Torrent Download 3Bb

Thaihog

Anybody having any problems in Chiang Mai with 3BB? I've just switched from TOT to 3BB. My connection speed is Okay 5MB, but when downloading torrents it is painfully slow.

I'm using Utorrent for downloading, never had a problem with TOT. Could 3BB be throttling back the download speed somehow?

Cheers :jap:

wait , here is the Question . when you said download is ok , at what speed you are saying

2-3k/s ? or 20-50k/s ?

i download from a server i buy . and then redirect it to my system . and i download at about 900k/s - 1.3mb/s

it all depend on how you do it and where you download of cos .

the internet grey line is many just do not know what is ok speed till someone tell you .

so much depends on the seeds and also on the trackers. For instance, Piratebay is down right now, so a whole bunch of my downloads have come to a halt.

OTOH... the ones that were connected with magnet torrents are still going strong.

There are so many variables it is hard to say. But i have 3BBB and checking my logs, i average about 600 gigs a month transfer, total of up and down. That is my average over the last 6 months

To me, that is pretty decent flow for thailand and if they are throttling, it is not affecting me much.

^ that's not throttling, that's typical consumer ADSL, where you have much higher download speed compared to upload.

I think uTorrent has an encryption option, then nobody would know it's even Bittorrent traffic. With torrents it totally depends on where you are downloading from and you never know.

I download quite a lot using Bittorrent (all legal of course.. waiting for the first person showing up who doesn't understand bittorrent.. :rolleyes: ) , and it varies a lot. I'm on TOT. Typically higher speeds at night too, but that could also be because you get more peers in the USA that time. Right now something is trickling in at speeds between 150-200 Kb/sec.

I find it slightly ironic that a thread about getting pirated DVD's was closed because discussions of illegal pirating are prohibited. But discussions about downloading torrents (illegal also, though winnie is right there are some legal torrents but downloading anything that is copywritten is still illegal) is ok.

I will laugh when your ISP are registered and you are all sued for millions.

I hope that those of you promoting this invent something and have someone else sell it for cheaper. I absolutely hate pirating of anything. It is a plague on those of us who create new things.

Edited by newbie001

I find it slightly ironic that a thread about getting pirated DVD's was closed because discussions of illegal pirating are prohibited. But discussions about downloading torrents (illegal also, though winnie is right there are some legal torrents but downloading anything that is copywritten is still illegal) is ok.

Irony is in the eye of the beholder, but Bittorrent as a technology is 100% legal. It's like me asking about where to buy a steak knife and then people claiming this should be illegal because steak knives can also be used to kill the neighbour's cats.

When I'm looking to buy a steak knife the inference should not be that I am an animal abuser. It's just that I like steak.

When I'm asking about Bittorrent it would be best not to make similar strange inferences. ;)

More information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

Adoption

A growing number of individuals and organizations are using BitTorrent to distribute their own or licensed material. Independent adopters report that without using BitTorrent technology and its dramatically reduced demands on their private networking hardware and bandwidth, they could not afford to distribute their files.[15]

[edit]Film, video and music

• BitTorrent Inc. has amassed a number of licenses from Hollywood studios for distributing popular content from their websites.
  • Sub Pop Records releases tracks and videos via BitTorrent Inc.[16] to distribute its 1000+ albums. Babyshambles and The Libertines (both bands associated with Pete Doherty) have extensively used torrents to distribute hundreds of demos and live videos. US industrial rock band Nine Inch Nails frequently distributes albums via BitTorrent.
  • Podcasting software is starting to integrate BitTorrent to help podcasters deal with the download demands of their MP3 "radio" programs. Specifically, Juice and Miro (formerly known as Democracy Player) support automatic processing of .torrent files from RSS feeds. Similarly, some BitTorrent clients, such as µTorrent, are able to process web feeds and automatically download content found within them.
  • DGM Live! purchases are provided via BitTorrent.[17]

[edit]Broadcasters

..and so on and so on.

For me it has recently become impossible to download torrents and surf the web at the same time, This is why I am in the process of switching from 3bb to True. Hopefully it will be better. 3bb used to work great.

I get that too, but I think it may be a case of the Bittorrent client eating up all available bandwidth. When also wanting to do other things at the same time it's best to throttle it a little. (Especially the upload speed it seems). I tend to peg the upload to 30kB/Sec when I'm also doing other stuff. (And download speed I set sometimes to 100 or so, but you would pick a number that works for your typical available (international) bandwidth)

For me it has recently become impossible to download torrents and surf the web at the same time, This is why I am in the process of switching from 3bb to True. Hopefully it will be better. 3bb used to work great.

