2011 Pajero Sport Minor Change

omg really? but the 2wd doesn't have the 5 speed gearbox. Anyways from my personal experience of driving a vigo when raining, it feels much better in 4wd.

The minor change PJS (just released) now includes a 5AT and paddle shifters on the GT 2WD model.

Whether or not you need 4WD depends on where you need to drive - if you have a geuine need to go off-road, go for it.

If you're only thinking of 4WD for use on wet but otherwise sealed roads, it's not necessary. The PJS has an extra 400-odd kilos of weight over the rear axle, and a shorter wheelbase than a pickup, so doesn't suffer from a floaty rear-end and huge oversteer bias that unladen 2WD pickups do.

My only real gripe with the PJS 4WD is the 4WD selector - with the seat jacked up and forward into the position my wife needs, and 2WD High mode selected, the lever sits hard-up against the driver's chair which results in very unpleasant vibrations. Adjusted for me (seat down and much further back) it's fine though, so YMMV.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I was wondering if reverse cameras be used when going forwards. I ask this because when I drove my BIL's triton it was really hard to see over the back lip of the truck (he had some big lid on it). Small cars and bikes were hard to see if they were close up. Would be handy to see what is going on around close to the rear of the vehicle at times...Note I'm used to driving low sedans and not big pickups. so maybe it's just a matter of adapting.

omg really? but the 2wd doesn't have the 5 speed gearbox. Anyways from my personal experience of driving a vigo when raining, it feels much better in 4wd.

The minor change PJS (just released) now includes a 5AT and paddle shifters on the GT 2WD model.

Whether or not you need 4WD depends on where you need to drive - if you have a geuine need to go off-road, go for it.

If you're only thinking of 4WD for use on wet but otherwise sealed roads, it's not necessary. The PJS has an extra 400-odd kilos of weight over the rear axle, and a shorter wheelbase than a pickup, so doesn't suffer from a floaty rear-end and huge oversteer bias that unladen 2WD pickups do.

My only real gripe with the PJS 4WD is the 4WD selector - with the seat jacked up and forward into the position my wife needs, and 2WD High mode selected, the lever sits hard-up against the driver's chair which results in very unpleasant vibrations. Adjusted for me (seat down and much further back) it's fine though, so YMMV.

MRO would 4wd be necessary if going up fairly mountainous unpaved roads? At what point does 4wd become necessary? Just thinking about the odd camping trip up in the mountains (say around Petburi, for example). I drove up in that area and only really saw pickups, but not sure which were 2wd / 4wd. Is there a big difference in fuel economy between 2wd / 4wd? Sorry for the nooby truck questions:)

Hi, I was wondering if reverse cameras be used when going forwards. I ask this because when I drove my BIL's triton it was really hard to see over the back lip of the truck (he had some big lid on it). Small cars and bikes were hard to see if they were close up. Would be handy to see what is going on around close to the rear of the vehicle at times...Note I'm used to driving low sedans and not big pickups. so maybe it's just a matter of adapting.

Most reversing cameras get their power from the reversing light circuit, with the monitor auto-sensing signal and switching input when they are powered up - so it would be possible to have them.displaying while not in reverse gear simply by powering up the camera by some other means (i.e. off ACC power, or a manual switch)

Most reversing cameras get their power from the reversing light circuit, with the monitor auto-sensing signal and switching input when they are powered up - so it would be possible to have them.displaying while not in reverse gear simply by powering up the camera by some other means (i.e. off ACC power, or a manual switch)

OK cool thanks:)

Not really a Mitsu topic , but in keeping with the Truckie questions. Prerunner owners can get a rear lowering kit that renders it level to the front end. The looks improve ten fold.. No more arse in the air look.. Running the rear camera isn't a good idea, sensors are cheaper than new screens.

guys i placed a booking for pjs 4wd white. Got quite a good deal as the dealer gave full zercon bodykit as well. Anyways anyone out there with pjs chipped or piggy their truck yet? I wonder how much more power can we squeeze out of these 2.5L engine.

MRO would 4wd be necessary if going up fairly mountainous unpaved roads? At what point does 4wd become necessary? Just thinking about the odd camping trip up in the mountains (say around Petburi, for example). I drove up in that area and only really saw pickups, but not sure which were 2wd / 4wd. Is there a big difference in fuel economy between 2wd / 4wd? Sorry for the nooby truck questions:)

I've definitely driven on some unpaved mountainous roads in TH that would absolutely require 4WD to get through, in the wet season but none I would expect a problem with in the dry.

