Important Grooming Question Pt.Ii

Charlie_Rain

Certainly this has to be a joke?

Apparently Mr. Pillion didn't reveal himself at the Christmas party as promised and I don't think it's likely that Charlie_Rain and Mr. Pillion will be seen on the same bike together.

Certainly this has to be a joke?

Apparently Mr. Pillion didn't reveal himself at the Christmas party as promised and I don't think it's likely that Charlie_Rain and Mr. Pillion will be seen on the same bike together.

Yes, apologies for not being able to make it to the TV christmas party, inconsiderate driver.

Although I did make it for Christmas Lunch at the old bell, and what a feast it was! I saw a couple of familiar faces there, such as Mark and Pedr among many other jolly yule tiders. I can't really comment on Charlie_Rain's problem as thankfully my skin isn't too sensitive.

Charlie I hope you have many wonderful shaves in this new year.

Almost anything you want that cannot be found in Thailand can be shipped from Amazon.com in about 2 weeks time.

That's really good to know Brad. How does shipping stuff to Thailand affect the postage-prices? Is it pretty expensive?

Almost anything you want that cannot be found in Thailand can be shipped from Amazon.com in about 2 weeks time.

That's really good to know Brad. How does shipping stuff to Thailand affect the postage-prices? Is it pretty expensive?

Some things are ridiculously expensive as compared to the item purchased itself. Other things are tolerable, say $10 to $20...certainly cheaper than flying back to the USA to buy it. !!! The Amazon site will tell you the shipping cost before you submit the order for final processing. Another option might be to have the item sent from Amazon (or a similar online source) to a friend's house in the States, and then have the friend send it on to Thailand for about $20, depending of course upon the size and weight.

I've done it both ways. Some electrical items cannot be sent directly from Amazon, probably because of the voltage difference, or import taxes, or theft. Who knows. At any rate, I haven't had any customs duties ordering and receiving books, a cycle helmet shield, or replacement blades for my shaver.

Some things are ridiculously expensive as compared to the item purchased itself. Other things are tolerable, say $10 to $20...certainly cheaper than flying back to the USA to buy it. !!! The Amazon site will tell you the shipping cost before you submit the order for final processing. Another option might be to have the item sent from Amazon (or a similar online source) to a friend's house in the States, and then have the friend send it on to Thailand for about $20, depending of course upon the size and weight.

I've done it both ways. Some electrical items cannot be sent directly from Amazon, probably because of the voltage difference, or import taxes, or theft. Who knows. At any rate, I haven't had any customs duties ordering and receiving books, a cycle helmet shield, or replacement blades for my shaver.

Yeah, I'd thought of getting stuff delivered to my parents in England, and then shipping it out to Thailand. It is certainly a good option. Maybe 2-3 care-packages a year.

I wish I could be as lucky as you two guys, and not care about my appearance. I'd love to let-it-all-go, and hold two fingers up to the fickle world of fashion and style.

But just because you two don't suffer the same pressures, there is no need to poke fun at me.

I agree ; its not fair, especially seeing that you come from Manchester where you really do need a sense of humour to survive the daily rain_Charlie. But coming from a town condemned to languish under a dark blanket of thick cloud,how do you get so mahogany brown as to look like you're some hunky surfer from Bondi Beach. Do you have a favourite brand of bronzer? And would you advise using a double bladed razor for shaving legs and lower extremities to keep up with the "fickle world of fashion and style"?

Ah, that photo was taken in Olympos, Turkey, summer 2009. I supplicated myself to the sun's rays, and she turned me a nice wooden colour. Sun-In made my hair golden. As I type this, I am pale and my hair is dark.

My legs are like a goats, and my chest has a nice down upon it.

I am a typical bloke in many ways, I just take a bit of pride in my appearance. Ponce my dear Mum calls me, and she is probably correct. But it is all about feeling comfortable. Thus, I want a smooth shave, no spots, short, stylish hair, and comfy but cool clothes. Most ladies think I don't care about my looks, but it is all a mirage!!!!

