Big Bike And Punctures.

kenny999

Dual compound tires are the order of the day for those of us trapped in urban areas with infrequent opportunities to get to the twisties.

And to answer one question, assuming tread is adequate, a well-plugged tubeless tire is fine for sane street riding. Wouldn't do a track day on one. The tire manf will never tell ya its ok... but they're in the business of selling tires. also, they wouldn't want to handle the legal claims from saying it was ok to ride on a plugged tire and then having the idiots out there screw it up and come looking for money.

:jap:. Sorry, I disagree. Even assuming tread is adequate, I'd say replace it (or at least tube it). The tyre is the only thing between you and the road. Is it really worth the risk? Hospital bills and bike repairs (if you survive a spill) will almost certainly cost you more than the cost of a new tyre.

I believe using a plugged tyre has now become illegal in EU, legal only on trucks speed limited to 80 kmh.

had a flat on my 2010 Vigos 265-17 yesterday. Manit Center Max in Phuket did not want to plug it as they know I keep the speed up, took it off the rim and vulked inside. 200 baht

Tubing a tubeless tyre does not work well at all above 120 kmh. The inside of a tubelss tyre is rather rough, friction between tyre and tube provides heat, and a blow up, not a slow puncture. Was shocked first time it happend to me

I believe using a plugged tyre has now become illegal in EU, legal only on trucks speed limited to 80 kmh.

Certainly the case in Germany. When some a-holes punched holes in both my brand new front tires there, the shop told me can't fix, need to buy another set of new ones. If I had a blowout at high speed, the shop that fixed them for me would be held responsible. Makes sense and at German Autobahn speeds I guess you really can't take any chances..

• 2 weeks later...