4WD is approx 120KG heavier than 2WD, so will have ~4-5% less fuel effeciency.

guys i placed a booking for pjs 4wd white. Got quite a good deal as the dealer gave full zercon bodykit as well. Anyways anyone out there with pjs chipped or piggy their truck yet? I wonder how much more power can we squeeze out of these 2.5L engine.

Low 200's is acheivable with just a basic piggyback on the 2011 VG turbo models.

My wife's 2010 PJS (140HP stock) is doing 189HP with piggyback, dump pipe and K&N filter.

While on the topic of the PJS, the 2.4L gasoline 5MT version was released last week. Same basic specs as the GLS grade diesel, but 150KG lighter and less powerful. Special release price of 899,000 Baht until the middle of next month (when it goes up to 915,000).

If you're not trying to win races, spend an extra 30-40K Baht for LPG or CNG conversion, and you've got a very cheap all-rounder..

Gratulations Timestamp!

I was on the way doing so yesterday after having been rather busy with other things

for some weeks. Anyhow, my wife likes the white one and I'm not sure yet of the choice

between white, blue and brown. I ended up at a friends home and we shared some whisky...

I have a green car now, an Everest, and I go to the car cleaning with it every two

months, depending a little bit on the time of the year.

If appearances at certain social events force me I quickly take off the worst dirt

myself with the garden hose and an old bathroom towel.

When my wife wanted to choose the color of her car, black or white, I managed to

manipulate her into a compromise, grey.

Her friend tells her that she washes her new white Vios twice a week and that is

steering me away from the white and is softening her stance at the same time.

These decisions are complicated, especially when you like to give your wife a

certain decisive power in matters like color.

I'm reading that white has become one of the most popular colors lately (since 2009).

White, black and silver are the toppers nowadays at least in the western world.

I haven't seen any numbers concerning Thailand, but I wouldn't be surprised if

it's the same thing here.

My thesis is that after two weeks it doesn't matter anymore what color your car

has. The fun of a new car doesn't really last long unless it is a special one.

A friend bought himself a Lambo (Gaillardo, convertible). In the mean time he

doesn't even remember when he took of the roof last time. And since he ordered

a boat he looks at his sportscar like a sixteen year old at his second hand

Yamaha Fresh.

Limbo :yohan:

While on the topic of the PJS, the 2.4L gasoline 5MT version was released last week. Same basic specs as the GLS grade diesel, but 150KG lighter and less powerful. Special release price of 899,000 Baht until the middle of next month (when it goes up to 915,000).

If you're not trying to win races, spend an extra 30-40K Baht for LPG or CNG conversion, and you've got a very cheap all-rounder..

Am I correct when I read in the ford ranger brochure on their website that they even mentioned about putting lpg on their petrol version? Does that mean it would be covered under warranty?

Am I correct when I read in the ford ranger brochure on their website that they even mentioned about putting lpg on their petrol version? Does that mean it would be covered under warranty?

Not sure where you might have read that, but so far it's diesel-only in Thailand for the Ranger.

bro MRO did you racechip your car? you didn't go for the 5 in 1 piggyback ecu offered by bro philip right? i have a old vector unit in my hilux that i've just reprogram for the pjs and bought a brand new cable as well. so i might just install the vector into my car first.

bro MRO did you racechip your car? you didn't go for the 5 in 1 piggyback ecu offered by bro philip right? i have a old vector unit in my hilux that i've just reprogram for the pjs and bought a brand new cable as well. so i might just install the vector into my car first.

Yes, I have a racehip pro. There's no way I'm cutting cables on a car that's still under warranty, so that excludes most other options...

Apparently Bentech and Monkey Club now have plug-n-play piggybacks as well, but I haven't tried them - the wife is happy enough with the Racechip..

• 2 weeks later...

Are there models in stock in Thai showrooms or does one have to wait for a less flooded city. I've decided to buy something higher for the future and TV has been a great resource. Can walk out with a mu-7 in 4 days with every extra under the sun and a 30k discount.

Are there models in stock in Thai showrooms or does one have to wait for a less flooded city. I've decided to buy something higher for the future and TV has been a great resource. Can walk out with a mu-7 in 4 days with every extra under the sun and a 30k discount.

