New Year Puzzle

tgeezer

I have posted this on T-L.Com as well, I have been struggling with it on and off for about a year.

เขามีบ้านหลังแรก Correct

เขามีบ้านแรก Incorrect

เขาอยู่บ้านหลังแรก Correct

เขาอยู่บ้านแรก Correct

I think a straight translation of the verbs from a T/E dictionary changes nothing (although I haven't checked every source)so anyone can have a go. I suspect that the object may change to an adverb depending on the verb but I can't see it.

Happy New Year to all.

Edited by tgeezer

เขามีบ้านหลังแรก Correct

เขามีบ้านแรก Incorrect

เขาอยู่บ้านแรก Correct

That is an interesting puzzle. I was thinking that sentence #4 is correct because it translates as 'He/She is living in his/her first house (as opposed to a second or third house they own)."

The second sentence is incorrect because it would be strange to say "He has (his) first house." The meaning isn't the same as the first sentence which translates "he has the first house (as opposed to the second or third house on the street)".

However, I think the second sentence in spoken language could be used to mean "He has a first family."

This explanation is certainly open to criticism/confirmation. I look forward to seeing what others may have to add.

เขามีบ้านหลังแรก Correct

เขามีบ้านแรก Incorrect

เขาอยู่บ้านแรก Correct

That is an interesting puzzle. I was thinking that sentence #4 is correct because it translates as 'He/She is living in his/her first house (as opposed to a second or third house they own)."

The second sentence is incorrect because it would be strange to say "He has (his) first house." The meaning isn't the same as the first sentence which translates "he has the first house (as opposed to the second or third house on the street)".

However, I think the second sentence in spoken language could be used to mean "He has a first family."

This explanation is certainly open to criticism/confirmation. I look forward to seeing what others may have to add.

It has been discussed before here with Koon Yoot and on T-L with Nan and I now remember the reason I had then but it was not confirmed so I forgot it, it is plausable but I need back-up.

You are right, He has first house' is what it says and that is why it is wrong, why is 'He อยู่ first house' correct?