White Vinegar

smedly

Looking to buy a Large quantity of white vinegar, seems it can be used for removing rust from inside a petrol tank, much safer than hydrochloric acid

anyone know where I can get big bottles of the stuff and how much in thailand

thx in advance

Edited by smedly

If there is rust you will never get rid of it. In the UK there was stuff that you put in the tank and shake it around but tank must be removed first from the motor. :huh:

PS. Thought we were talking pickled onions.

Edited by transam

If there is rust you will never get rid of it. In the UK there was stuff that you put in the tank and shake it around but tank must be removed first from the motor. :huh:

I certaintly will get rid of it and the reason it's there is because I left the tank for a long period with gasohaul in there, it attracts moisture

I can also add salt to the vinegar which makes it a bit more potent, once done then baking soda to neutralise the acid and a good flushing with water then dry quickly, add meths to the next petrol fill which binds with any water left in there and that should do it

I certaintly will get rid of it and the reason it's there is because I left the tank for a long period with gasohaul in there, it attracts moisture

I can also add salt to the vinegar which makes it a bit more potent, once done then baking soda to neutralise the acid and a good flushing with water then dry quickly, add meths to the next petrol fill which binds with any water left in there and that should do it

Cool, good luck. :)

Talking about pickle onions mine are all ready now rolleyes.gif

Lucky sod. Mine are so hot and not to good that l can't eat them but l will try again. :)

The mrs will eat em though. :D

Lucky sod. Mine are so hot and not to good that l can't eat them but l will try again. :)

The mrs will eat em though. :D

Same here TS....put some chillis in some of the jars added a bit of colour and made it all look rather professional and look nice but way to hotttttttt to eat..but the mrs father wants to try them so will give him a few jars rolleyes.gif

Most supermarkets carry 1, 2 and 5l bottles of 'artificial vinegar' which is industrually produced (as opposed to fermented/malted) dilute acetic acid. That's what I buy for light descaling use.

any idea on cost, will prob need about 15ltr it's a big tank, leave for a day then upside down

cheers

any idea on cost, will prob need about 15ltr it's a big tank, leave for a day then upside down

cheers

It's very cheap. I buy Tesco's own-brand distilled white vinegar in 500 cl bottles for pickling and making relish. I think a bottle costs around 9 Baht. Presumably when buying an industrial quantity you would get it even cheaper.

cheers

It's very cheap. I buy Tesco's own-brand distilled white vinegar in 500 cl bottles for pickling and making relish. I think a bottle costs around 9 Baht. Presumably when buying an industrial quantity you would get it even cheaper.

thanks I checked makro today and they have a large stock 65b for 5ltr, strongest was 6% a little weak for what I want but will have to do

If you need stronger than that then it's a case of asking around local garages/auto suppliers for conc. battery acid (sulphuric) or plumbers suppliers for descaling acid (hydrochloric)

If you look at the toilet cleaners you will see that they are either HCl ( strong) or citric Acid ( weak)

Neither are acetic acid. Don't go for sulphuric acid, it's lethal!

not quite sure what the isopropanol is doing??? it's simply an alcohol and won't descale

the isopropanol is just part of the process, it absorbs water that is all I want it for, once I have cleaned and flushed out my petrol tank with water after the vinegar has done it;s stuff I will then wash the tank out with petrol and isopropanol then finally fill the tank with petrol and add a little isopropanol in case I missed some water left in there

petrol and water don't mix...............petrol isopropanol and water do

and I need about 1ltr

Edited by smedly