Try ringing MMTH on 02-529-9500 - they will try to avoid giving info on stock levels at different dealers, but if you know exactly what model/color you're after and are ready to buy, they will usually help track down a dealer with stock.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Try ringing MMTH on 02-529-9500 - they will try to avoid giving info on stock levels at different dealers, but if you know exactly what model/color you're after and are ready to buy, they will usually help track down a dealer with stock.

cheers - just saw this

• 4 weeks later...

guys i just got my pajero sport, the music player that came with the car is alpine and there is no way i can plug my android phone in and play the music from my phone? Any suggestions what i can do to enable me to use my phone as a music player? There aren't any 3.5mm jack as well.

guys i just got my pajero sport, the music player that came with the car is alpine and there is no way i can plug my android phone in and play the music from my phone? Any suggestions what i can do to enable me to use my phone as a music player? There aren't any 3.5mm jack as well.

Go visit an Alpine car audio dealer - they will be able to supply & fit the req'd AUX-in adaptor for approx 1500 THB.

Go visit an Alpine car audio dealer - they will be able to supply & fit the req'd AUX-in adaptor for approx 1500 THB.

thanks moon, btw the lcd screen of the pajero sport i find quite useless. and the reverse camera is pretty useless as well. the initial drive experience of the pjs is i find it smooth but doesn't really feel the power if you know what i mean. and you have to step on the accelerator quite hard to make it accelerate fast.

thanks moon, btw the lcd screen of the pajero sport i find quite useless. and the reverse camera is pretty useless as well. the initial drive experience of the pjs is i find it smooth but doesn't really feel the power if you know what i mean. and you have to step on the accelerator quite hard to make it accelerate fast.

Chip it, then you'll feel it a little more, but remember that it ain't no race car lol :D

As for the screen, whatever floats your boat ;) I'd never buy another car w/out a reversing camera - but I have kids :D

I haven't read all the post's. But here's an update if it's been put in before sorry, The price for their top of the range 4x4 is now 1,334000bt That was the price I was shown 3 day's ago. EEEEK

Yeah, so it's cheap :)

You have to remember it's blowing away 1.8M Baht SUV's on both performance and features at that price..

And if you actually need a 4x4 wagon with serious offroad creds, it's the best one until you start paying 4M and up...

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I haven't read all the post's. But here's an update if it's been put in before sorry, The price for their top of the range 4x4 is now 1,334000bt That was the price I was shown 3 day's ago. EEEEK

You have to remember it's blowing away 1.8M Baht SUV's on both performance and features at that price..

This is the second time I have disagreed with you. Don't do it again. So the Fortuner has now gone up to 1.8mil has it. Now let me see no VSC/Traction/C and at 1.334bt it's on par well I never.

The only thing I can see in it's favour now is the rear window is much better (Bigger) you can see out of it you couldn't before. (Tongue in cheek) I do like the extra luggage room I'm referring to the space between the top of the wheel and the wheel arch must be able to get a large case in each one. The lack of AUX port and small screen on the Blue look it's boy racer Hi Fi. No info average km/l +++++++ that the 1.8mil Fortuner has. Now there's the R/Camera!!!! I know the Fortuner has got a crap facia but having looked three day's ago at the Pajero one that's almost the same but smaller. I also liked the turn knob's for the air con very sixties. Not to dissimilar to the VIGO one's. Not going into the way it lean's on corner's. Over to you.

This is the second time I have disagreed with you. Don't do it again. So the Fortuner has now gone up to 1.8mil has it. Now let me see no VSC/Traction/C and at 1.334bt it's on par well I never.

The only thing I can see in it's favour now is the rear window is much better (Bigger) you can see out of it you couldn't before. (Tongue in cheek) I do like the extra luggage room I'm referring to the space between the top of the wheel and the wheel arch must be able to get a large case in each one. The lack of AUX port and small screen on the Blue look it's boy racer Hi Fi. No info average km/l +++++++ that the 1.8mil Fortuner has. Now there's the R/Camera!!!! I know the Fortuner has got a crap facia but having looked three day's ago at the Pajero one that's almost the same but smaller. I also liked the turn knob's for the air con very sixties. Not to dissimilar to the VIGO one's. Not going into the way it lean's on corner's. Over to you.

When did I say Fortuner LOL? I no longer compare anything much to Vigo/'Tuna I'm afraid, they're simply too far behind the curve :P

Don't worry though - the 'Tuna/VIGO will be getting a re-tune to 190HP/410Nm and a few more features to catch up with the competition (on everything but space/size that is), so they'll be back in the running again - so long as they keep the price rises minimal...

No need for you to change your allegience, or continually try to defend it - just be patient and you'll get your 'days in the sun' back :lol::wai:

Must agree with some of your post. Power for one why a Toyota 3lt only put's out 162bhp beat's me.