I get that too, but I think it may be a case of the Bittorrent client eating up all available bandwidth. When also wanting to do other things at the same time it's best to throttle it a little. (Especially the upload speed it seems). I tend to peg the upload to 30kB/Sec when I'm also doing other stuff. (And download speed I set sometimes to 100 or so, but you would pick a number that works for your typical available (international) bandwidth)

I tried that. I set the upload speed to just 5Kbps but I still find surfing the web nearly impossible. I have to hit reload numerous times to get a page to load. Something has definitely changed with 3bb. Before, I was able to download torrents at a 50Kbps upload speed and surf the web no problem.

Edited by wimpy

Did you configure uTorrent with your new router? Options - Set up guide, run both tests. That's a start.

When I do the test everything is okay for the Bandwidth.

I get an error when checking the network. Error message says Neither NAT-PMP nor UPnP is enabled, how do I enable?

Port number is 51926. If I change the port number will this help?

Thanks for your help :jap:

I hope that those of you promoting this invent something and have someone else sell it for cheaper. I absolutely hate pirating of anything. It is a plague on those of us who create new things.

Forum policy on torrents is that we allow general comment on technical aspects. The forum rules prohibit posting links to sites, but that is it.

Discussing specifics of downloading via file sharing of copyrighted material is against forum policy as well (ex: I went to ABC site and downloaded XYZ movie).

The reason you do not see these discussions (of illegal downloads of copyrighted material) is that they have not been closed- they have been zapped off the forum.

The Thai ICT could bring legal action against Thai Visa if we permitted such comments to remain.

Hope this clarifies Thai Visa policy on bit torrents.

Error message says Neither NAT-PMP nor UPnP is enabled, how do I enable?

Options - Preferences - Connections

Tick the boxes

:)

The boxes are ticked (enabled) but I still get the error message, Neither NAT-PMP nor UPnP is enabled. Any ideas?

Cheers.....

Have been using torrents for years and the speed of the download has everything to do with the torrent selected. I have noticed recently that during the day 3BB is definitely throttling back the use of torrents, not sure how they do this as I use uTorrent which encripts in/outgoing traffic.After midnight it all kicks back into life and I sometimes see 1.2Mb/s (12meg connection)

Try downloading Vuze(Google)for torrents, with 3BB. Vuze has its own player. It shows those downloading, down/up speeds.Save your legal torrents to a separate external drive of 1Tb or more.Works well, FWIW. Cheers

Vuze (Azureus) is Java based and is heavy on system resources, forget about running any other CPU/RAM intensive programs during Vuze operation, unless you have a super duper computer ofcourse. Theres no doubt the best torrent client for PC/MAC is uTorrent. The setup is a doddle and it does exactly what is says on the tin. Ive never had to mess about with settings on routers, torrent clients or operating systems. I have had the occasional red/orange lights indicating TCP ports blocked, NAt/PMP problem, its best not to touch anything as it sorts itself out. uTorrent preferences/Network there is a box you can check to "Automatically map port (NAT-PMP or UPnP)). I will occassionally randomize the TCP port, you can also select automatic randomize during client launch, but why change something that is working.If you dont get a green connection light just leave it a while and you'll get it eventually. Ive also had good download speeds without the green light.

• 1 month later...

And what is it that you have created ? I read on other posts that you don't work or ever have worked and only like to criticize others.

What is the reason you still want to stay here or somewhere else in the world ?

Ideally somebody would host a usenet server here in Thailand and mirror alt.binaries.*

Then people with the crazy fast connections that are only crazy fast when connecting to Thai sites would have a crazy fast connection to the content they're demanding.

Nothing worse than trying to use the hotel's wifi connection only to discover that there are a dozen people saturating the upstream bandwidth by seeding torrents. And even knowledgable network admins have a hard time trying to shape this traffic, so it goes without saying that the girl at the front desk who you complain to about the crappy connection you just paid 500THB for isn't going to fare any better on the problem.

• 3 months later...

What a looser are you, i don't think your children are playing original computer games or do they ? So start buying originals first your self.

I hate people that hate others for thing they do self or like to do self.

ill be watching you !!!!!!!