paternal responsibilities and could order from Amazon UK and have it delivered at my ex's house...cost a bit more in the UK...couldn't order from the US and ship to the UK as customs and VAT would have the total UK price be more than in VN...

The most important negative of using the ipad as a reader is the fact that the screen glares in sunlight and its impossible to read. I love the ipad and dont see the problem with backlit reading and it being heavier considering all it does and how beautiful the books look compared to kindle, but if you will ever read outside the ipad is definately a bad choice, its really terrible in sunlight. If all you are doing is reading the battery should last you all day, but the kindle last several weeks? That's pretty good.

I got a refund on the tax duty paid: $31.87

Reason for refund: Export fee reduced

If you order remember to also order the Kindle leather cover since it protect the kindle and it feels more like a book inside the cover.

You didn't mention which model you bought, but if it was the Kindle 3 then that's pretty much the whole tax you've got returned. While it would be really nice, I can't imagine they stopped taxing imports. More likely it slipped through without taxation, as an exception.

Bought a 3 G version at Heathrow about 2 months ago in Departures before last visit to LOS and got it slightly cheaper ..think about £142 ..and happy with it.

Works well in Bangkok and centre of Chiang Mai but at my place in Mae-On ..very hit and miss.

Nice to wake up to my usual copy of THE Times and can also usually access BBC /AOL Mail...depending on the free Amazon worldwide "whispernet" link

Lots of no charge books and most newspapers/magazines have reasonable discounts.... :)

I bought a Kindle 3 recently in the USA and downloaded a few books. Nice.

Now back home in Bangkok I can't get the WiFi to work using my home WiFi. I'm using the correct password. Seems to be a configuration problem. Tried setting up a new network on the Kindle but don't know what to put in the blanks. My ISP is True.

I can call True but the chances I'd find someone there familiar with setting up networks on Kindle are slim to none, I imagine.

Any ideas?

Nice to wake up to my usual copy of THE Times and can also usually access BBC /AOL Mail...depending on the free Amazon worldwide "whispernet" link

What does The Times look like on the Kindle? How much is the sub?

Looks fine but no pictures which I am not bothered about.

Also you can adjust the letter sizing and layout if the old eyes aint so sharp.

They give you a free 14 day trial after which you can cancel if you decide that you dont want it.Monthly sub for the Times ( and Sunday edition )is £9.99..same for Telegraph

At the moment they are doing @ 143 International newspapers.

I am working my way through the others.... :D

Looks fine but no pictures which I am not bothered about.

Also you can adjust the letter sizing and layout if the old eyes aint so sharp.

They give you a free 14 day trial after which you can cancel if you decide that you dont want it.Monthly sub for the Times ( and Sunday edition )is £9.99..same for Telegraph

At the moment they are doing @ 143 International newspapers.

I am working my way through the others.... :D

I'm paying 6 quid a week for a sub to the paper version. I'm not quite sure if I could cope without all the extra stuff you get on a Sunday.

I bought a Kindle 3 recently in the USA and downloaded a few books. Nice.

Now back home in Bangkok I can't get the WiFi to work using my home WiFi. I'm using the correct password. Seems to be a configuration problem. Tried setting up a new network on the Kindle but don't know what to put in the blanks. My ISP is True.

I can call True but the chances I'd find someone there familiar with setting up networks on Kindle are slim to none, I imagine.

Any ideas?

Use your WEP key and not your wifi password. True quickly and competently got me set up in 3 minutes.

I brought a Kindle 3 with me back from the States and I love it. I have the WiFi version only because I heard 3G was unavailable in LOS. I installed the Kindle for PC on my laptop and prefer dl books to my pc then transferring via USB to my Kindle. I've had no problem using the Kindle WiFi in LOS and can even browse the Web and read e-maill. It is ligher and easier to hold when reading than the iPad and the e-ink screen is easy on the eyes. I charge it via USB connected to my laptop because I don't want to risk frying it charging via an outlet.

Amazon won't let me download DVDs in LOS but I can dl music and e-books with no problems.

I was unaware amazon shipps to LOS. For real? This news is a godsend.

OK, here's a fun question.

Say you buy a wireless Kindle in the US and activate on a wireless network in the US. Amazon won't see ebooks unless they have a registered Kindle on file.

So then you take it to Thailand and only want to feed in books from your PC via the USB port, but have no wireless ISP in Thailand or intention to connect to one.

Can you still use you Kindle in Thailand without ever connecting to a wireless network in Thailand?

I highly recommend using the calibre library (it's free) and does a truly great job. Kindle only accepts MOBI format, but that is no problem with calibre as they convert the majority of formats to MOBI and the kindle is happy with them, So you can download a lot of free books and convert them to MOBI with calibre. There are many free book sites that are easy to use. Google it. :):)

samadhi: yes, for real.