Finally, Manchester's unique climate does tend to make us see the funny side of life. I am a proud Manc, but come June 2011, I will return to my spiritual home of Chiang Mai, and am just trying to do the necessary homework first. I'm sure you guys can understand.

But seriously for a moment, sensitive skin, spots and shaving, is NOT a joking matter. These things cause misery to thousands of men. I am open, and hope that other guys will be encouraged to talk about grooming and style issues -- maybe on this board.

The Gillette Sensor Excel-issue is genuinely important to me, and I'm hoping that someone will help me out.

Bloody hell, I can't believe I've been reading this post - I hope 2011 gets better!!

I bet your mate - s? in the Local at Manchester are really going to miss you and your marvellous conversation - Please let me know which Local pub you will choose in Chiang Mai.

This thread is just too good to pass up...

I use an extremely manly Gillette Fusion Power shaver. 5 front blades, plus 1 rear, and a AAA battery for "micropulse" vibration. This thing literally screams out, "Unwanted facial hair, you're outta here!" Replacement blade cartridges are small, lightweight, and take up very little room in a suitcase. When I moved here, I simply bought enough to last me a year and tossed them into my suitcase. Problem sorted. When I travel back to the US or Singapore, I just grab another years supply. If I run out, then I'll switch to whatever is available in Thailand. When I travel and forget a razor, a simple trip to one of the 8 million 7-11's is all it takes.

For something that is so small, lightweight, and trivial, why not just plan to throw a years supply into your suitcase and be done with it?

Alternatively, you can adapt and employ the standard Thai method of removing facial hair. its quite simple really. Anytime you are sitting a red light, turn the rear view mirror towards your face, grab two 1-Baht coins, and use the coins to pluck out whatever facial hair you see.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your time here and that sourcing replacement shaving cartridges is the biggest problem you ever encounter here.

-Mestizo

P.S. I would also recommend buying a year's worth of deodorant as well. I recall previously reading on TV where some newer posters were having a hard time finding deodorant as well!

This HAS to be the longest shaggy beard thread ever created. At the very, very least, it deserves an "Honorable Mention."

Aren't we just jumping the gun a little here? I fear you may not have been paying close enough attention to have noticed that this is only Part 1 of the soft soap saga. Mr.Charlie has promised or rather threatened us with those spine chilling words; "There are many Parts to come, don't worry! " So, happy shavers,batten down the hatches and hold on to your seats!

Sawasdee Khrup, Oh Tender-Skinned One,

Khun Asmermom's intuition has beat us to the punch-and-judy bowl here by suggesting a connection to the "cult of Pillion" thread, and, as we read this frippery start to finish, we had already thought we were viewing out-takes of the movie, "Son of Pillion," being shot locally, perhaps starring transvestite comedian Eddie Izzard, when Khun Asmermom nailed the jello to the wall.

Face tenderized by lots of hot water, then olive oil. Any old scraper. Hair gone. No cuts, no blood. Drink the kool-aid: you don't really need this meat-package.

~o:37;

One of the few "culture shocks" I've experienced is the price of Gillette shaving cream. What used to cost me about 60 baht equivalent (when on sale) back in the US costs at Carrefours about 210 baht, and the can is much smaller.

Perhaps I'm lucky but my triple bladed mach III turbo works just dandy on me and for three weeks I've just been using hand soap "lathered" as shaving cream. I did find a reasonable shaving "gel" in a plastic tube at Carrefours brand=Gatsby for 90 baht. I'm happy that I brought plenty of extra blades--I can't imagine what they cost here.

I think there is a lot of difference in skin between people and what works for one might not be the best for another.

Electrolysis won't work, it'd probably take (even assuming black hair) twenty rounds of complete facial electrolysis to eventually destroy the follicles.

Edited by jsflynn603

• 2 weeks later...