Glad to say now that my day's in the sun are still with me as I've had some work on the Tuna/Fish's engine now put's out 240bhp so am ahead of the group. I hasten to add that I don't use it to often.

Serious question, as I believe you might be one of the peep's that can answer. I noticed today on a trip through the Mountain's/Hill's a lot of the time spent in 3rd gear "auto" When I returned it to top (4) I was at time's still under 80kmh so it stayed in 3rd but the rev's dropped by about 3/400 RPM only to go up again if I put it back into 3rd. It's the same if I use 2nd tried that today just to see. Is this the norm.

Must agree with some of your post. Power for one why a Toyota 3lt only put's out 162bhp beat's me.

Glad to say now that my day's in the sun are still with me as I've had some work on the Tuna/Fish's engine now put's out 240bhp so am ahead of the group. I hasten to add that I don't use it to often.

Serious question, as I believe you might be one of the peep's that can answer. I noticed today on a trip through the Mountain's/Hill's a lot of the time spent in 3rd gear "auto" When I returned it to top (4) I was at time's still under 80kmh so it stayed in 3rd but the rev's dropped by about 3/400 RPM only to go up again if I put it back into 3rd. It's the same if I use 2nd tried that today just to see. Is this the norm.

It sounds like you're seeing torque converter slip. The Aisin 4AT in the Fortuner has lock-up (i.e. mechanical transfer of power) only in 4th - the lower gears all slip (i.e. they rely on the the viscosity of the AT fluid only to transfer power).

This is likely to be related/exacerbated by the engine mods you've had done - the reason why the current Vigo/Fortuner is down on power is because the Aisin 4AT can only really handle a max. of ~350Nm... As noted in my previous post, the engine is good for 190HP/410Nm (in an OEM tune - much more with an aftermarket tune) but it's the 4AT that's limiting potential. If you're hitting 240HP, you're also probably making something like 500Nm of torque, so I'd say you're simply causing 'more slip than grip' in the AT under certain conditions.

Just as an aside, after a largely full throttle run up Doi Inthanon in the wife's (chipped) PJS, the AT gets so hot that 1st gear doesn't want to go anywhere anymore... You have to give it 5 mins to cool off before parking, LOL. Note that the PJS and Triton also use Aisin AT's (now 5AT's for 2011 models though), with the same torque limits, so all experience the same torque converter slip when modded and driven hard (especially up hills). And that's also why the AT versions of the PJS/Triton are de-tuned to 350Nm max as well (the MT's in those are tuned for 400Nm)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

It sounds like you're seeing torque converter slip. The Aisin 4AT in the Fortuner has lock-up (i.e. mechanical transfer of power) only in 4th - the lower gears all slip (i.e. they rely on the the viscosity of the AT fluid only to transfer power).

This is likely to be related/exacerbated by the engine mods you've had done - the reason why the current Vigo/Fortuner is down on power is because the Aisin 4AT can only really handle a max. of ~350Nm... As noted in my previous post, the engine is good for 190HP/410Nm (in an OEM tune - much more with an aftermarket tune) but it's the 4AT that's limiting potential. If you're hitting 240HP, you're also probably making something like 500Nm of torque, so I'd say you're simply causing 'more slip than grip' in the AT under certain conditions.

Just as an aside, after a largely full throttle run up Doi Inthanon in the wife's (chipped) PJS, the AT gets so hot that 1st gear doesn't want to go anywhere anymore... You have to give it 5 mins to cool off before parking, LOL. Note that the PJS and Triton also use Aisin AT's (now 5AT's for 2011 models though), with the same torque limits, so all experience the same torque converter slip when modded and driven hard (especially up hills). And that's also why the AT versions of the PJS/Triton are de-tuned to 350Nm max as well (the MT's in those are tuned for 400Nm)

That's for that. tried it again today not pulling. Just an amble on flat or even a slight down grade and it dose the same thing I might phone Toyota to see what they say but I wont mention the extra power. Update later.

Right have just phoned Toyota and Their word's that's what it's supposed to do. Their technical adviser said that for example if I was in Drive (4) and doing less that 80kmp I would be in third gear let's say for example 1.700rpm if I then put it in the 3rd gear position the rev's would go up by aprox 300rpm, same with second. And drop when it was put back into drive. He then went on to say that there would only be a problem if it started to go above 1,000rpm so it seem's all working ok Well that's a relief thank's for your help MRO

Edited by fredob43