I don't really understand your question JT.

You can download books from the internet (independent from Amazon) to your PC and transfer them to the Kindle.

Regardless of where the Kindle is registered, if you connect it to the internet through Wifi in Thailand you can still purchase books from Amazon.

You can download books from the internet (independent from Amazon) to your PC and transfer them to the Kindle.

Regardless of where the Kindle is registered, if you connect it to the internet through Wifi in Thailand you can still purchase books from Amazon.

Thanks.

Let me try again.

I don't have WIFI in Thailand. I have no interest in connecting a Kindle to WIFI in Thailand. Yet the Kindles are either WIFI or 3G. I don't want the the 3G either. I just want to transfer content off my PC via USB to the Kindle device with no wireless connectivity for the Kindle at all. Is there any reason the WIFI Kindle would stop working because it is never connected to WIFI?

My point about initially registering/"activating" it connected to a WIFI system in the US is because it is not possible to get any ebook content from Amazon on your account unless you have a Kindle associated with your account. That doesn't mean you need to get it by WIFI or 3G though.

Is the question more clear now?

Edited by Jingthing

I can't imagine any reason why a Kindle should stop working because you don't connect it directly to the Internet.

I don't know if you can download books without connecting the Kindle to the Internet. I've yet to buy any books from Amazon :whistling: ... I'd imagine since there is a Kindle client for PC you ought to be able to download books with that.

In the worst case you could always go to a coffee shop and use their (often free) wifi to buy and download a book. Or just splash our the extra $50 and get a 3G version.

I just ordered a Kindle on Amazon today after reading this topic- thanks guys.

I ordered a 3G model. First I tried to order a US model but got stopped when they saw my address in LOS. After clicking a bit around I ordered a "world wide" model (same price). This baby have 3G (works world wide) + Wi-Fi. Don't ask because I don't know if there is any difference between the models.

Total damage: 312us$ (incl a leather folio) , of that price there is shipping 27$+ Import fee DEPOSIT 68$!!

ETA 9-11 May 2011

I just ordered a Kindle on Amazon today after reading this topic- thanks guys.

I ordered a 3G model. First I tried to order a US model but got stopped when they saw my address in LOS. After clicking a bit around I ordered a "world wide" model (same price). This baby have 3G (works world wide) + Wi-Fi. Don't ask because I don't know if there is any difference between the models.

Total damage: 312us$ (incl a leather folio) , of that price there is shipping 27$+ Import fee DEPOSIT 68$!!

ETA 9-11 May 2011

Ah thanks for the info I was wondering!!! Ok will wait until I go to the states next month but am also so excited and after this thread too decided why not.. it really is not that easy to hold a book when you read or lug them around. But why are some of the electronic books more?? then the paper?

If you do some googling then there are at least 2 different Thai guys (at least at the time I bought mine, 2 months ago) that are importing them in bulk and selling them in Thailand. I bought my Kindle 3 WIFI model for 6000 THB excluding shipping from BKK to HKT.

I’m considering selling my Sony 650 ereader and buying a kindle when we go to the states on the 15th of this month. The reason for this is mostly that my wife has a kindle, and I think it would work out better if we had the same ereader.

Sony has the advantage of accepting more formats than kindle but kindle has the advantage of having a better battery life between charges and the ability to hold more books. My Sony is full at 630 books and I understand the Kindle will hold 3500.

If you are interested PM me with an offer or questions. I live in Cha Am.

If you do some googling then there are at least 2 different Thai guys (at least at the time I bought mine, 2 months ago) that are importing them in bulk and selling them in Thailand. I bought my Kindle 3 WIFI model for 6000 THB excluding shipping from BKK to HKT.

Cheap for sure.

I just got a e-mail from Amazon that says my Kindle will be registered in my name, so I can order/receive book direct via my Kindle. Can you do that on yours and is you kindle registered in Amazon too?

I have a kindle 3G, never connected it to my wi-fi, works great and I put lots of books into it. No problem either way. download free boos [torrents are your friend]. any book format can be converted by calibre and you can slide the books into the kindle using calibre, or, you can slide the books into your kindle direct into the documents file. works great

Thanks.

Let me try again.

I don't have WIFI in Thailand. I have no interest in connecting a Kindle to WIFI in Thailand. Yet the Kindles are either WIFI or 3G. I don't want the the 3G either. I just want to transfer content off my PC via USB to the Kindle device with no wireless connectivity for the Kindle at all. Is there any reason the WIFI Kindle would stop working because it is never connected to WIFI?

My point about initially registering/"activating" it connected to a WIFI system in the US is because it is not possible to get any ebook content from Amazon on your account unless you have a Kindle associated with your account. That doesn't mean you need to get it by WIFI or 3G though.

Is the question more clear now?

Edited by Lost in LOS